traditionally made split pea soup - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is there a right and wrong way? How long do you soak the split peas? Anyone have any winner recipes they want to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh dang...I thought you were going to be sharing a recipe! When I saw your title it made me want some split pea soup!
#3 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:11 PM

I soak mine overnight... some people say you dont, but they are much better that way in my opinion. I use around a pound of peas dry ( I make as big of a pot as I can!) Sometimes I fry a couple of peices of bacon in the soup pot ( don't usually have the funds for meat or access to a nice ham hock) I throw in a couple of onions chopped fine and a couple of cloves of garlic finely sliced. Into the pot goes the stock... unsalted stock (I have honestly used any stock on hand.... chicken and turkey work out really nicely. ) a couple of bayleaves a good pinch of thyme, and some fresh pepper. I let this simmer until the peas are starting to fall apart. Then I add a couple of diced potatoes, a couple of diced carrots, maybe a diced squash. I let this simmer until the veggies are tender. I keep some buzzed up kale in a bag in my freezer and will usually stir a chunk of that into the soup right at the end. Season well with salt and pepper ( I usually put nutritional yeast in too). This soup is popular in my family! If I dont have meat I put a spoonful of miso in the bottom of everyones bowl and stir into it a small amount of soup to get it smooth before topping up the bowl.... If I do it this way I usually stir a handful of finely choppes cilantro into the soup at the end.

:

#4 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2 View Post
Oh dang...I thought you were going to be sharing a recipe! When I saw your title it made me want some split pea soup!
#5 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

YUM! I'm making it with chicken stock...I have never actually had a ham bone in my house. I think I may add some bacon though. Thanks for hte recipe! I'm trying it today! Out of curiosity what are the proportions? You said a pound of peas...how many quarts of stock? Just so I can get an idea.
#6 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:43 PM

As usual, I dont use recipes! I fill the pot almost to the top to simmer the beans.... I do the 5 or 6 liter pot I think ( you know.... the big one that comes with a set!) So for me , that is a full batch of chicken stock, if you dont use a bigger pot than that.

:
#7 of 10 Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Oh yes.... I chop the bacon into little pieces first befor I cook it up.
I am having a serious craving for it now too!

:
#8 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 01:26 AM

When I make split-pea soup I simmer a nitrate-free smoked ham hock with the broth for about 2 hours, then remove the bone and shred all the meat off of it and add it into the soup. It is very delicious.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#9 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I fry my veggies in bacon grease before I add them to the mix. The rest is like Village Mamas, I like to top each bowl with bacon, sometimes creme fraiche, too. However, a caveat, however long I presoak the peas, the soup still makes the 6 month old have terrible gas.
#10 of 10 Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM

my youngest had the most awful gas from beans imaginable. We were veggie before we had him , and we actually stopped eating beans because of it. By around two years old he was able to tolerate them perfectly!

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page