Coconut Oil vs Coconut Milk? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do they both have the same benefits? I can do coconut milk easy, but the oil is a little harder for me. Anyone know the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 PM

If you put a can of coconut milk in the fridge and let it sit a while, you'll see a layer of coconut oil separate out and rise to the top. The milk is just whole ground coconut meat in liquid. So it has the oil in it.

If the oil hurts your stomach, start with a small amount and gradually build up.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#3 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Mountain Rose Herbs online store is a great place to get coconut oil if you decide you want a large quantity (like a gallon or more). There's a link at the top of the Health and Healing forum page which, if you place your order through there, will benefit MDC. It's $28 for a gallon of organic EVCO plus shipping which can be a bit high depending where you are. Even so, it's still much cheaper than the small containers at the HFS and tastes much better than some of the other brands I've tried (NOW, Spectrum, yuck).

#4 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Yes, I believe the ratio is that 10oz of full fat coconut milk contains as much fat as 3.5T of coconut oil, which is the recommended adult amount/day according to books by Bruce Fife.
#5 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yes, I believe the ratio is that 10oz of full fat coconut milk contains as much fat as 3.5T of coconut oil, which is the recommended adult amount/day according to books by Bruce Fife.
WOW, 3.5Tbs of CO per day?? Do people do these in capsules, or just straight?
#6 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 09:31 PM

We cook with it or put it into hot chocolate. It's easy to take in that much a day when you cook with it.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#7 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
yep. this is what he said at a WAP conference I attended. Basically, a can of coconut milk has the amount of oil he suggests.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#8 of 10 Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Or melt it into a breakfast smoothie with kefir & fruit
#9 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 PM

I love coconut oil, but am having a harder time with whole coconut milk (from the can) - it's just too dang heavy for me. I made the "Coconut Chicken Soup" from EFLF and it felt so full of oil, I almost couldn't finish it... Same with the coconut milk tonic - I just feel kind of guilty - like I'm eating all this fat and it kind scares me! Almost - is this really good for me? Somehow the raw milk tonic feels healthier...

I know Sally Fallon does not like the "lite" version of coconut milk, but can one use this and still be TF? Or can anyone offer any suggestions?
#10 of 10 Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 PM

Lite coconut milk is just coconut milk with water added. It's watered down coconut milk. So you could do it. Just add your own water!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page