Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian and Vegan (https://www.mothering.com/forum/366-vegetarian-vegan/)
-   -   Granola Bar Recipe? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/366-vegetarian-vegan/1546305-granola-bar-recipe.html)

shabish2002 01-02-2016 10:46 PM

Granola Bar Recipe?

I've messed around with a few recipes but have yet to find one the kids & I really enjoy. I would like it to be similar to the oats ^ honey bars that I buy. Please let me know if you have a great recipe. Thanks

happyhermit 01-04-2016 02:40 PM

Here's my favourite granola bar recipe... I like that it uses ratios so you can swap out ingredients for the ones you like best... They come out quite chewy and are super delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups total Grain flakes: All of one, or a combo of rolled oats, barley flakes, rice flakes, quinoa flakes, rye flakes, rice puffs, etc…
  • 1 cup total Nuts & Seeds & 1 t total spices: Flavor with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or another favorite spice. Any combo of your favorite nuts or seeds: almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax, etc
  • 1/3 + 1/4 cup Liquid Sweetener: To sweeten the bars and add moisture, add honey, molasses, maple syrup, etc. or a combo of your choices.
  • 1 cup total Dried Fruit &/or Chocolate: Combine or pick one: dehydrated berries, raisins, craisins, chocolate chips or chunks (white, dark, milk), shredded coconut, diced dried pineapple, apple, apricot, mango, figs, prunes etc…
  • 1 cup total Binder: Nut or seed butter of your choice: sunflower seed butter, almond butter, peanut butter, tahini, etc..

Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment/wax paper.
  • Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Combine wet ingredients in a different bowl.
  • Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix till well combined.
  • Press granola bar mixture into the baking pan. Cut into 8 bars BEFORE baking.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • Let cool completely (I put mine in the fridge on a hot pad) before removing bars from the pan.
  • Enjoy!

My Version of Chewy Coconut Granola Bars:

Ingredients:

2 ½ cups rolled oats (look for a gluten-free brand)
¼ cup ground flax
¼ cup raw sesame seeds
¼ cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup white chocolate chips
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
⅓ plus ¼ cup honey
1 cup sunflower seed butter

shabish2002 01-09-2016 05:07 PM

Thanks so much! I can't wait to try it.