Fresh goat milk... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is sublime. I feel like Heidi when her grandfather gives her the goat milk in a little tin cup. I found a fresh goat milk supplier through my egg supplier (I've found the underground and picked up my first half gallon today. I wasn't even out of her driveway before I opened the bottle and took a swig. Then I kept opening it at intersections and taking another drink. I was supposed to share it with my off-dairy sisters tomorrow, but I'm afraid that I will drink it all tonight. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 PM

the first time I got raw goats milk it was in a gallon jar. I wanted to try it before I left to see if I should get more than one gallon and I ended up spilling it down my front when I went to take a drink. It was sublime, but I definitely didn't want to try drinking out of the jar again at any intersections before I got home!
#3 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
RAF

Oh yes, we love raw goat milk around here too. We raise Nubians, and my kids prefer the goat milk to cow milk. I don't understand why everyone thinks goat milk tastes funny.

#4 of 11 Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 PM

HOnestly, the 'goaty' taste kind of threw me off, but i feel so good about drinking it that I have worked past that . DS loves it.

My suppliers goats are dried up for the winter though (sniff sniff) so I only have a half quart left in the freezer - I had to ration my last gallon a half quart a week. DS feels special that he is the only one that gets it . Can't wait for spring!!!!

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
#5 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 11:50 AM

so, is goat's milk really "goaty?" is it true that the older it gets, the more goaty it tastes?

i dream of having a little milk goat or two someday, but i'm afraid of not liking the milk.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#6 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Some goat's produce different tasting milks, no? I have had goat's milk that was wonderful and awesome and then I had some that was not so good. More "goaty" to borrow the term. So, maybe it does depend on the goat breed.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#7 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 PM

good quality (animals treated well and fed well) uncontaminated (not around bucks and no hairs in the milk) and fresh goats milk tastes absolutely clean and fresh and delicious. After a week or so it gets a little goaty flavored, but not enough to keep me from drinking it happily.

I just thawed out some old frozen homemade goat cheese I got from a friend though, and that was goaty.
#8 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM

oh, yeah, is most goat cheese goaty? i've heard so.

i wish one could easily separate goat's milk cream, too. esp. for butter!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mine was not goaty at all. Much more mild that what I've bought in a store. My boyfriend said it didn't even taste like goat milk. There was just a hint of goat and saltiness as an aftertaste. We had some in our coffee this morning.
#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think there may be 'tasters' and 'non-tasters' of the flavor of goat milk. i say this because we kept goats while our cow was dry, and my son could not taste the difference- he was 4 and old enough to describe taste differences. my daughter, myself and dh could taste the difference, readily, but not tristan. it was wild! even when the cow freshened and we had both milks this was the case.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of five: ds (13) dd (11) ds (9) ds (7) and dd (2) Find me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
good quality (animals treated well and fed well) uncontaminated (not around bucks and no hairs in the milk) and fresh goats milk tastes absolutely clean and fresh and delicious.
Hmm, maybe we're talking about a different type of taste then. I know for certain the animals are healthy and that the milk is fresh. The milk tastes great, it is just the aftertaste that is 'goaty', and it gets stronger by the end of the week.

I guess i am just used to milk not having any "animal" taste about it, you know? Pasturized cow milk tastes like . .. hmm . . .like nothing, really . In canada, anyway . . . I had cows milk in the US (baltimore) while visiting my mom once and it was nasty, awful stuff. Anyway, I'm digressing in a major way, sorry

Anyway, just a matter of getting used to it, but it certainly isn't offensive tasting.

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page