Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Foods (https://www.mothering.com/forum/365-traditional-foods/)
-   -   Pregnancy Help? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/365-traditional-foods/988001-pregnancy-help.html)

dogmom327 10-24-2008 12:33 PM

I'm posting here because I need a TF perspective and I know I can count on you guys

So it's official...or says 8 pregnancy tests in three days. At least I can come on here and talk about it. We are trying to keep it quiet otherwise.

Right now I'm trying to eat the best I can and focus on protein and fat with very little grain (but at least for a few days I have to do some grain since we're in the middle of moving and it's what I have that's easy to make). Last pregnancy was miserable from week 6 to 15 with all day nausea and dizziness. The last three weeks were PIH with the constant blood work, eating a crazy high protein diet (which I wasn't used to), etc. I wasn't trying to be TF then though so I have hope this will be better. I am also nursing DS (16 mo.) about 8 times in 24 hours at this point.

I'm taking prenatals but hate doing so. I'm also taking nettles and of course CLO/BO. I was going to start putting some liquid zinc and magnesium in my smoothie this morning (how much?). I drink lots of water kefir and am trying to have just one cup of kombucha a day (I feel like I need the b vitamins).

What else should I be taking?

mbravebird 10-24-2008 01:27 PM

Hi! Congratulations, mama!!

I've been considering starting a thread too. There's usually a monthly thread, but I haven't seen it yet, so maybe this will become it!

I'm six weeks, and trying to do it without prenatals, although now that the nausea has started I know that will be harder. My original smoothie recipe was:
homemade raw kefir
2 egg yolks
concentrace mineral supplement
acerola powder
wheat germ oil (for vitamin E)
coconut oil

I was doing that with an additional probiotic supplement, right after doing a couple of spoonfuls of raw liver, swallowed like a pill. I'm adding a folic acid supplement and a kelp supplement, and occasionally a B6 supplement, as well. I'm considering adding Dr. Ron's glandular/organ supplement to the mix, as well. I'm also doing occasional nettle infusion, occasional magnesium, and a cup of chicken broth daily. And I'm doing fermented CLO and additional fish oil.

I think I need more fermented veggies and probiotic foods. And when I did the nutritional analysis of my daily diet, I was low in thiamin and niacin, so I have to figure out how to address that. I'm thinking I'll just take a b-complex supplement instead of just the folic acid until I can figure out how to get more of those two B's. It sounds like kombucha would be a good source of that, but I've never drunk it before, and I've heard if you haven't had it before, you shouldn't start in pregnancy? Is that right?

So -- now for the reality that's hitting with the nausea. On tough days, I'm just not able to get all the food I want in me, which means my nutrients are down. But I think my fat-soluble vitamins are still high even on those days, so I'm thinking I can just supplement with the b complex on lower-food days. And with the nausea, I just can't add all those supplements to my smoothie, or I can't finish it. I'm taking the wheat germ oil by itself now with the other oils, cut out the coconut oil entirely (it makes me gag more than anything for some reason), so really I'm just doing the kefir and egg yolks together in the morning now, and just try to fit in the rest as I can throughout the day when I'm feeling good.

Have you found that the nausea improves the earlier you go to bed? I have been finding that if I go to bed at 8:00 with ds, I have a much better day the next day. If I do to bed even at 10 or 11, I'm sort of miserable with nausea the next day.

Oh, moving and nursing would be hard to do in addition to early pregnancy. Take it easy on yourself, and don't worry too much about the diet until you're stabilized again. Doing the basic good Tf diet stuff and taking the prenatals will be more than enough, I would think, and when you get settled you can figure out your long-term plan. Do you have support with the move? My heart goes out to you...

WuWei 10-24-2008 01:31 PM

Congratulations!! ::

I'd add yogurt for the Lactobaccillus, and coconut oil for the saturated fats. Can you eat salmon? That is great for essential fatty acids in a whole food form. I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and between, lol. Is the CLO fermented? It is substantially more nutritious, I believe. And bone broths, of course! Maybe nettle tea for the B vitamins?

Can you do cultured goat's milk dairy at all? Raw milk cheeses? You'd need a lot of meat and eggs to get enough protein. I believe the goal is 100grams of protein per day. And be sure you are getting at least 400mg Magnesium. And sea salt.

What about green juices for the potassium and folic acid? Maybe smoothies to pack it all in, as a portable drink. :

What calcium sources do you have?

There are a lot of homeopathics specifically for morning sickness, let me know if you'd like the list.

Pat

WuWei 10-24-2008 01:37 PM

The nux vomica and sepia are very commonly used for nausea. Sepia,
especially when you feel like you need extra TLC. It helps you to feel
loved more readily.

Ginger help for nausea too.

Here are some homeopathics for morning sickness which could feel similarly.

Nausea during pregnancy can be miserable. At at time when many changes are occurring (enough to adapt to already), it is often very
discouraging. Some women only feel ill or queasy in the morning, but
for some it lasts all day and is even troublesome at night. Discomfort
usually eases off by the third or fourth month, but not always.
Homeopathic remedies can be very helpful to a woman with morning
sickness and are safe to take during pregnancy.

Asarum: This remedy is indicated when a woman feels very ill, with
constant nausea and retching. She is extremely sensitive to
everything�especially noise, which can aggravate the nauseous
feelings. She feels best when lying down and resting. Cool drinks or
food may help, but it is hard for her to even think of eating.

Colchicum:
Horrible nausea that is worse from the sight and smell of
food (especially eggs or fish) often indicates this remedy. The woman
retches and vomits, and has a sore and bloated feeling in the abdomen.
She has trouble eating anything � although she often craves things,
when she tries to eat them they make her sick. She is likely to feel
ill from many smells that others don't even notice.

Ipecacuanha:
This remedy is indicated for intense and constant nausea
that is felt all day (not only in the morning) with retching,
belching, and excessive salivation. The woman may feel worse from
lying down, but also worse from motion. Even after the woman vomits,
she remains nauseous.

Kreosotum:
When this remedy is indicated, the woman may salivate so
much that she constantly swallows it, becoming nauseous. She may also
vomit up food that looks undigested, several hours after eating.

Lacticum acidum: This remedy is indicated for "classic morning
sickness": nausea worse immediately on waking in the morning and on
opening the eyes. The woman may salivate a lot and have burning
stomach pain. She usually has a decent appetite and feels better after
eating.

Nux vomica: Nausea, especially in the morning and after eating, may
respond to this remedy�especially if the woman is irritable,
impatient, and chilly. She may retch a lot and have the urge to vomit,
often without success. Her stomach feels sensitive and crampy, and she
may be constipated.

Pulsatilla: This remedy can be helpful if nausea is worse in the
afternoon and evening (often in the morning, as well). The woman is
not very thirsty, although she may feel better from drinking something
cool. She can crave many different foods, but feels sick from many
things (including foods she craves). Creamy foods or desserts may be
appealing, but can cause discomfort and burping or bring on vomiting.
A woman who needs this remedy usually is affectionate, insecure, and
weepy�wanting a lot of attention and comforting.

Sepia: Gnawing, intermittent nausea with an empty feeling in the
stomach suggests a need for this remedy. It is especially indicated
for a woman who is feeling irritable, sad, worn out, and indifferent
to her family. She feels worst in the morning before she eats, but is
not improved by eating and may vomit afterward. Nausea can be worse
when she is lying on her side. Odors of any kind may aggravate the
symptoms. Food often tastes too salty. She may lose her taste for many
foods, but may still crave vinegar and sour things.

Tabacum: This remedy can be helpful to a woman who feels a ghastly
nausea with a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. She looks
extremely pale, feels very cold and faint, and needs to lie very still
and keep her eyes closed. If she moves at all, she may vomit
violently�or break out in cold sweat and feel terrible.

http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/preg...meopathic.html

Hope you feel better. Some Bach Flower remedies might help too.

Pat

mbravebird 10-24-2008 01:42 PM

Here's the site that does the nutritional analysis of daily food intake:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
Click on "track", and it will tell you what to do.

Pat, I'd be interested in the list of homeopathic remedies! Oh, look, I see you just posted it while I was posting! Thanks...

mbravebird 10-24-2008 01:48 PM

Oooh, not to serial post, but I just remembered that I've been searching for a good source of fish eggs -- I've found a few sources, but they're all prohibitively expensive. I'd rather eat fish eggs than take fish oil (they have similar amounts of Omega 3's), and I know fish eggs are prized as pregnancy support in traditional cultures.

Anyone have ideas for good sources of fish eggs that won't cost an arm and a leg? I'm thinking of asking for some for Christmas, lol.

WuWei 10-24-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Oooh, not to serial post, but I just remembered that I've been searching for a good source of fish eggs -- I've found a few sources, but they're all prohibitively expensive.
Like how expensive? Cause we could use some delicious, concentrated protein here. But, don't you have to do something to them before eating them, shell them or something? What is your source of quality, heavy metal tested fish eggs? Is it priced like caviar? Is there a cheap caviar? LOL

Pat

mbravebird 10-24-2008 02:19 PM

These are the sources I've found:

Live Superfoods dried wild salmon eggs, $28 for 8oz:
http://livesuperfoods.com/LOK007.html

Vital choice wild salmon roe, about $24 for 6 oz:
http://www.vitalchoice.com/product/w...iar-ikura-6-oz

They're both from TF-themed companies, but I didn't read anywhere that they're tested for metals, just that they're caught in pristine waters.

Farm-raised roe is a cheaper option, but it has its drawbacks, too. It seems like Taruma (made by Krinos) is the best non-dyed off-the-shelf source, and it's pretty affordable at between $5-8 a jar. It's carp roe, but I'm not sure if it's wild or farmed. I'm assuming it's farmed. I've heard people refer to it as wild carp roe, but that isn't anywhere on their label. So farmed roe would mean no heavy metals, but a lower nutrient profile, right? It might be the best compromise.

Here's one more source of wild, fresh carp roe -- but you do have to order the fish, too:
http://greatriverfish.com/products.html

Have fun exploring! Let me know if you find anything else.

WuWei 10-24-2008 03:15 PM

Thanks for the links. I think I like the idea of it, more than the photos. I'm wigging out a bit about baby fish eggs, although, intellectually I know I've enjoyed them in the past. So, I think I might stick with my adult salmon.

Sorry for the hijack.

Pat

guestmama9904 10-24-2008 06:03 PM

i dont know, i was eating tf prior to getting pregnant and then ended up with hyperemisis and wanted to die and could only eat fruit, non-tf cereal and milk and not much else. the nausea did disipitate by 15 weeks but it took until about 24 weeks pregnant for me to sort of like food again. for me, kombucha became instantly disgusting once i became pregnant and i now, at 35+ weeks want to drink it but throw up if i do. i do take nordic naturals CLO daily and have on and off taken Floradix herabl iron formula. but i didn't ever take a prenatal as they all made me want to vomit, even the uber expensive ones made from fermented foods.

quietserena 10-24-2008 09:28 PM

In the first trimester for me personally it was "eat what will stay down and keep to proteins and fats". Everything else went out. I didn't have CLO for *months* because I wouldn't be able to handle it. Same thing for a bunch of other stuff I was taking.

My system didn't like much more than fruit for weeks on end...

However, now that I'm 30 weeks, things are a lot simpler. Protein and eggs are back as are greens and most vegetables. Still have some trouble cooking ground beef but hey..

I'll try to find the preggo thread and bump it.

Staciemao 10-25-2008 01:11 AM

Wooooo hoooooooo!!!!!!!:::

I don't have much advice...but I am very very very happy for you guys!

I don't really get a LOT of nausea while pregnant, but when I am a little queasy I have found that I need proteins that don't taste like proteins. So I do nut butters and nut flours. A banana and homemade cashew butter is the best breakfast in the world while you're preggo. Or yogurt with cinnamon...cinnamon will also keep your blood sugar stable.

Other than that...you know what to do. You've been doing this whole TF thing for a while now and are on top of it. Just keep making good food choices and you'll be fine. Plus I think second pregnancies are easier than firsts. You're not nearly as anxious or focused on being pregnant.

Congratulations Mama! I have to do the happy dance a leeeeetle more. :::

Stacie

Jojo F. 10-25-2008 01:25 AM

Congrats mama!!! :

This pregnancy could and will most likely be completely different from your first. So far that is the case with me, thank heavens!! I wasn't sick with nausea but I did have pre-e.

So far my protein intake has been great- CLO, grass fed beef, raw egg yolks(the infamous full fat smoothie loaded with coconut oil and any other goodies you can fit in there), hemp, etc. Sorry, just can't do the fish eggs. You might want to add a bit more CLO into your daily diet beacause 1- you are pregnant, 2- you are still nursing, and 3- there is less sun now.
-Good dairy products- raw milk, raw dairy cheeses, milk kefir, pastured butter(that sounds funny;P).
-Fermented veggies- I am eating mostly sauerkraut. Cabbage is really good for you so I figure why not fermented?!
-LOTS of stock, everything has some stock in it one way or another.
-Liver- I mash it and add it to the stock or gravy. DH doesn't like the taste but I honestly can't tell it's in there.
-Crispy nuts and some dried fruit like raisins and sour cherries I keep a nd big jar handy for snacking
-This time I'm not as afraid to eat fish- good sources and low to no mercury. I find myself eating a whole can of smoked herring(kippers) or sardines at least once a week, yummy bones and all.

Another thing I am doing to make sure my diet is on track is making herbal infusions and drinking them daily- you must drink them on a regular basis for them to do their job. Susan Weed's Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year has been an invaluble resource for me. RRL, nettle, red clover, alfalfa, dandelion leaf especially, a bit of peppermint or ginger depending on what I want and raw honey. A little kombucha here and there.

The dandelion is especially good for you because it supports the liver and kidneys and while we are pregnant those organs are a little taxed and that can lead to problems, ie- PIH/pre-e. Fresh raw beets are great for this too. Beet kvass anyone?

Basically, good sources of food and eating what I crave. In the beginning it was vegetables and fruits, then it was meats and starches- mostly potatoes and alternative grains like quinoa(even though it's not really a grain) creamy hot buckwheat porridge, and now I'm going back to veggies and fruits. All in all it's a well rounded diet with a bit of chocolate thrown in for good measure

Not sure if any of this was helpful but I'm feeling quite talkative tonight

quietserena-

dogmom327 10-25-2008 02:02 AM

You guys are awesome! I'm going to reread everything tomorrow morning (when I'm rested--it's been a long day) and start making some plans!