Not allowed to work ahead? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS just started school two weeks ago. So far he is liking it - especially assignments. But he has expressed a few things he doesnt like.

One is they have to just listen to talk talk talk all the time and its boooring he says.

The other is that he is not allowed to work ahead in their workbook.
WTF? What is that about? He is motivated, he thinks its exciting, and he isn't allowed to work at home?

Should I simply get him other books outside of school that he can work through at his own rate or?
I assume the rule is so some kids wont feel left behind - or so overambitious parents wont force their kids to work through stuff fast to impress surroundings? Well I dont know to be honest. I sure dont understand..

I guess I should bring it up with the teacher, but am nervous to make the impression that I am one of the beforementioned overambitious parents.. I just really feel that if he is motivated to learn he should be allowed to..

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 10:32 AM

They probably made the rule so eager kids who weren't ready to understand everything in the workbook wouldn't simply fill the entire thing in incorrectly. If the book starts with addition problems, then moves on to subtraction, a child who can not read and hasn't be instructed in subtraction would fill in that section as though it was more addition.

I would mention it to the teacher, and get him some kind of workbook (not the exact same one though) to use at home.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#3 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This was a rule in my dd's class last year, too. I just went out and bought her a different workbook.

#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Have you had your child ask the teacher why that rule exists?
The answer might go some way to let you know what to expect if you decide to bring up some of your concerns with the teacher, before making an appearance yourself.

Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH
DS1 10/06
DD 08/10
DS2 10/12
with SB
and
#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
They probably made the rule so eager kids who weren't ready to understand everything in the workbook wouldn't simply fill the entire thing in incorrectly. .
Though my childhood experience was even if you filled the whole thing out correctly that didn't make them any happier.
#6 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Bummer on the rule. Maybe if a child, like yours, goes ahead and does all sorts of extra pages, then what will he do while the rest of the class catches up? Maybe that's why they have the rule.
#7 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may want to consider having something totally different for ds to do at home - like math manipulatives or a science kit. I'm not opposed to workbooks, but if this were my ds, I could hear "At home I can do WHOLE workbooks when I want to," coming out of his mouth. Or having him no longer do the workbook at school and wait to come home to work. But that's my ds.

I think you could have an easy conversation with the teacher along the lines of, "Johnny is really eager to do the work in your class, but he thinks that he can't work ahead." And see what the response is.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#8 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will let him ask her why he cant work ahead and see what that brings. Thanks for that suggestion. Other than that I dont really know how gifted he is - and dont have an option to have him tested. Not sure the result matters anyway. I know he is bright and has lots of pretty advanced thoughts in his little head but he is my oldest and I dont really have any idea what is normal to expect from kids his age.
I do tend to think he would benefit from a book with stuff he can do at home though. School is still just kindergarden so its pretty basic stuff they are working on.
Thanks for the advice. I may be hanging out here a bit more from here on depending on how things develop.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#9 of 10 Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
if this were my ds, I could hear "At home I can do WHOLE workbooks when I want to," coming out of his mouth.
LOL

My son gets tons of manipulatives at our Montessori school, and not too many worksheets, so we buy him WHOLE workbooks to work on.

We buy "Flash Forward" workbooks at Barnes and Noble. He seems to like those best. B&N has a whole section of math workbooks available, including Kumon workbooks.
#10 of 10 Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM

I suggest letting your DS pick out his own workbooks, if the school does not want your to move forward. My DD loves worksheets!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page