What to do with my toddler - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 09-14-2020, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I’ve been browsing a bit and I have some questions. I’m also a bit anxious to be here honestly, but I feel you guys may be able to help me get some perspective.

My son is turning three in a few days and while I feel like he’s too young for me to say he is gifted on not, I really need some advice on some things for him to do.

He loves sports, so we have him in a few classes (swimming, soccer, martial arts), but he missed the school cutoff date, so he has to wait another year.

Here are a few things he can already do (I’m looking for language development the most, particularly things to do with reading/writing)

-Speaks in full sentences, for example “It’s tonight in Taiwan, it’s time to go to bed now.” (We live in Taiwan) he also speaks Chinese in a similar manner.
-he uses an I pad program to write the full alphabet both upper and lower case and he has a writing book, so we’ve started writing some letters.
-already can pick out and knows all the colors
-can count up to 10 ( if you give him a book and ask him to count things in it he can easily do that In both languages)
-can put together 4 and 6 piece puzzles but usually becomes bored. (We don’t have bigger ones but he does the 16 piece ones I’ve found online on his iPad).
-can take his own baths and put on his own clothes (he picks the out himself) And potty trained himself which was nice.
- can list the names of about 15 dinosaurs, but when we go through the books he easily gets bored after he has picked his favorites (which is ankylosaurs btw 🤣[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink1.gif[/IMG]
-he stacks blocks and dice as high as they can go and then is bored with that.
- there is hardly a child’s song I can think of that he doesn’t know by heart (ABCs, old MacDonald, Itsy Bitsy Spider, BINGO, Twinkle Twinkle and all of that).
-he remembers everything. He remembers being younger and talks about it. He remembers where we used to live and when we go near that area he knows it (we live over an hour away from there so we rarely visit). He knows the names of places near us and if we are driving and turn a certain way he tells us where we are going today “you turn left, we are going to Hsinchu!”

Anyway, I’m just trying to give you all an idea of his level so you may be able to recommend some activities for him. He gets bored easily, and I cannot hold his attention for more that 20 minutes at a time. He is GLUED to me. I live with my husbands family and he wants nobody but me. He likes hands on activities. I would like to get him started with reading, but I don’t know where to go for that kind of support. My husband and I are both just physically and mentally exhausted the both of us and he is our only child. Like I said, I have no idea what is it is not gifted, but I would like to set him on a correct path either way. He doesn’t get along with the kids his age as he is usually gabbering away and they have no idea what he’s saying. He tends to gravitate towards 5 and 6 year olds.

All of this has been going on for some time (from 2.5-3) and I’m at a loss as to where to turn next as I’ve spent a lot of money buying him toys I thought he would be using for some time but he’s gone through them all.

He gets bored so easily. We enrolled him in a class with kids his age and he told us it was boring and he didn’t want to go back.

Please help! 🤣 I feel like a terrible mom because I know I’m not really challenging him, but I don’t have much time to plan what to do as he is always by my side. Thank you

Last edited by Queenofhearts; 09-14-2020 at 10:06 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page