• 1 Post By IsaFrench
  • 1 Post By IsaFrench
  • 1 Post By IsaFrench

#1 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Vegan Diet to Reverse Diabetes?

I realize that it's been cricket-chirp dead in here, but I'll try this anyway.

Do any of you have experience using a vegan diet to reverse symptoms of diabetes? Dr. Neil Barnard prescribes it to his patients with some success. I haven't been diagnosed as diabetic, but my fasting glucose level came in higher than I'd like to see. I've given up simple carbs and am already feeling better.

There's a competing school of thought encouraging a low-carb, high-fat diet, so my head is swimming.

I'm currently an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but moving to a vegan diet won't be a big deal for me. TIA for any feedback.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I think the best proven way to reduce/eliminate symptoms of Type II diabetes is fairly rapid weight loss. It probably doesn’t matter too much how you achieve it. A plant-based diet is healthiest but there is nothing inherently present in animal products which are going to be an issue.

Michael Mosley is a GP and medical journalist who has recently written an evidence-based book on the diet he used to reverse symptoms of Type II diabetes. The general gist is a short term, significant calorie restriction (about 800 calories/day for eight weeks) to lose weight, followed by a much less restrictive maintenance diet.

The main criticism of the book o have heard is that he uses the word “cure” when talking about his diabetes. Diabetes Australia argue that his diabetes isn’t cured as, if he reverted to his old habits and regained weight then his symptoms would return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 11 Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
I think the best proven way to reduce/eliminate symptoms of Type II diabetes is fairly rapid weight loss. It probably doesn’t matter too much how you achieve it. A plant-based diet is healthiest but there is nothing inherently present in animal products which are going to be an issue.

Michael Mosley is a GP and medical journalist who has recently written an evidence-based book on the diet he used to reverse symptoms of Type II diabetes. The general gist is a short term, significant calorie restriction (about 800 calories/day for eight weeks) to lose weight, followed by a much less restrictive maintenance diet.

The main criticism of the book o have heard is that he uses the word “cure” when talking about his diabetes. Diabetes Australia argue that his diabetes isn’t cured as, if he reverted to his old habits and regained weight then his symptoms would return.

This is helpful. Thanks.

The amount of contradictory information out there is ludicrous, and each party claims to have a ton of evidence. There's an entirely different school of thought claiming that in order to tame the leptin, it's necessary to go off all simple and complex carbs for three weeks with only a gradual reintroduction after than. Some are saying, "Yes, more fat!" Others: "No, no! Fats and oils are terrible for you!" There are major battles going on over the right dietary choices.

For now, I'm going to try Barnard's and see what happens to my blood sugar and insulin. That's why I'm reaching out to MDC vegans, assuming there are any left around here.

#teamvaxchoice

Last edited by Turquesa; 11-20-2017 at 09:32 AM.

#4 of 11 Old 11-19-2017, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
This is helpful. Thanks.

The amount of contradictory information out there is ludicrous, and each party claims to have a ton of evidence.

Yes, it is very frustrating. One of the reasons I like Michael Mosley is that he cites his sources so you can check the research for yourself without too much trouble. Of course you can do that with any of them but it’s just more time consuming if no references are provided.

All the best with it anyway. I’d be interested to know how you go if you feel like updating in the future.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
my BIL is not vegan but was diagnosed or at least very borderline (with a strong family history ....) earlier in the year & i suggested to him the same Dr. Mosley plan of 800 cal per day for 8 weeks .... i was not around so don't know how he ate but he DID lose at least 8 -10 kg within 2 to 3 months (he didn't give much details, we just exchanged text messages every now and then ...) and the last i heard, all his blood markers were much improved ....

could you possibly combine vegan/800 cal per day/ AS WELL as this Dr. Neil Barnard you mention ???

one of the "public figures" who tested that Dr. Mosley approach is/was a Scottish MP (... a public figure ... cannot scoff off food on the sly ... bound to be seen by "someone" & could be leaked to the press and so on .... so managed to stick to it ...) ...am not 100% certain, but well may be the person who used some ready made shakes ... NOT that i advise doing that at all (i prefer the Zoe Harcombe type of food plan = REAL food in their most natural form as possible ...) but it seems to show that indeed the rapid weight loss over 8 weeks "only" is the key there .... (whatever they type of food you choose to eat/ like eating ...)
#6 of 11 Old 11-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, too. I don't eat meat and fish for 2 years. I have noticed a lot of changes in my organizm, but they aren't bad at all. It's interesting to know that shugar level can change because of my diet. I have never heard about it. But I've heard that vegeterenian diet can change you endocrine profile. Maybe, this effect can change sugar level. I'll go and check it. It's important for my organism, I think.

Add colours into your life:

#7 of 11 Old 11-19-2017, 10:56 AM

about the low carb high fat way of eating
- it is harder to only eat 800 cal per day high fat for most people (it's a very small amount in your plate ... you could try it vegan by mesuring how much/little coconut oil put on your veggies each meal, coconut oil makes you feel satiated for some reason ...you then are just NOT hungry ... which turns out irritating when you are used to using food for emotional support ... and then don't even have the excuse of hunger ... to indulge ...)

low carb/high fat CAN be used to loose weight ...it's very well explained in the Zoe Harcombe way of loosing weight .... but that way will NOT produce as fast results as the 800 cal per day approach. On that type of food plan you either have a fat meal OR a non fat-starch meal, at 4 hours distance minimum (no snacking in between), but you choose whatever you want to eat ... most people prefer a fat meal .... turns out that DH prefers to have 2 starch-non fat meals per day and 1 fat meal ... and it works for him (all in all he lost 18 kgs, but there were time of plateau ... i didn't inquire about all of the time he was not loosing ... but i believe that at one period of time, he would eat his meal prepared from home THEN go out from work mid day .... to go and buy himself a giganormous cookie .... which combines starch and fat ... so...hardly surprising ...)
Natalia Zakomirna likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 11-19-2017, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback but have to stress that for reasons I won't delve into, (but are supported by my physician), and 800-calorie-per-day diet would be an extremely poor choice for me. I'm posting in the vegan forum because I'd like to explore this particular option. I bought one of Barnard's books and will comb through his citations. If anyone has personal experience with this plan, I'd love to hear about it.

#teamvaxchoice

#9 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM

just out of curiosity, what approach have you settled for ? = what makes you feel good about your present food choices & why ...
take care,
isa.
Turquesa likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
just out of curiosity, what approach have you settled for ? = what makes you feel good about your present food choices & why ...
take care,
isa.
Honestly, I'm taking these changes very slowly - contrary to the advice of all of the diabetes pundits. Just removing refined sugar and white flour from my diet has made a wonderful difference! I don't experience the sugar crashes and mood swings.

Even better, I don't want sugar anymore. I seriously baked an entire batch of cookies with my LOs today and did not feel tempted to take a taste. It felt weird, not like me at all!

After getting used to this small change, I'll make a decision about what to do next. I'm not going to panic yet. It's pre-diabetes, not the real thing. I don't want to spend my golden years worrying about with blood tests and insulin injections, so I'm trying to get things under control now, while I'm still somewhat young.

#teamvaxchoice

#11 of 11 Old 12-02-2017, 12:38 AM

am glad you found something which worked for your in the "here and now" ... although i would have said that removing refined sugar and white flour IS a big step (considering that if you look closely at everything that is considered "mainstream" ... they seem to be everywhere ...)

& after DH and myself "educated ourselves" with learning all about that Zoe Harcombe no non sense way of considering food, we now consider that it is the right approach in order to avoid insulin resistance in the body (and the variety of "civilisation illnesses" usually experienced in later stages in life ...)

...the only hitch for me is that i haven't managed to convince my children that their food choices of today may not yet be showing in still young bodies

... i've also been experimenting (just for myself, DH is not yet ready of that ...) into eating two raw meals per day (due to my own health issues); so that usually ends up being fruit in the morning & a huge salad with home made dressing and soaked nuts as protein for lunch with various small amounts of raw garlic, onion, parsley etc ... supposed to be good for feeding the good bugs in the intestine ... that was after meeting someone who did the same for some other serious health scare & who lent me a book about eating food that is "alive" (i don't mean animal food, i mean plant food that is not processed ...)
Turquesa likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page