Vegetarian & Vegan Mama's Tribe - Mothering Forums

#1 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody want a Veggie Mama's tribe? There is the Vegetarian & Vegan area in the eating section but thought maybe people would be interested in a tribe.

Intro for myself. Mama to an almost 2 year old DS and been a ovo-lacto
Vegetarian for almost three years now. Ds's dad is a very supportive meat eater. and still in debate about ever introducing meat to DS.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 AM

I'm not a mama but vegan.... so I won't fit. But the forum is very specific and in a tribe you can talk about anything.. so that means it's a good thing to have one!
#3 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Hi!
I've been vegan for about 3 1/2 years, hubby's been vegan for about a year. Our first baby is due in October/November, and she (we're pretty sure it's a girl) will be raised vegan.

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)

#4 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Hi...I am the other veg in Fairbanks! I thought I was the only one...just kidding...kind of:
I have 3 kids...my youngest DD is the only veg by virtue of breastfeeding. The older two will eat pretty much anything. Unfortunatly DS is beginning to equate meateating with manliness...a guy thing, yk? I just leave it alone. I don't want to create food battles and I figure at 7 he has the right to chose. That's not to say I don't explain about meat/milk/eggs when asked. I don't cook it either!

ok...enough rambling....gotta go make some hummus...oh yeah, my point was I would love a veggie mommma tribe
#5 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM

I'd love one. I stopped eating meat when I was eight years old, in 1973, although I have eaten it on occaision since in times of die need (like when I couldn't find anything else in a dumpster and had gone many days without eating). dd has a dairy allergy and has been vegan her whole life. I can't remember if her allergy was discovered before or after ds was born, but I was mostly vegan while tandem nursing, anyway.

I will very rarely eat dairy but want to avoid it as close to 100% as possible during this pregnancy and while I am nursing this new babe, at the very least.
#6 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM

Add me to this tribe (ovo/lacto)... Here's something that I noticed, my breastmilk has a slightly greenish tinge to it.

I am also curious about whether or not may diet has any effect on DS growth, menstrual cycle (thankfully, hasn't returned, DS is 6 months) and other things.

DH is a meat eater and DS will be as well, unless he chooses otherwise.
#7 of 414 Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 PM

Does anyone else get grief about being veg while pregnant and/or nursing? I have gotten so tired of the comments about baby needing meat to grow and the "eternal question" are you getting enough protein....
My two oldest kiddos have heart anomalies and it was insinuated numerous times that being veg while pregnant must have caused it:
I ignore the comments now, but they still hurt. I don't know why people get so defensive about what I eat or dont eat!

Lunapier- DD is 8months old and no menstrual cycle for me either...knock on wood, of course! I do notice more green poo (her!) when i eat lots of greens..I don't pump so I have no idea what my milk looks like, but I have heard that consuming copius amounts of beets can cause breastmilk to have a pink tinge.
#8 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
I'm not a mama but vegan.... so I won't fit.
Well someday you'll be a mama, right? Sounds like you count to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonia View Post
Hi...I am the other veg in Fairbanks! I thought I was the only one...just kidding...kind of:
Unfortunatly DS is beginning to equate meateating with manliness...a guy thing, yk?
Woooo veggie mamas in Fairbanks! I understand DH is very supportive but has it in his head that it's not healthy for guys to be vegetarians. :

Quote:
Does anyone else get grief about being veg while pregnant and/or nursing? I have gotten so tired of the comments about baby needing meat to grow and the "eternal question" are you getting enough protein.....
I get stuff about it all the time. People would be like "we know you want to not eat meat but maybe you should have a little chicken... you know for the baby..." or "you could just not eat red meat"

People are really silly about eating habits. I had to exsplain over and over again (and I still am) about how yes I am getting plenty of protein and in fact most Americans get way too much protein... :sigh: So many otherwise smart people can't understand what it is you eat if you don't have any meat.

As for the poo I've heard green poo is a sign that baby isn't getting enough hind milk but I personably have noticed that when I was at the hos with DS all I could eat at the hos cafeteria was salaed and DS's poo was really green!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#9 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else get grief about being veg while pregnant and/or nursing? I have gotten so tired of the comments about baby needing meat to grow and the "eternal question" are you getting enough protein....
My two oldest kiddos have heart anomalies and it was insinuated numerous times that being veg while pregnant must have caused it:
I ignore the comments now, but they still hurt. I don't know why people get so defensive about what I eat or dont eat!

Lunapier- DD is 8months old and no menstrual cycle for me either...knock on wood, of course! I do notice more green poo (her!) when i eat lots of greens..I don't pump so I have no idea what my milk looks like, but I have heard that consuming copius amounts of beets can cause breastmilk to have a pink tinge.
Caledonia, my friend, I heard it all the dang time! I certainly got enough protein (about 80 grams a day, followed the Bradley diet). I also heard comments about exercising... so really, I just learned to shut those people/comments out of my life.

My son, had a small heart issue, premature atrial contractions. I think that I will have his heart checked out when he is older. But, I do not think that is related to my diet. It could be related to genetics (sibling's child born with hole in heart) or it could be that he felt squished in my uterus because he had to share it with a 10 cm fibroid!
#10 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Hello. I've been veg for 20+ years. Ds since birth and dh for about 7 yrs. I was thrown off of the veg eating board for insisting that one isn't vegetarian if one knowingly continues to eat something with meat in it... gotta love that! hahahahahah...

I was vegan for about 8 years and feel I'm on the road back to being vegan. We don't eat cheese w/ animal rennett and we don't use/wear leather and we're super cautious of geletin and the works.

that's us!
#11 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Unfortunatly DS is beginning to equate meateating with manliness...a guy thing, yk? I just leave it alone. I don't want to create food battles and I figure at 7 he has the right to chose. That's not to say I don't explain about meat/milk/eggs when asked. I don't cook it either!

that's so unfortunate! Why do you leave it alone when his notion that meat eating equates manliness is so inaccurate? so, manliness is equal to one's right to murder other beings???? this is so confusing to me. My dh is a builder. He's 6feet4 and 220lbs. He has a farmer's tan. He has a deep voice and watches any thing sports. He's a man and he's an animal activist and a vegetarian. My ds is a tough wirey guy. He LOVES being a boy and takes a lot of pride in his vegetarian ideals and his general knowledge of meat and animals and the works. he equates meat eating w/ ingnorance. and I think that is a more accurate frame of mind... not ignorance like an insult but ignorance as in one's choice to NOT understand something when all the information is available....
#12 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

i'm vegetarian (ovo-lacto). my husband is omnivorous. i have been vegetarian for 8 or so years, 5 or so of those years were vegan. i have strong raw leanings--about 70% of my diet is raw. i prefer raw foods. i am very, very low soy (only eat it when out to dinner).

i do not have any children yet, but right now i'm fine-tuning my preconception diet. i'm taking Udo's Perfect Blend oil with DHA as my only supplement. I am considering taking a probiotic--but i haven't decided. I'm going to use some of the herbal teas in Susun Weed's book Wise Woman Herbal for the Child Bearing Year to help condition my womb and fertility cycle.

my husband is omnivorous (traditional foods style).

we have discussed at length how to raise our children (omni or veg) and we have yet to come to agreement on that. i'm sure we will. it's one of those things that may be decided 'in the moment.' the struggle is that i believe that both diets are healthy for children (omni and veg) and he believes that only omni is (that it's 'optimal'). i feel that, spiritually speaking, that it's best to keep the kid's karma the lowest possible--and let him/her decide to do omni later rather than simply introducing meat and letting him/her choose veg later (because there's still the karmic impact).

we're at a bit of an impasse.

of course, not a lot of babies are pro-meat--they seem to have a preference for other foods instead. which means that we could easily 'end up with' a vegetarian. and besides, i expect to breastfeed mostly for the first year anyway.
#13 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking that when the time comes ds can be introduced to meat but I am going to limit it to localy raised and/or local wild caught by DH or someone we know. No packaged meat whatsoever. that way DH can't say I am forcing him to be veggie but at the same time that reduces the amount and keeps quality control.
(and hopefully ds will go veg)

#14 of 414 Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
I'm thinking that when the time comes ds can be introduced to meat but I am going to limit it to localy raised and/or local wild caught by DH or someone we know. No packaged meat whatsoever. that way DH can't say I am forcing him to be veggie but at the same time that reduces the amount and keeps quality control.
(and hopefully ds will go veg)

Hmmm... that's a thought!
#15 of 414 Old 07-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I am sorry that you have had to endure comments like that! I just had my second dd in April Yes, through the whole pregnancy people made comments about me needing to eat meat or "the baby wont grow." When Jorie was born she was 11lbs 4 oz. I havent heard a comment since
#16 of 414 Old 07-04-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Well someday you'll be a mama, right? Sounds like you count to me!
thanks. then i'll do the intro as well: I've been vegan for 5 years but only strict for 4. I have knowingly eaten vegetarian food before then, but not since. I do it for ethical reasons mostly but have also read up on health benefits. Certainly never going back to meat but I COULD consider vegetarian if I absolutely had to for health reasons. As it is I get my blood checked and so far it's been fine. I tend to like a lot of sweet junk thrown in but I'm working on that. DH is vegetarian with lactose intolerance, he eats rennet-free cheeses and some yoghurts but not so much lately. All our shared meals are vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i do not have any children yet, but right now i'm fine-tuning my preconception diet. i'm taking Udo's Perfect Blend oil with DHA as my only supplement. I'm going to use some of the herbal teas in Susun Weed's book Wise Woman Herbal for the Child Bearing Year to help condition my womb and fertility cycle.
What else is in the oil? I eat grounded flaxseeds and use flaxseed oil sometimes.
I also bought the book and am still on the search for red clover. I think it's harder to find than nettles and red raspberry leaves.

On people telling you what not/to do:
I am sure most of them really just want to "help you" but I know it's so annoying if you know better or simply feel differently. I expect something like it in the future.
#17 of 414 Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

oceane:

it's a great balanced oil. the ingredients are (all organic) flax seed oil, sunflower seed oil, seame seed oil, evening primrose oil, unrefined DHA oil (algea derrived), coconut oil, rice germ and bran oil, soy lethicin (non-GMO derrived), rosemary extract (preservative), and oat germ and bran oil.

you can find info about it here.
#18 of 414 Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 PM

thanks!
#19 of 414 Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Hi all~
We are veggies I was preg. both times and veggie.my 2nd preg I was also nursing, so Blaaaah on the mis-informed who freak out because they think the only way to get nutrients is thru meat & dairy Hope that's not harsh!:
#20 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 AM

I don't think BLAAH is harsh
#21 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Hi.. Veggie here for 3 1/2 years. I eat *mostly* vegan, but I would be a lacto-veg. DH is vegan for 11 years, and meat free for about 15 & we eat vegan at home.

I didn't receive a lot of negative comments about being veg while pregnant. Some people asked if I was eating meat because I was pregnant, and I told him "No, I keep track of my diet extensively to make sure I am getting enough protien and calcium." and they never say anything else after that. My grandmother did say. "There is something in red meat that you need to help you build red blood cells." and I responded, "That is iron, and my iron is at perfect levels according to my blood work." Most everyone in my life knows I am extrememly well researched and I know what I am doing, so they don't really question it. The people that I got those comments from (excluding grandma who, to her credit, is from the south and grew up on a meat & potatoes diet and doesn't know anything else) were former co-workers who didn't know how extensive my commitment to vegetarianism was/is.

We will raise Sebastian mostly vegan too (still concerned about holidays and halloween, I don't want him to miss out of halloween because of being vegan), and we will let him choose when he is older- but we have a meat free home, and I won't buy, touch, or cook a dead animal.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#22 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

my MIL asked if i would be eating fish during the pregnancy (for the baby).

my father said to her "no, fish can be dangerous to pregnant women and babies. if she eats meat, it should be pasture raised beef."

my mother said to him "no, beef would be too heavy for her after so many years of being veg. she'd be sick the whole time and it's no help to anyone. she should eat chicken/turkey."

my MIL responded that poultry could lead to food poisoning that could harm me and the child.

so my husband said "i guess she'll just be vegetarian then."

and they all agreed that my staying vegetarian was 'probably the best option.'

glad they decided that for me. LOL
#23 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Hi

I have been veggie for 17 years. I have two children who are 4 and 8 months old. The 8 month old is vegan but the 4 year old eats fish. Dad used to eat meat but my daughter told him to go veggie so he has. Well kind of as he they both eat fish. But at least no meat
#24 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

technically, fish is meat. but, i'm not saying that as a 'judgement' thing. it's just observation.

welcome to the tribe. ;D
#25 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahfeminist View Post
Hi

I have been veggie for 17 years. I have two children who are 4 and 8 months old. The 8 month old is vegan but the 4 year old eats fish. Dad used to eat meat but my daughter told him to go veggie so he has. Well kind of as he they both eat fish. But at least no meat

fwi : fish=meat (they do have a brain in there!)
#26 of 414 Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi

heheh. yep fish if meat your husband and 4 year old are Pesco-vegetarians
or 'pescotarians'

#27 of 414 Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM

Yes- I realise that fish is meat and that they are pescotarians.

But at least they don't eat 'real meat' and the fish is just a few times a month. We eat mainly veggie food.

I am not sure what I would do if she asked to try meat though. I would certianly never buy it or cook it!
#28 of 414 Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Hey!

I've been lacto-vegetarian for 7 years and DH for 11 years. DD has been lacto-vegetarian her whole life.

I have been known to unwittingly eat a "hidden" egg or two.

And when I was pregnant, I heard the same comments. "I am sure your doctor is going to make you eat meat." Um no.

When I receive such silly comments, including those about how much harm I am inflicting on DD, I usually respond with, our doctor is aware that we are vegetarian and is working with us. That usually satisfies them. "oh, a doctor is working with them." (When in reality, I know more about healthy vegetarianism than most doctors...)
#29 of 414 Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunapier View Post
Add me to this tribe (ovo/lacto)... Here's something that I noticed, my breastmilk has a slightly greenish tinge to it.

I am also curious about whether or not may diet has any effect on DS growth, menstrual cycle (thankfully, hasn't returned, DS is 6 months) and other things.

DH is a meat eater and DS will be as well, unless he chooses otherwise.

he will be a meat eater only if he's fed meat!
#30 of 414 Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes- I realise that fish is meat and that they are pescotarians.

But at least they don't eat 'real meat' and the fish is just a few times a month. We eat mainly veggie food.

I am not sure what I would do if she asked to try meat though. I would certianly never buy it or cook it!

? "real meat"?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page