Feeding Traditional Foods to Husbands - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of posts lately asking how to get our spouses eating a healthy more traditional foods diet. It seems most men are not opposed to the traditional aspect so far as meat, eggs, butter, milk, fat etc. (My dh loves that stuff!!) Seems it's the snacks and eating out that gets to them - they want their traditional American SAD junk. So how about a post of more traditional "junk" snacks for our husbands to eat.... What have you found that works? Or if there is some other aspect that your dh dislikes about TF what is it? Maybe we can offer suggestions to each other....

Here is what we do so far as making sure dh gets his "treats" so he doesn't want to bring home too much junk:

Make custard
5 eggs,
3/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
2 cups coconut milk (or milk)
sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon and put pan in larger pan of water; bake at 350 for 45 min or so til set like jello

Make weekly pizza and movie night
We don't soak the crust but do use 100% whole wheat pastry flour. Spreading the crust out really thin and prebaking it so it's sort of crispy makes it tastier we think. A nice compromise also would be to start with 25% or 50% wheat flour. The pastry flour is lighter than the other wheat flour. You can even get nitrate/trite free peperoni.

Make choc chip cookies
I use the Betty Crocker recipe with these changes:
coconut oil instead of shortening
whole butter instead of margarine
3/4 cup maple syrup instead of the sugar
organic choc chips (and other ingred organic too)
whole wheat pastry flour instead of white
because of the extra liquid in the sweetener you need to add extra flour. We add a cup of oats and then a bit more flour too. Consistency should be slightly stickier/gooeyer than normal. If it's the same consistency as normal the cookies will be dry. Dh *loves* these with a glass of raw milk.

Buy instant oatmeal for breakfast - better than cereal but still good for super quick mornings. I also finally got him hooked on breakfast milkshake/smoothies.

Encourage healthy eating but also encourage an occasional "treat" like Newman's Own oreos (or whatever they call them) which are seriously the bestest fake oreos ever. Often tho we'll get something like that, dh will have some and then bring the rest into work the next day. That way he can enjoy having them once or twice, but doesn't eat the entire bag of them.

Make homemade ice cream with honey instead of sugar.

We do occasionally have organic corn chips.

Now if only I could find a remedy for lousy lunches I suppose I could make his lunch, but I figure a guy ought to be able to get one meal a day responsibly. Ok, so maybe I'm expecting too much.... He just thinks it is soooooo much effort to have to think about eating beyond the fact of what immediately sounds good to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooh, I'm gonna have to try that recipe for choc. chip cookies! It sounds fantastic! I just attempted choc. chip cookies today, but they totally didn't turn out... first recipe from how to cook everything that just has. not. worked!
#3 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 PM

Mmmmmmmm, I'm gonna have to make cookies too!

popcorn with butter, parmesan, and garlic powder

jerky

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

#4 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 03:46 AM

My DH loves the peanut cookies recipe in NT. He is mostly GF and that recipe calls for arrowroot instead of flour. They are very yummy straight out of the oven. He also likes occasional jerky and popcorn.
#5 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM

My hubby has no sweet tooth at all, and doesn't like milk. His junk foods are:

Hot dogs (and, no, he doesn't want the nitrate-free kinds)
Potato chips
Cheese (I buy raw and "raw" organic cheese)
Biscuits-and-gravy (never yet met a good gluten-free biscuit, so he gets these at the cafeteria at work)
Crappy storebought squishy "wheat" bread
And the worst- Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches. Blech.

I've gotten him weaned off fast food, pretty darn well, thanks to all my food allergies.
I don't expect to make much more progress. If I were really sick and was told I had to get all the gluten out of the house, he'd understand and ditch the bread and Jimmy Deans, but I'm not... so he won't. He makes sure to not contaminate the counter with it.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#6 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Buy instant oatmeal for breakfast - better than cereal but still good for super quick mornings. I also finally got him hooked on breakfast milkshake/smoothies.

Make homemade ice cream with honey instead of sugar.

Now if only I could find a remedy for lousy lunches I suppose I could make his lunch, but I figure a guy ought to be able to get one meal a day responsibly. Ok, so maybe I'm expecting too much.... He just thinks it is soooooo much effort to have to think about eating beyond the fact of what immediately sounds good to him.
I buy rolled oats. Not as healthy as steel cut, but they cook a lot quicker. I've never been into the mushiness of oatmeal though. I pour boiling water over a bowl of rolled oats, stir and let it sit about 2 minutes, stir again and eat. I hate instant/quick oatmeal, it's so mushy.

I make my ice cream with either honey or maple syrup.

I pack his lunch every day (and have for years). Beyond the food choices, the sheer cost of eating lunch out every day convinced us to knock that off.

I also get organic corn chips from time to time, and sweet potato chips. Those are his two favorites, and I'm okay with that.

Beyond that he gets the occasional bowl of homemade mac & cheese, (bunless) burgers whenever he wants them, and grass-fed nitrate free sausages probably once a week.

The one thing I haven't been able to get him off of is the soda. I'm considering trying water kefir to wean him off the soda... I've managed to cut his consumption by probably about 2/3, but he still drinks a lot of it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM

I noticed this too. I'm new to traditional foods, and still making the transition. But DH loves it! He keeps calling me "Martha" (as in "The Jailed One") because of all my cooking. He says this in more of a tone of admiration than teasing. I thought all husbands wanted good, home cooking!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#8 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 PM

I feel that TF are loved by the men in my life! My parents do a lot of TF cooking too, and I kind of grew up that way. My husband likes the foods I prepare and he even does a little cooking too! I cannot wait to try the chocolate chip cookie recipe!:

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My husband has officially dubbed my new cooking as "The Crunchy Kitchen" LOL! We are set to pick up our first real farm fresh foods this coming Wednesday where we'll be trying for the first time raw milk, raw butter, grassfed beef and chicken. It should be interesting. Im trying to keep our regular recipes converted to TF as well as adding more recipes.

He's down for it all since I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. Plus he knows we both have pounds to lose, fatigue to beat and cavities to heal. Oh and to get ready for that little thing we might try called ttcing sometime late next year lol

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 PM

They come around eventually. He may do the grocery shopping, but woe betide him if things come home that weren't on the list I make.

I've been hearing a lot of things not tasting as good as he remembered lately or such and such junk food is 'too sweet', so it looks like I've changed his taste buds for him. He's also been hinting about can I try to make some of the pickled carrots he likes to snack on, and do we need more storage space for things to ferment. :

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#11 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 PM

I haven't gotten too far with mine. He doesn't generally eat breakfast. I make his lunches but do include chips, generally the least-unhealthy ones I can find. Although he likes to come home with white bread or really unhealthy chips He eats what I fix for dinner. I always have cheese (not raw or pastured, but we can't afford either) around for snacks. I make him rice pudding as a treat. Honestly, I've pretty much given up on him since he doesn't care what he eats and he makes a big fuss about the more expensive stuff I buy. If I put more effort into it I might be able to get him to eat a little better, but he won't ever give me suggestions for stuff I can do and I know he'll never give up the occasional box of breakfast cereal, blueberry pancake mix, and pop (he quits drinking pop on a regular basis only to start up again within a few weeks). Or eating at Taco Johns, or buying pizzas from Sam's Club...sigh.
#12 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 AM

I'm just a lurker, I but think there's a point where it's wrong to try to force an adult to change their diet.

I'm going to venture to guess that most of your partners realize that Taco Bell tacos, frozen pizzas, Coca Cola and M&M's aren't healthy food, but are making the informed choice to eat it anyway. It's their body, and unless they're incompetent to make choices about what they're doing to their body, it's kind of disrespectful to try to force the issue.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page