Rolling Over and Mobility -- Need Help Please - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 11-month-old has in the past few weeks, started moving a LOT in her sleep. At first I thought it was a general discomfort due to teething, or maybe tummy issues, since she's always been a very still sleeper, and she'll cry out some when she's rolling or moving.

But now I'm wondering if it's not just that she's moving more -- and she gets mad when she rolls her on stomach (she's always slept on her back or side happily).

The problems are:

She rolls on her tummy and automatically gets up on her hands and knees, and this wakes her up. Sometimes she'll push up into a seated position, then she wakes up.

If I catch her before she does this, and pick her up and lay her back on her back or side, she'll sometimes settle and not wake completely. But I do and I'm getting cranky and frustrated.

She moves so much it wakes me up everytime, and I'm now being awakened on average about every 45 minutes or so -- I'm exhausted.

We have a king bed and a SnugTuck on my side. She always sleeps right next to me, but if I try to scoot away at all to stretch out, then when she moves, she wakes me (and sometimes herself and sometimes DH) up.

I don't feel comfortable putting her in the playpen to sleep next to the bed. I don't feel comfortable moving the crib in our room next to the bed, since we're recently gotten her to start napping in the nursery and were hoping to eventually have her go to sleep at night in the crib, so DH and I could spend some time together in our room at night, then bring her into our bed either when we go to sleep or when she wakes up at night for nursing. By moving the crib into our room, we're not solving the moving during sleep wakes her up thing either, because the one time she napped in the crib (she naps in her papasan swing still a lot in the nursery) she woke herself up as soon as she rolled over.

I think the problem is that she doesn't know how to sleep on her stomach? I have tried to turn her head and pat her back so she'll stay asleep when she rolls on her belly but she always tries to push up, smacks my hand away, and it tends to wake her then the's crying.

What can I do? Last night I tried putting a travel pillow up next to her, with me right up next to her other side, but she still pushed and rolled and moved a lot. I'm a zombie I'm so tired.

Anyway to help her sleep better and or deal with sleeping on her stomach so we're getting better/more sleep?

Thanks in advance.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 04:26 PM

They do this when they're working on developmental milestones--they want to practice their new skills even in the middle of the night.

They way we handled it was to play dead--we didn't move a muscle. After 15 minutes or so, she would resettle herself. If she's getting near the edge of the bed, teach her how to get off (they pick that up really fast). And babyproof the room so that you don't worry when she's moving around.
#3 of 11 Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
They do this when they're working on developmental milestones--they want to practice their new skills even in the middle of the night.

They way we handled it was to play dead--we didn't move a muscle. After 15 minutes or so, she would resettle herself. If she's getting near the edge of the bed, teach her how to get off (they pick that up really fast). And babyproof the room so that you don't worry when she's moving around.
Odd -- she's been crawling for a few months now. I wonder why she recently started "practicing" in the middle of the night? I don't know why but I feel it's more tied to teething issues right now. But I could be wrong.

The playing dead thing sounds great, but despite our having a SnugTuck pillow, the bed is still too high off the ground for her to climb down, and she'd fall a long way if she got over the ST.

Putting the boxsprings on the floor wouldn't help -- it would still be well over two feet tall.

But last night I tried the playing dead thing and she got pissed and was crying -- but it was her teeth causing her pain, because I popped some Hylands in her mouth and she settled back and started nursing and fell asleep. Other time, I tried to just pat her and let her settle herself instead of me picking her up and putting her on her back. It worked part of the time, so we did get a little more sleep. Not much, but every little bit helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, and other suggestions are welcome too!

#4 of 11 Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Not sure what else to suggest--if you want more sleep and help her learn to resettle herself, I guess the only option would be to put the mattress directly on the floor. That's what we've done, and it's been wonderful.
#5 of 11 Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Not sure what else to suggest--if you want more sleep and help her learn to resettle herself, I guess the only option would be to put the mattress directly on the floor. That's what we've done, and it's been wonderful.

Thanks. We're trying very hard to avoid that, as it's a new mattress/boxspring set and DH has a very bad back. Plus my dresser is old and the drawers lack the metal piece that keeps them from falling out, so we haven't been able to find a lock that works to keep her from pulling them out, thus our room isn't childproofed.

The bottom line is finding a way to get more sleep and I really am hoping she'll just outgrow this, or it's just movement caused by teething discomfort, or I can teach her how to sleep on her tummy.

But I appreciate the suggestions.

#6 of 11 Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 AM

I am having the exact same problem as nighten and I'm going insane.

Gavin (almost 10 months) wakes every 45 minutes when sleeping, whether napping or at night.

He abruptly pops up into a sit and then starts to cry, waking up.

Or, he gets up on all fours and starts to crawl, knocking into things, waking his brother, falling off whatever he's sleeping on, knocking into me, etc.

He flops - he's obviously still asleep when he first sits and will flop right over, only to sit again. He's knocked his head into mine doing this.

If I do nothing (let him settle himself), there's about a 1/4 chance that he will go back to sleep after flopping around for a bit. And about a 3/4 chance that he will wake up fully.

If I lay him back down, there's about a 3/4 chance that he'll go to sleep (for another 15-75 minutes) and a 1/4 chance that I'm just screwed and don't get to sleep for another hour because he has to nurse back to sleep (while flopping usually) and then I have to try and sneak my boob out without him waking.

This is pretty recent and seems to be tied to him learning to pull to a stand and wanting to start walking.

I would kill for 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep right now.
#7 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 AM

God do I feel for you ladies. But I have to tell you, there is some sort of relief when I read that others are right there with me.

Since my last post, I did get 5 hour of uninterrupted sleep. Woo Hoo! I think he was just as exhasuted. Nap times are still a battle, but we're working on it. Do you think this is just something we are continuingly going to have? Gosh I hope not, I hope at a certain point the child wants to sleep, because I love it and miss it so!

Boingo82- Thanks for the link; it does help

Let's all think sweet sleep inducing thoughts for one anothers dc ey?
#8 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 05:08 AM

I was dangling tenuously at the end of my rope today, but Gavin slept for fully 90 minutes straight which allowed me to pick up the living room and vacuum about 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs out of the carpet..and my sanity returned.
I did get a few hours of consecutive sleep the other night and that helps too.

It does help to know that I'm not the only one in this boat. And it makes me more certain that babies outgrow this.
#9 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
She rolls on her tummy and automatically gets up on her hands and knees, and this wakes her up. Sometimes she'll push up into a seated position, then she wakes up.
My 11 month old DD does this too. It drives me insane. I don't have any advice though. I think that it is related to the milestone thing...being right on the verge of walking independently.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#10 of 11 Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update: it seems she's not doing it as much the last few nights. I've been really trying to make sure she's absolutely as mobile as she needs/wants to be during the day, since the only thing I can think of (other than the teething pain making her restless) is that her little body is needing to practice moving more???

So instead of slinging her some while I do housework, I've been letting her crawl all over around me (makes for interesting laundry folding haha) instead nonstop.

No clue if that's what's helped or what, but am gonna keep trying it.

#11 of 11 Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 PM

DS does this too, i will wake up to him sitting up in bed, crying with his eyes closed. (and not a full out cry, like a whine really) the first 2 times i thought it was kind of funny.........now, not so much! he also will get into a crawling position and rock back and forth. sometimes if i pat out "Mary had a little lamb" he will just fall asleep, but sometimes not and its hard to get him back to nursing when he is sleep crawling. so, anyways, i have no advice for you all just wanted to join your club!

ETA: it prob. doesn't have to be 'Mary had a little lamb" that is just all i can think of at 3 am :-)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page