Anyone doing the Homemade Formula in NT? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am 35 weeks preggers right now. I am one of those lucky people with breast hypoplasia (aka insufficient glandular tissue) who has true supply issues. I am going to give BF a go again and have stocked up on Goat's Rue tincture to try and help the situation, plus I am making a tea concoction, plus looking into Lactation Aids (I used SNS last time for a long time, but had to supplement a LOT), but need a back-up plan. If anyone out there has used the recipe for formula in the back of NT, I'd love to hear reports. I'm especially interested in hearing how you managed it during the day, while travelling, etc...Any tips?

Thanks!
Heidi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 AM

This is one area where I differ greatly with NT. I believe this homemade formula idea is dangerous. While I do not believe that commercial formula is an adequate breastmilk substitute when real breastmilk is available, I concede that a *lot* of research has gone into formulating it. In the absence of real breastmilk, it is the second best option. Yes, even despite the problems with it - being made with dried milk powder (which is highly oxidized), refined sugars, etc. I do believe that commercial formula could be further improved - particularly, by providing it as a supplement powder that parents could add to their own (preferably raw!) milk. Despite all that, though, I do think it's superior to this entirely made-up formula.

I believe someone here did a nutritional analysis of the NT formula vs. breastmilk and formula, and it backed up my suspicions.

Personally, I would be pounding the pavement looking for private breastmilk donors. Early on nursing both of my girls, I donated a lot of milk to friends - 8-10 ounces a day.

Mama, . I wish I could help you with breastmilk this time 'round. This is such a tough thing. I helped my best friend go through exactly this. She's one of the women to whom I donated for many months. She bought domperidone from Canada, used goat's rue and pumped like a maniac trying to build up a supply. Her breast tissue was just too underdeveloped. She still regrets it like mad. And she's a vocal and ardent lactivist, despite having been forced to supplement a lot.
#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 PM

I have no experience with it, but the chapter leader in Denver used it with her adopted son. Their website is http://www.nourishingconnections.org (use IE to view) and you can get contact info there. She's also a nutritionist and writes tons of articles for the Wise Traditions newsletter and for the Vitamin Cottage newsletter. Good luck! I think SOMEONE here has experience with it if you do a search. But I only recall one or two threads.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't know if it's better or worse than commercial formula for a newborn, but I'd venture to say that it's definitely a better choice for older babies and toddlers who are already eating some solids.

Still, unpasturized donor milk (private donation) is your absolute best choice if supplementation is necessary, and pasturized donor milk (ie, from a milk bank) is a better choice than any formula.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#5 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM

I was in a similar situation, ie legitimate unreversible supply issue, with dd and my heart goes out to you. It's so awful to feel like you have to feed your baby poison.

I hadn't read NT at the time so we went with an organic cow's milk formula because the ingredients were the least scary. It's now made by Earth's Best. There's also a brand named Baby Only or something and it's organic, but the primary ingredient in Earth's Best is lactose and in the other one it's corn syrup. I got the formula from the health food store.

I utilized milk donated by a friend of mine; for several months I had one bottle a day of the expressed breast milk. We could not afford milk from a bank; the local one is something like $3.50 an ounce.

I did supplement with small amounts of fish oil from about 6 months or so for EFAs. And of course nursed for whatever little she can get from me, and still do to this day.
#6 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I was just reading weston prices book earlier, and it mentions that Quinoa stimulates breast milk flow. Not sure why but its worth looking into. Also according to WPF, gelatin and coconut oil / milk are also useful since coconut milk resembles real milk nutritionaly.
#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking into donor milk, too. No dice yet -- I just feel like I need a back-up plan. I'd love to see the nutritional analysis of the NT recipe vs. commercial (organic!) formula...anyone have that?

And I read that part about quinoa, too. I'm going to be doing oatmeal, quinoa plus lots o' good protein, veggies, etc... But this time I'm not going to count on a supply. Boy was I blindsided last time! We'll see; I hear that with second babies sometimes there can be a production increase.

I know one person in my neighborhood who does the NT formula recipe, but she started it when her child was about 5 months old. He's a happy, healthy little boy.

Heidi
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppeteermom View Post

And I read that part about quinoa, too. I'm going to be doing oatmeal, quinoa plus lots o' good protein, veggies, etc... But this time I'm not going to count on a supply. Boy was I blindsided last time! We'll see; I hear that with second babies sometimes there can be a production increase.
I went through the same thing myself, and wanted to give you and say that you are amazing for doing all the research and getting things together ahead of time. Wish I had info about the formula, but at least I can give you some support this way.
#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

i think it's definately better than commerical.

the NT recipes exceed the guidelines for infant formula given by the World Health Organization. The WHO recognizes that commercial formula is not available in some parts of the world where infants may still need to be fed but breastmilk is unavailable. their guidelines call for fresh, whole animal milk, a mineral supplement, and an addition of oil.

generally speaking, that is what commercial formula is, but the milk isn't always whole (it's very processed), the oils are rancid, and the mineral supplements are often chemical, not natural in origin and difficult to absorb. Thus, a home-made formula is actually better, since the ingredients are of a higher quality. And it's safe.
#10 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think it's definately better than commerical.

the NT recipes exceed the guidelines for infant formula given by the World Health Organization. The WHO recognizes that commercial formula is not available in some parts of the world where infants may still need to be fed but breastmilk is unavailable. their guidelines call for fresh, whole animal milk, a mineral supplement, and an addition of oil.

generally speaking, that is what commercial formula is, but the milk isn't always whole (it's very processed), the oils are rancid, and the mineral supplements are often chemical, not natural in origin and difficult to absorb. Thus, a home-made formula is actually better, since the ingredients are of a higher quality. And it's safe.
This is good to hear. I hadn't really thought about the fact that there are some parts of the world where commercial formula wouldn't be an option and breastmilk also unavailable. I would feel more like I am doing something more natural by following the NT recipe. I keep trying to figure out if there are any tips for combining some of the ingredients in the right proportion in advance to ease "production." Some of the ingredients I'm also not real familiar with, so I feel a bit intimidated.

Heidi
#11 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
I have no experience with it, but the chapter leader in Denver used it with her adopted son. Their website is http://www.nourishingconnections.org (use IE to view) and you can get contact info there. She's also a nutritionist and writes tons of articles for the Wise Traditions newsletter and for the Vitamin Cottage newsletter. Good luck! I think SOMEONE here has experience with it if you do a search. But I only recall one or two threads.
Thanks for the link. I found the article and will look more into it. She had some tips for preparation...Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page