How to get toddler to nap w/out nursing, and 7 months pregnant - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How to get toddler to nap w/out nursing, and 7 months pregnant

So, my 20 month old still falls asleep nursing (both at night and for naps). He's still a spotty sleeper, but since night weaning a few months ago he's been able to sleep a few 10 be stretches on his own. Needless to say, getting him to sleep has been my priority for about a year and a half! Any suggestions on getting him to nap without nursing? I don't know how I can continue this ritual with an infant in the house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I'm sorry I have no ideas for you, but I hope someone else does because I need them too!

I will say that when DD stopped nursing for naps (age 3) I tucked her into bed with a teddy bear & a big pile of books, turned on her sleepy music and left the room. She didn't always sleep, but usually she did just read read quietly for a bit then conk out. If she was still awake after an hour of quiet I let her get up. It worked for us til age 6 when she started first grade.

Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
= DD
(1/2004) & DS
(6/2013) & One on the way
(4/2016)

#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
My oldest DD was 2.5yo when DD2 was born so a little bit older than your LO but still... I actually found it was pretty easy to feed her to sleep while DD2 was a newborn. I'd just lay her beside me, put DD1 on the other side and feed her to sleep. Once DD2 wasn't sleeping all the time it got trickier. We still all lay down together and I would feed DD2 and pat and sing to DD1. It took a bit longer and some days were harder than others but it was manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I cant answer because my 2 older children self weaned and my 2yo is still nursing.(Actually, she went to sleep last night without nursing, although almost of the time she does nurse). I continued to nurse ds1 whilst pregnant with ds2. We tandem nursed once ds was born, and i was glad i could still nurse him (then 3), although he wasnt nursing often by then.

Is it really necessary to eliminate the nursing to sleep? 20mths is so young. He is still just a baby. (or is it a girl..) Could you just give up that expectation and go with the flow? You would be surprised at how much easier will life become. You will manage with the baby, it will work out. Being able to nurse an older child makes managing 2 kids so much easier. Its always hard with a newborn and toddler, no matter what you do. Weaning makes it harder, not easier, imo.
#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Hugs mama, I know it's frustrating. Unfortunately if you have been putting him to sleep,this way it's kinda hard to change up his routine and he may and probably won't quite know how to fall asleep on his own without the milk. Hugs. I'm telling myself I will not so this when this baby arrives as it does become a chore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page