Equipment? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What 'stuff' did you find you used the most for your preemies?
We don't 'need' anything for Elora, since we have everything from the last two girls still... but my husband was looking at travel systems the other day & determined that she needs a pink stroller/carseat combo and who am I to tell him we don't need to shop when I was given the go ahead?? LOL
Anyway, I know that she may be smaller than the average newborn when she comes home, provided all goes well... so I need to make sure that whatever seat we get will work for her. Any suggestions?
And what about other stuff? Is there anything your babies just LOVE once they are home?

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 03:10 AM

First off on the carseat issue. the safest and best fitting carseat for preemies in the chicco keyfit. It start at 4 lbs. It has an infant insert which can be used up until 11 lbs and the harness height is lower than any other seat. It is by FAR the best carseat you can buy for a preemie. The second best seat for a preemie would be a britax companion. It has anti-rebound features and side impact protection. Both of these seats can be found in travel systems (albeit not pink ) As for gear. We used an angelcare baby monitor for the first month home. Our daughter had ALOT of a's and b's but didn't come home on any monitors so this gave us a great peace of mind. It would sound an alarm if there were not breathing movement for 20 seconds. Only twice did it go off, and only once was she purple. Other than that she hasn't needed much. She doesn't sleep in her crib. we do have tons of preemie clothes (if you're looking for some i'm looking to get rid of some) we also used TONS of blanket for swaddling her. She just will not sleep without being swaddled. Also a sling or baby carrier. My daughter cries ALOT moreso than my full term babies ever did. From what I hear this is pretty normal. She likes to be carried and I have 2 other kids so the sling and the bjorn are godsends!If you bottlefeed I suggest either dr. browns or ventaire bottles that help reduce gas since I found my preemie (and others) to be really gassy. Other than that, I can't think of much..
#3 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Definitely need an infant carseat, since the convertible ones aren't as safe for preemies. And if it doesn't come with one, you can get the extra head support thingies. I used a Graco Snugride and just bought the double head support that is made for that seat. I wish I'd had a stroller that takes the infant carseat, since we got to use the infant carseat for so much longer than regular full term babies get to use it, and DS fell asleep in the carseat easily, so it'd have been nice at times to just plop the carseat into the stroller and let him continue sleeping, rather than waking him up by taking him out of the seat (in which he may or may not go back to sleep once you get him out).

Other than that and preemie clothes, and smaller diapers, I don't think I needed anything that I wouldn't have wanted for a full term baby. DS came home at 4 lbs 12 oz. And yes, the sling is essential!!!!! Especially when you start going out and about (shopping and whatnot) - you can carry her upright in the sling and cover her head with the fabric, so people won't come up and touch her! You wouldn't believe how many people will try to touch your baby, even if it's the size of a brand new newborn! We started going out in public right at his due date, and he was 7 lbs. I was very glad to have the sling to keep him covered and keep those grubby hands off!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in February '15

#4 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=boscopup]Definitely need an infant carseat, since the convertible ones aren't as safe for preemies. And if it doesn't come with one, you can get the extra head support thingies. I used a Graco Snugride and just bought the double head support that is made for that seat.
QUOTE]

A note on the infant headrests you can buy. If they do not COME with the carseat than they should not be used. No afternarket products that do not come with the carseats are approved to be used with a carseatr. It voids the carseats warranty and since it was not tested with the carseat your baby than becomes the crash test dumnmy. I didn't know this with my first son and have since learned it. I know it's not common knowledge so I thought I'd just let you know. If you want I can point you to a carseat forum with techs. Also it IS safe to used rolled up receiving blankets on the sides of baby and around the head since they do not interfere with the carseat harness. Oh ands this is not meant to offend just inform.
#5 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a sling, baby bjorn, & mai tai still from the other kids... plus one of those framed back pack things that DH wears when they're bigger.
I suppose I should think about a double stroller since Mia isn't even 2 yet and still likes to ride... and is way too heavy for me LOL I liked letting them sleep if we went somewhere and they had passed out in the carseats, so I'll have to find one that works with the carseat.

I'll check out those carseats- thanks! We still have Lili's and Mia's infant seats, but I want something nice and new for Elora to come home in. We already have all the other stuff- bouncers, swings, cribs, etc... But I tend to cosleep til they're sleeping through the night. I have a basinette for in our room, too. After this many kids you tend to have lots of 'stuff' left over.

I've been buying some preemie diapers when I see them- sooo cute! Will they let me put her in cloth at the hospital when she's a bit bigger?

Jayme-
#6 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 06:04 PM

The NICU we were in didn't allow the cloth diapers. The very first thing I did when I brought them home was change them into a cloth diaper immediately. The NICU weighed every diaper so I can see how it was easier for them to use the sposies.

I'd get some new cute little preemie outfits. I've got 3 little girls too and it's always fun getting some new things no matter how many kids of the same gender you have. I'd also get plenty of hats since she'll probably be pretty small and need them to keep her body heat up. Outfits that have lots of snaps up the front will be good for monitors. Usually the last week or two in the hospital the baby is in an open crib and you'll need plenty of warm clothing for her to wear and she'll still be on monitors so you'll want stuff with lots of snaps.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#7 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 06:08 PM

As others have mentioned, the infant head insert for the carseat was key for us.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#8 of 25 Old 07-29-2006, 07:36 PM

A tip on sposies if anyone is planning on using them - the newborn sizes are just a tiny bit bigger than the preemie sizes (in Huggies at least), but the newborn sizes hold in stuff way better than preemie because they have the extra guard around the leg openings, whereas the preemie size only has the one leg ruffle. Found that out the hard way

Single mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 03:03 AM

[QUOTE= Will they let me put her in cloth at the hospital when she's a bit bigger?[/QUOTE]

My experince is that they won't let you put her in cloth while in the nicu. i tried but they said it was against hospital policy. I snuck one in to try on her. it was a kissluvs size o. quite big but managed to fit. I left it on while i fed her then took it off before I left. Just long enough for her to poo in it. lol

Here's a picture of her in it in the nicu. She was just over 4 lbs.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...emma421005.jpg
#10 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 AM

I got the Graco SafeSeat because it goes to 30# and 30 inches and figured since I needed to get 2 I wanted them to last as long as possible. We weren't allowed to cd either. We used Pampers preemies (I have some from an open package if you want them) but found that around 4 pounds the smaller dipes (Itty Bitty Buns, KL0s, FunOrganic preemies) fit fine. I had problems with XS FBs in theat they were too big in the legs for a loooong time. I'd also second swaddling blankets or wraps. We love the Kiddopotomus ones and have a miracle blanke which works great, too, but is more $$.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#11 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 AM

The carseat that our NICU recommended all preemie parents get was the Graco Snugride, and they have 3 different pink choices!

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/pro...2&CategoryID=1

This stroller matches the third carseat link I supplied and is compatible with any Snugride carseat:
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/pro...R&CategoryID=2

As far as the headrest goes, we used the one that came with the seat, and also added one of these:
http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Snu...kidd-20307.htm

It worked well because the backing extended the whole way down to be fully behind baby, making it safe to use in the carseat. The reason they say not to add a second headrest on its own is because if it does not extend fully behind baby's body, it can fly away in the result of a crash and will do nothing to support baby's head. This one (and other's like it) however, is held down by the baby's entire body weight, so it's safe (according to the state police!).

Also, we found this bath to be the only one (we tried 4) that really worked for us, and was great even right after we brought her home and she only weighed 4lb, 4oz!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...439062?ie=UTF8
It's actually recommended for use by preemies, and is a piece of cake to take care of, plus it's not cumbersome like the plastic tubs! Sorry, we just always got REALLY excited when we found stuff that worked well for her.

The Boppy has been a lifesaver, especially while she's having reflux problems...she sleeps semi-reclined in it. Also, Carter's Child of Mine preemie line fit like a glove, when nothing else would. Everything else was like they made the head/arm/leg holes the same, but shrunk the body. We found the line at Walmart.

This website has really beautiful micro-preemie NICU gowns that are beautiful and functional. I'm not sure how far Elora is from being allowed to wear clothes, but these gowns have a flap that opens easily, so none of the tubes or wires will be disturbed. Just a thought if you wanted to get something extra special for her.
http://www.preemiesrus.com/catalog/i.../cPath/2_47_94

I know it's a lot of info...I hope it helps!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#12 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeesmama
Here's a picture of her in it in the nicu. She was just over 4 lbs.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...emma421005.jpg
I LOVE IT!
A friend of mine made her some teeny cloth, that I know will fit soon.
I also have a huge stash :X I just can't stop buying.

Here's a pic of her teeny diaper:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oraJuly23b.jpg

Here's my stash:
http://www.taterbean.com/NBStash.html

Jayme-
#13 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub
The carseat that our NICU recommended all preemie parents get was the Graco Snugride, and they have 3 different pink choices!

I know it's a lot of info...I hope it helps!
YAY! Thanks for all the info!

Jayme-
#14 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:

As far as the headrest goes, we used the one that came with the seat, and also added one of these:
http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Snu...kidd-20307.htm

It worked well because the backing extended the whole way down to be fully behind baby, making it safe to use in the carseat. The reason they say not to add a second headrest on its own is because if it does not extend fully behind baby's body, it can fly away in the result of a crash and will do nothing to support baby's head. This one (and other's like it) however, is held down by the baby's entire body weight, so it's safe (according to the state police!).

Also, we found this bath to be the only one (we tried 4) that really worked for us, and was great even right after we brought her home and she only weighed 4lb, 4oz!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...439062?ie=UTF8
It's actually recommended for use by preemies, and is a piece of cake to take care of, plus it's not cumbersome like the plastic tubs! Sorry, we just always got REALLY excited when we found stuff that worked well for her.

!
Please please please, contact a child protecrtive seat technician. They are TRIANED in carseats and the laws and rules on carseat usage. The state police or fire department are not a reliable source unless they can prove they are trained. Most are not yet the install seats and give out improper seat usage advice. The reason for not using a headrest (even the type that go fully behind the baby) is NOT because it will fly away in the crash and not support the babies head. Actually you don't NEED anything however we as parents use things to help make them more comfortable. Headrests and other such things which sit behind the baby can interfere with the harness system. Also these typically have some padding. even if you think it's just a think layer. this thin layer can compress in the event of an accident leaving enough gapo for your precious baby to slip out of the straps. Like I said previously. Using these products also voids the carseats warranty.

Here is a quote from a car seat saftey website "Q51: Can I use aftermarket products to help install carseats or position seatbelts?

In general, you should not use any products not recommended by the manufacturer of your carseat or vehicle. Despite the claims of some companies, these products are NOT regulated by any federal standard, and have not been tested or certified by carseat manufacturers. This is not to say these products do or do not work, but your choice to use them might compromise the safety of your carseat.

Q52: Can I use an infant head support? Is it OK to put a padded cushion under the child for comfort?

Generally, NO. Unless such items come with the carseat or are recommended by the manufacturer of the carseat as an accessory, do not use them. Aftermarket pads and cushions are not tested with the seat and any compressible material inside the harness may allow for more slack in the restraint. With a small infant, it is usually OK to put a rolled towel or receiving blanket along the sides of the head (outside the harness straps) to keep it upright. You may also put a rolled towel between a small infant and the crotch strap if there is a large gap, though you should never put towels or pads under a child in a carseat."

Our babies have been through so much, we should do eveything in our power to keep them safe.
#15 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeesmama
Please please please, contact a child protecrtive seat technician. They are TRIANED in carseats and the laws and rules on carseat usage. The state police or fire department are not a reliable source unless they can prove they are trained. Most are not yet the install seats and give out improper seat usage advice.
We went through the car seat safety certification department at our local state police department. Does that count? That headrest also threads the harness straps easily, so it doesn't interfere. And I totally agree that we have to keep our extra special babies super safe! That's why we did SO much research prior to getting anything for her...had to be doubly sure it was the absolute best!

According to our NICU, they really wanted them to have the double headrest, because they are so much stronger and generally weaker than the average newborn.

That really is a huge stash! Good heavens!! I wish we'd been able to get diapers for Sam, but it just wasn't possible! That was going to be my last two weeks of income, but since i stopped working three months sooner than we planned, that didn't happen! Hopefully we can get a few dipes for her. I really don't like having to use the sposies. The smell is making me sick to be honest. :

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#16 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 PM

pak! (maggie not hungry, imagine that!)

We use the Britax boulvard on the lowest setting.

Arms reach co sleeper

new native organic sling

the carters nb size worked real well, size 0 kissaluvs, xs sized fuzzibunz as well.

During premie sizes, Babies r us had a good selection for 2-5 lbs. Gerber makes some sleepers etc in that size and they run small. Which is good for the micro mamas. I remember buying them and thinking they looked big!

As for clothing- a lot of nicus have blankets etc volunteers make and when the baby uses them, they become the babie's and the parents wash them etc. I remember taking them home and just smelling them since they smelled like Maggie. Also you have to bring in clothing for the baby.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#17 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 PM

I totally forgot about the Gerber sleepers! Sam only wore hers once in the NICU because she was 17" when she was born, and at 17 1/2", she was too long for it It was totally adorable though. I compared it to her NB sleeper the other day...amazing!

#18 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That really is a huge stash! Good heavens!! I wish we'd been able to get diapers for Sam, but it just wasn't possible! That was going to be my last two weeks of income, but since i stopped working three months sooner than we planned, that didn't happen! Hopefully we can get a few dipes for her. I really don't like having to use the sposies. The smell is making me sick to be honest. :
I started shopping ages ago, when we were TTC... then I had a blighted ovum... and just kept shopping until I got pregnant with Elora LOL

Lots of mine I got used, for really cheap too- I can't pass up a good deal!

Jayme-
#19 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
According to our NICU, they really wanted them to have the double headrest, because they are so much stronger and generally weaker than the average newborn.
Yeah, my NICU had paperwork that suggested the double headrest, and I bought the one made by Graco for Graco Snugride carseats, so it *is* the manufacturer recommended headrest. It didn't come with my carseat because that particular model just doesn't come with them, but the Snugride carseats that do come with them are the same carseat and it's the same headrest.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
in February '15
#20 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 PM

our nicu told us to take the infant head inserts out, they said they don't really do much. The hospital has an ot make foam inserts. They're big foam blocks kinda upsidedown L shaped. They've been working really well. D came home at 4lbs 9ozs with a teeny head and he doesn't flop at all with the foam inserts.

Speaking of preemie clothes, where can I get hats that fit? We have few preemie hats but they are all rather loose :

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#21 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial
Speaking of preemie clothes, where can I get hats that fit? We have few preemie hats but they are all rather loose :
Carters were the only hats that fit Sam, and her head was 7" at birth.

#22 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.preemie.com has hats that fit Elora at less than 2 lbs, so I'm sure they'll have them to fit your baby!

Jayme-
#23 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM

Sarah, where did you get Carters preemie stuff? We checked Target, nothing preemie and Babies R Us. BRU has preemie stuff but only 1 hat that wasn't part of an outfit : and it falls right off, even on the "big guy"

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#24 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I mostly used the hospital hats when I needed them (the ones that are really ugly but fit like a glove on most babies ). Since DS came home in July, and he actually got overheated easily, I didn't use hats until it got cooler, and by then he was newborn size anyway.

But my son is just weird. He would scream bloody murder if he was wearing even a thin sleeper at church. I had to change him into a onesie when he did that, and then he'd be fine! He just always over heated really really really easy. Got SO many comments during the winter that he needed to be bundled more, and I was like "NO... he will overheat if I bundle him more!" :

in February '15
#25 of 25 Old 07-31-2006, 10:37 PM

For clothes... Check consignment places. They often have a preemie section.

in February '15

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page