Will begin fully vaxing my kids, should I space out? need advice
So we decided, after years of researching and being "on the fence" for a long time, to vaccinate our children. Our youngest has caught a VPD and that was enough to kick our butt into action and decide we no longer want to wait.
Reasons why we delayed- familial history of autism, reaction to vaccines, and neurological conditions. We also have MTHFR in our family (the kids are heterozygous- which means they each have 1 copy). I knew I would vax someday but wanted to wait until they are school age and catch them up then.. but now just seems like the right time.
So, my kids are 15 months and 3 years old. Both completely unvaxed. Initially we decided we would just use the CDC catch up schedule and do combo shots to eliminate the number of pokes they get at each visit. Well now I am realizing that they'd be getting pricked a LOT and that makes me worried. 1) I don't want them to fear the doctor 2) I do worry that they'll be getting more exposure to adjuvants/preservatives that way.
After looking at the CDC catch up schedule I realize that my 3 year old will only need 1 dose of Hib, and a few of the shots she'll only need 2 doses of, and the others she'll need 3 doses of... so the 5-in-one would only work at the initial visit, and after that she'd need to get them as individual jabs.
So my question is this.... knowing your child may need 7 jabs in one visit, would you opt to do something more along the lines of the Dr Sears schedule? And do no more than 2 at a time each visit until they're caught up? How much time would you wait in between each visit?
Has anyone here gotten their kids completely caught up and not had any major reactions? I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about autism. My 14 month old is a bit behind with her speech already (per a speech pathologist from Early Intervention), and my 3 year old had speech therapy for about a year. I told myself I'd wait until age 2 for my youngest, but with my oldest potentially enrolling in preschool in the fall, and seeing how every time my youngest gets sick she gets severely sick (like scary lab work with not good CBC results sick... not just mild viruses or anything. A totally different child than my oldest, who has been sick fewer times in 3 years than my youngest has in 14 months!).
Edited to add this question-- Should we stick with the Family Medicine doctor that we have? We have a great relationship with her, and despite her being pro-vax she was always respectful of us. I just fear she wont know what the heck to do to get them caught up. I mentioned it to her on the phone the other day and she seemed overwhelmed. Also I am concerned that the nurses there won't be experienced with vaxing kids. I NEVER see children there. if I do, it is usually older kids. I have some health problems so sadly I see the doc frequently and have been there all times of day/week and never seen kids... Maybe this is a dumb concern but I fear the nurses there won't know to shake the vials before hand (or not shake them, depending on the particular vaccine being administered). The nurses I've encountered there are less than stellar. On a few occasions they havent been able to manually take my blood pressure while the machine was down. It doesnt give me much confidence in allowing them to take a needle to my babies! Do you think we should switch to a pediatrician? especially since we are getting caught up and this is more or less something a pediatrician would be well versed in?
Any advice?? Reassurance? Can you tell me your experience? Anything to ease my mind? I have seen the science and know that vaccines ARE safe but my mommy intuition puts doubts in my head.. though, I dont know if those doubts are just from the scare tactics from the anti-vax side... anyhoo... any advice is welcome! thx
Last edited by Summerlilac999; 03-26-2015 at 10:22 PM.