raw/vegan babe and vegetarian mama? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, so I am raising dd raw and vegan. She eats mostly fruits so she's more like fruitarian...yes, that is what I'd label her. I am vegetarian. dh trying to eat vegan but he will eat dairy and meat if we go out to eat but never at home. Dh and I are about 70% raw ourselves, and will probubly never be 100% raw. And someday dd will be 70% raw or whatever works for her body. OK! so there ya go, thats our lives.

I'm confused because I'm not vegan but dd is. and I don't ever want her to have milk EVER. I just am having a really hard time giving it up. and I don't want her to go through the same things kwim? Does anyone have experience raising a vegan kiddo with a vegetarian mama? I always here vegan mom vegetarian kiddo. Anyone out there like me?!

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM

danielle,

your husband isn't vegan if he eats meat and dairy. do you eat these things when you go out with him?

just trying to understand the family dynamics. the kid will be confused if she hears her dad is vegan,but then sees him order a steak.
#3 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefairie View Post
danielle,

your husband isn't vegan if he eats meat and dairy. do you eat these things when you go out with him?

just trying to understand the family dynamics. the kid will be confused if she hears her dad is vegan,but then sees him order a steak.
yes, you're right. He doesn't claim to be vegan. I guess what I'm trying to say is he doesn't eat meat or dairy at home. We rarely go out. So its very seldom. I don't eat meat when we go out. I do still eat cheese at home. its my last thing to give up. I want to stop eventually.

Thats what I"m wondering. If she'll be confused as to why I"m eating dairy when she's not ect. If I just need to give it up now or if it will be ok until I wean myself off of it. And I can't make my husband stop eating meat when we go out so what do I say to her in those cases?

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!

#4 of 12 Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 PM

Why are you having a hard time giving up the dairy?

I was vegan for a couple of years but I'm back to being lacto-ovo veg.

When I went vegan I went off dairy cold turkey. I honestly think it's the only way to do it. It's not like dairy is an addiction. It's a choice every time you eat. One day I just stopped eating it.

I think Dr. Neal Barnard also recommends doing it it that way.

BTW it must be a challenge to be veg*n in Alaska?!

and
#5 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM

I swore I would never, ever, ever give up cheese. Oh glorious cheese.

Then I did an intense detox,cleanse and eliminated all animal products(including honey),sugar and gluten. Guess what? after a couple of months of not eating cheese, I don't miss it. I even had a small hunk of my fave kind once I allowed myself to and it was not enjoyable at all.

So, no more cheese...a lot had to do with learning all about the toxins and chemicals that make it into dairy, another has to do with the treatment of farm animals in mainstream america.

I want to raise my child to love and RESPECT all beings and creatures, so no animal products...

As for you eating the cheese and not allowing the child, that does not seem fair. How would you feel?

If you must eat it, then keep it from the babe as to not further the confusion.
#6 of 12 Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefairie View Post

So, no more cheese...a lot had to do with learning all about the toxins and chemicals that make it into dairy, another has to do with the treatment of farm animals in mainstream america.

I want to raise my child to love and RESPECT all beings and creatures, so no animal products...

As for you eating the cheese and not allowing the child, that does not seem fair. How would you feel?

If you must eat it, then keep it from the babe as to not further the confusion.
Well said!

I used eat a lot of diary products until I researched what was in it and how abused the animals are, so now it literally disgusts me. Not to mention all the health problems it causes.

My DH still drinks milk so I buy organic raw milk. My almost 4 year old gets some rarely but she doesn't really want it. She would rather have almond milk or whatever nut milk I make.

Also like treefaerie said, you cannot eat these things and tell your dd she cannot!

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 AM

I don't think it's possible to eat non-vegan items in front of your child and not let her do the same.
#8 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 AM

We're sort of in the same boat. I'm vegetarian, and the only animal product I eat is locally raised non-fertile eggs. DH is vegetarian and eats eggs and dairy. Up until about 6 month ago the kids and I were vegan. They now eat eggs. We just told them some people are vegan and some are not. Daddy eats cow cheese, we eat vegan cheese. (YOU should try veganrella!)

I don't know if I could eat dairy and not let them do it. From their standpoint it would be hard to understand and from mine it would be hard to explain why veganism is good for them, but not me. KWIM? If you are having so much trouble giving a food up, it could be because your body needs something in that food. If your body is craving it, your kids bodies may be too. I'd look at your diet too and make sure your desire for dairy isn't because you are lacking some nutrient in your otherwise veg diet. Once you are sure of that, switch to some vegan dairies and vegan gelato! It's awesome!

Good luck!

Mom to three and owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happy, healthy and handmade.
#9 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm going to chim in from a different perspective. I say this with a lot of respect, mama. I know that you want to do what's best for your daughter, and I can certainly understand not wanting her to go through what you're going through with dairy. But, I think there's a lot of difference between vegan and raw.

I'm a little worried about a child that's not yet one year old eating exclusively raw foods. If it's very carefully done, maybe, but it seems like there may be a lot of risk there. Cooking makes a lot of foods more easily digestible. A raw diet tends to have a very large amount of fiber, which while it's great for adults, is not so great for little ones who need lots of fat and calories to grow and for maximum brain and nerve development. Excess fiber can fill up a small tummy before they've gotten enough fat and protein for growth. Plus, fiber can absorb some of the fats, thereby preventing them from being absorbed by the body. Little ones really do need lots of fats for brain growth and myelinization, which is not nearly complete in a child her age. I hope I'm worried for nothing, but this really makes me concerned.
#10 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post

I'm a little worried about a child that's not yet one year old eating exclusively raw foods. If it's very carefully done, maybe, but it seems like there may be a lot of risk there. Cooking makes a lot of foods more easily digestible. A raw diet tends to have a very large amount of fiber, which while it's great for adults, is not so great for little ones who need lots of fat and calories to grow and for maximum brain and nerve development. Excess fiber can fill up a small tummy before they've gotten enough fat and protein for growth. Plus, fiber can absorb some of the fats, thereby preventing them from being absorbed by the body. Little ones really do need lots of fats for brain growth and myelinization, which is not nearly complete in a child her age. I hope I'm worried for nothing, but this really makes me concerned.
Good point!

and
#11 of 12 Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
if she's still getting a lot of breastmilk, though, it doesn't matter so much that her other foods are raw. if not, push the avocados and drown everything in flax oil!!

i'm veggie. ds and his dad are vegan. we don't have anything non-vegan in the house, except for the occasional box of annie's mac+cheese, so it's not a big issue. i've always told him that my food is "yucky" and that i eat it because it's a habit from when i was little and didn't know where my food came from and that i'm weak now and still make mistakes. i don't think it's hypocritical for me to have one diet and him another, though it *would* be if i was telling him i was okay with my diet. i'm not. it leaves me physically and spiritually disconnected and i tell him that too.

we've also pretty much always told him the *real* reasons eating dairy is so bad (and it ain't just the cholesterol). he knows about calves being stolen from their mamas so they can't nurse and they're sad because they miss them and he knows about the fate of the "daddy" cows. he also knows about debeaking and why "cage free" is usually a load of @#$%. sometimes at the grocery store we go visit the lobsters to send them some love.

it might seem harsh to some people, but we've been telling him that kind of stuff (using age appropriate language) since i can't even remember and i wouldn't have it any other way. i think it's appalling to raise a kid eating bologna, steak, and chicken wings without giving them the information to make their own compassionate choice. yeah, learning about the meat industry at age 3 is pretty horrific but, for me, finding out at age 10 or 11 *after* i'd been eating it all those years was way more so.

there have been a few rare times he's seemed intrigued by the cheese i'm eating but usually he's like "oh, you're eating your GROSS mac+cheese today". i do try harder to be vegan because i want to be a good example for him but i think it's okay to let him see that i'm human and fallible too.

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
#12 of 12 Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
I don't think it's possible to eat non-vegan items in front of your child and not let her do the same.
sometimes I wonder about this too.... but I drink coffee and beer and do not let my kid have that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page