Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which do you buy? What brand? Can you cook with both of them at higher temps? Which one actually taste like coconut and how much does that change the taste of the foods you cook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM

As far as I know, the label of "virgin," or "Extra Virgin" is just marketing. But do buy certified organic. Here's the breakdown:

Virgin - will taste coconutty. This comes in several varieties. You've got several variations of "tradionally made" and you have several versions that are machine extracted. The "traditionally made" or fermented varieties are probably healthier than machine extracted, but I can't say how or why that would be. I find the fermented stuff has a very strong flavor that I simply don't like. I prefer machine-extracted - seems milder flavored to me, but is also potentially less beneficial.

Expeller Pressed - Is more refined than Virgin, but is tasteless and odorless. I use this when I don't want a coconutty flavor imparted in my foods. But I find that buying the machine-extracted Virgin CO allows me more flexibility and I don't need to use this Expeller Pressed stuff so much.

Both are very shelf stable, healthy to eat, contain the medium chain fatty acids and lauric acid. Both are fine to cook with.

Some good online brands will be Tropical Traditions (don't buy anything from them unless it's on sale - sign up for their email specials.) and Wilderness Family Naturals. I actually recently discovered Mountain Rose Herbs (for virgin only). That is the cheapest I've found, and it has a very mild flavor. I don't know what I'm giving up in health benefits, or *if* I'm giving up health benefits by buying that brand, but I like it.
#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 AM

My DH hates all things coconut. I got some true virgin coconut oil from Radiant Life Company and he actually likes it. So much so he uses it when he is cooking. This is a man who could taste the smallest amount in food and couldnt handle it.

Not only do I use it for cooking/baking, its been wonderful on my skin! I use it everymorning after my shower.

Bobbi

Wife to Chris

Mama to Maggie

.http://snoodledoodles.blogspot.com/

#4 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
And you want unrefined, not refined.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM

I use tropical traditions - it is produced traditionally - I find it is a little more acidic than Garden of Life brand, but Garden of Life is more expensive (can not buy in bulk).

The only coconut oil I have found that is truly NASTY is Spectrum and the Really cheap stuff (LOU ANA) from Walmart.

HTH
#6 of 6 Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomesticdiva View Post
I use tropical traditions - it is produced traditionally - I find it is a little more acidic than Garden of Life brand, but Garden of Life is more expensive (can not buy in bulk).

The only coconut oil I have found that is truly NASTY is Spectrum and the Really cheap stuff (LOU ANA) from Walmart.

HTH
ITA with everything here. I ADORE the garden of life but I generally buy TT. Oh, and spectrum sucks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page