Can't get raw milk??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to go NT and one thing that I'd want to change first is our consumption of dairy foods. We all 3 love dairy, and are not allergic to it. We drink organic skim milk. We use unhydrogenated magarine (Earth Balance), and organic cheeses. So, if it were a perfect Commonwealth in which I live, they would not have come down on the healthfood stores and farmers for selling raw milk. So, here are my thoughts. What do you think?

1. Unhomeogenized whole milk
2. raw butter (if I can get it) if not regular real butter
3. unpasteurized (possibly imported) cheeses

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's pretty much what we're dong while I'm searching for a source. I can't seem to penetrate the inner circle of farmers willing to sell raw milk. : I do eat some conventional cheeses but those are slowly dropping off my grocery list. $9 for organic shredded mozz was just entirely too much. :

The administrator of the local birth center seemed to have a source for me though. I'm so glad I volunteer there.
#3 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM

I've found raw cheddar cheese at the Ingles here in town (same brand as is sold at the HFS), about $3.50 for 8oz. Raw milk is illegal here, too, but my milk lady doesn't seem to know that

#4 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 AM

I'm not sure where you are, but the Kentucky page of realmilk.com had quite a few listings in case you haven't checked it out :

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html#ky

Also, sometimes if you check out the local farmer's markets you might find a source if you're willing to ask some questions.
#5 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the website needs to be updated. This is a more recent thing. You used to be able to get it many places locally as long as they advertised it as not for human consumption and gave instructions on how to feed a dog with it. Then, some farmers did cow shares. But, recently, I was told the local farmer on that list Kings Farms had to stop the cow shares because of the pressure.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 AM

Bummer. The only other thought I had was to contact WAPF chapter leaders in KY as they are usually a wonderful resource for finding raw milk :

Kentucky
Campbellsville: Mike Haliday, [email protected]
*******: Scott Daniels, (270) 427-4238, [email protected]
Louisville: John William Moody and Jessica E. Moody (502) 649-7838, w[email protected]
Northern Kentucky/Florence: Stacey Lang, DC (859) 331-2800, [email protected] and
Stephanie Potter (859) 689-1959, [email protected]

You might have already tried this, but I thought it was worth a mention.
#7 of 7 Old 07-22-2007, 12:51 AM

we have a tiny, farmer owned grocery store and we can buy raw milk retail there, even though it is illegal in MO. it is "mislabeled" hahaha.
keep looking...i am sure you will find a source!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page