Recipe 1 of 5: Vegetarian Christmas Dinner Menu
Christmas is near, I've decided to share with you 5 ideas to prepare a vegetarian christmas dinner menu
I've decided to cut this post in 5 pieces, tomorrow I'll post part2 and so on.
RECIPE1: CRISPY GNOCCHI WITH MUSHROOMS, ASPARAGUS, AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 1 package vegan gnocchi
- 1 bag frozen baby Brussel sprouts or fresh
- 12 oz. cremini or white mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus (or other veggie of your choice, fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I always use double garlic)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
I hope you enjoy this recipe, tomorrow part 2 "DINNER-STYLE ‘FAKE MEAT’ LOAF"
- Preheat large sauté pan with medium heat. Add 1 Tbs. oil to pan. When the oil is hot, add the gnocchi to the pan, being sure to keep them all separated. Let cook about 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbs. oil to pan and add Brussel sprouts. If they are large Brussel sprouts, halve or quarter them into bite-sized pieces. Cook about 4 minutes on each side until browned and softened. If using frozen Brussel sprouts, they may need to cook longer on a lower temperature to be sure they are cooked through to the middle but you can add them directly to the pan with no need to defrost them. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add last Tbs. of oil to pan and add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook about 5-6 minutes until mushrooms are soft and creamy. Meanwhile, if you are using fresh asparagus, steam them for a few minutes to soften them. I do it by putting them in a covered dish with a bit of water and popping them in the microwave for 3 minutes but you can do it the old fashioned way too. If you are using a frozen veggie, you can add it directly to the pan or defrost it first, depending on the water content (for example, I would add frozen asparagus directly but I would defrost spinach). When the asparagus is steamed, let cool to the touch and cut them into pieces, keeping the tips on the side. Add the pieces to the pan with the mushrooms and stir.
- Add the gnocchi and the Brussel sprouts back to the pan and let everything heat through. Garnish with the asparagus tips and parsley, if you want.
Last edited by busyvegetarians; 11-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.