2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemiemom2
  • 1 Post By star*mora

#1 of 3 Old 06-28-2018, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Preemies as Teenagers

This is to provide encouragement and hope to all those mothers of new preemies. Yes, there might be issues as your child grows, but they can succeed. My mother was a preemie, with eye sight issues, but she graduated from high school, married, raised 4 children while working in manufacturing for several years. I have 2 children, now teenagers, that were premature. One 18 year old, who was born at 34.5 weeks. He did receieve OT and PT for motor delays and special education for ADHD. He did graduate with an advanced regents diploma master in science. He is going to college next year. My daughter, now 16 years old, was born at 31.5 weeks and spent 3 weeks in the NICU. She had some physical therapy as a child. She is now in high school track and cross country. She has been on high honor roll since 7 th grade and she has taken advanced placement course work. She will be taking college level courses next year through a program with a community college. Regardless of their disabilities, preemies do have their own individual strengths and resilience. They can and will succeed in life.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like the idea of an encouragement thread. My eldest will be 12 in april - born at 33.5 wks, and my 9 yr old was pre-term born at 36wks. I was so overwhelmed and angry at my body for so long. Both boys have NO lasting effects from being born early. They are rarely unwell (I do make herbs part of their regime as well as bodywork as that is my life's work)

I will never forget the NICU staff saying to expect that my eldest would likely be in hospital again during his first year. Well my former 33.5 weeker had pneumonia in 2013 which he bounced back from quickly and that's it other than the odd sniffle or two, no hospital visits. I first came to these boards almost 12yrs ago, frightened and in despair, and am so grateful that their start in life didn't dictate their future health and growth.

xo to parents of preemies xo
applejuice likes this.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98.
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2020, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
My mother was a preemie, with eye sight issues,
I was a preemie too, but I was born at home 34 weeks. I did not have vision problems. The hospital protocol for preemies in the 1940s and 1950s was to administer high concentrations of oxygen into the baby's bassinette in the nursery; this, I understand, did cause vision problems, even blindness which the doctors blamed on the prematurity. This is no longer standard operating procedure, and there is less blindness and less vision problems in the premature babies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138176/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250600/

There are other problems, though.

Remember that the Dionne Quintuplets were premature at 34 weeks and were born at home also. One did die of seizures, but the other four did live a normal life and were healthy. Two are alive today in their 80s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page