How long can I keep old raw dairy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 or 4 quarts of month old raw milk yogurt and half quart of raw cream. We usually go through these pretty quickly but a couple weeks ago my fridge stopped working for one day. The temp in there was in the 60s so I was afraid to use them. Now they are still in there.

Can I strain the yogurt for whey and yogurt cheese? Would these still be good to consume? I usually put some whey in ds's juice. And he loves yogurt dough crackers.

Not sure what to do with the cream, if I make butter would that be considered cultured butter?

And on a side note, since raw milk doesn't go 'bad', do I need to worry about keeping it insulated if I'm going out with ds? Can I just put it in my bag? I've drank milk that I've left on the counter for over 5 hrs, but not sure if it's okay for toddlers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-15-2007, 02:39 PM

I dont' think i'd give months old raw milk to a little one. And once it's really old, I'm not sure what you could do with it except make compost.

I seem to remember something about cheese, but I think that is just with slightly soured milk, not months old
#3 of 3 Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 PM

it's only ONE month old, right???

don't throw it out!!!

if you don't want to consume it raw, then both the milk and the cream are great for soaking grains before baking (then they would be cooked through and you wouldn't need to worry about your little guy). if you don't do a lot of soaking, maybe you could freeze it and thaw for soaking...I know it can separate, but that wouldn't be an issue for soaking.

the yogurt might be fine. I'd say the smell and taste test will tell. if it's too sour then you can soak with it.

I know whey lasts about 6 months in the refrigerator so you can definitely separate it and keep that (you can drink it and I would give it to my toddler).

HTH

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page