Desert TF - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know any tasty things to do w/ cactus fruit? Anyone ever cook w/ mesquite flour? It's the wrong season for this stuff, but I'm trying to brainstorm and plan ahead. I figure that since TF involves eating locally, and this stuff literally tends to grow on trees (and succulents) around here, it might be something to look into.

In general, anyone found ways of incorporating wild foods from their local area (other than meat) into their diets? And is suburban food gathering unwise? So many people around here really aren't interested in the produce of their own yards, which they consider ornamental, and who knows what chemicals have been sprayed where... I admit I'm guilty of that myself. I need to go pick some more oranges from my backyard.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep intending to harvest cactus here for nopales. I've had it pickled and fresh -- both very good. I hear it's very healthy but don't know the specifics.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
This book is on my xmas wishlist, I betcha it has some tasty recipes for ya.

Encarnación's Kitchen: Mexican Recipes from Nineteenth-Century California
- EncarnacionPinedo

ISBN: 0520236513

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page