Will begin fully vaxing my kids, should I space out? need advice - Mothering Forums

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By Turquesa
  • 1 Post By Summerlilac999

#1 of 29 Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Will begin fully vaxing my kids, should I space out? need advice

So we decided, after years of researching and being "on the fence" for a long time, to vaccinate our children. Our youngest has caught a VPD and that was enough to kick our butt into action and decide we no longer want to wait.

Reasons why we delayed- familial history of autism, reaction to vaccines, and neurological conditions. We also have MTHFR in our family (the kids are heterozygous- which means they each have 1 copy). I knew I would vax someday but wanted to wait until they are school age and catch them up then.. but now just seems like the right time.

So, my kids are 15 months and 3 years old. Both completely unvaxed. Initially we decided we would just use the CDC catch up schedule and do combo shots to eliminate the number of pokes they get at each visit. Well now I am realizing that they'd be getting pricked a LOT and that makes me worried. 1) I don't want them to fear the doctor 2) I do worry that they'll be getting more exposure to adjuvants/preservatives that way.

After looking at the CDC catch up schedule I realize that my 3 year old will only need 1 dose of Hib, and a few of the shots she'll only need 2 doses of, and the others she'll need 3 doses of... so the 5-in-one would only work at the initial visit, and after that she'd need to get them as individual jabs.

So my question is this.... knowing your child may need 7 jabs in one visit, would you opt to do something more along the lines of the Dr Sears schedule? And do no more than 2 at a time each visit until they're caught up? How much time would you wait in between each visit?

Has anyone here gotten their kids completely caught up and not had any major reactions? I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about autism. My 14 month old is a bit behind with her speech already (per a speech pathologist from Early Intervention), and my 3 year old had speech therapy for about a year. I told myself I'd wait until age 2 for my youngest, but with my oldest potentially enrolling in preschool in the fall, and seeing how every time my youngest gets sick she gets severely sick (like scary lab work with not good CBC results sick... not just mild viruses or anything. A totally different child than my oldest, who has been sick fewer times in 3 years than my youngest has in 14 months!).

Edited to add this question-- Should we stick with the Family Medicine doctor that we have? We have a great relationship with her, and despite her being pro-vax she was always respectful of us. I just fear she wont know what the heck to do to get them caught up. I mentioned it to her on the phone the other day and she seemed overwhelmed. Also I am concerned that the nurses there won't be experienced with vaxing kids. I NEVER see children there. if I do, it is usually older kids. I have some health problems so sadly I see the doc frequently and have been there all times of day/week and never seen kids... Maybe this is a dumb concern but I fear the nurses there won't know to shake the vials before hand (or not shake them, depending on the particular vaccine being administered). The nurses I've encountered there are less than stellar. On a few occasions they havent been able to manually take my blood pressure while the machine was down. It doesnt give me much confidence in allowing them to take a needle to my babies! Do you think we should switch to a pediatrician? especially since we are getting caught up and this is more or less something a pediatrician would be well versed in?

Any advice?? Reassurance? Can you tell me your experience? Anything to ease my mind? I have seen the science and know that vaccines ARE safe but my mommy intuition puts doubts in my head.. though, I dont know if those doubts are just from the scare tactics from the anti-vax side... anyhoo... any advice is welcome! thx

Last edited by Summerlilac999; 03-26-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
I'm a bit short on time so I will not be able to address everything in your post, however, I also recently began to vaccinate after 6 years of not vaccinating. We are doing two shots per visit and I am trying to get at least two weeks between visits. so far my kids have had the first DTaPs, polios and my younger two have had Hib. the only reaction any of them have had is a small bruise or redness at the injection site and the baby had some hive like bumps come up after his DTaP. they get their second DTaPs on Tuesday so we will see how it goes.
#3 of 29 Old 03-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
I did separate visits for each vaccine initially so that I could pinpoint any reactions if that became an issue. But I soon started "bridging" vaccines on each other. So once I was confident that there was no DTaP reaction, I added on polio and moved from there.

I know what you mean, though. I feel bad for my poor first kid having to go through all of those catch-up poke-visits. My other two are better off now that I'm reasonably confident in my decisions and personalized schedule. Carry cash and celebrate with ice cream!

Finally, remember that many "anti-vaxxers" are going through what you are right now--doubt and apprehension. I feel it for each vaccine that we accept and each one that we turn down. It's very, very normal!
Yaliina likes this.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP old MDC. We miss you!

#4 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Which VPD did your youngest catch?
#5 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntiebobo View Post
Which VPD did your youngest catch?
Streptococcus pneumonia
#6 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
I'm a bit short on time so I will not be able to address everything in your post, however, I also recently began to vaccinate after 6 years of not vaccinating. We are doing two shots per visit and I am trying to get at least two weeks between visits. so far my kids have had the first DTaPs, polios and my younger two have had Hib. the only reaction any of them have had is a small bruise or redness at the injection site and the baby had some hive like bumps come up after his DTaP. they get their second DTaPs on Tuesday so we will see how it goes.
My husband's theory is that we should go ahead and due 3 shots at their first visit. This would cover 7 diseases. There'd be a 5-in-1 shot, and then 2 separate ones. He says "if a 2 month old can handle this, certainly our kids can" since they are older. I just stress about reactions. But then the more I research, true vax reactions are super rare.

I am on the fence if we should switch to a pediatrician or stick with our family MD
#7 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I did separate visits for each vaccine initially so that I could pinpoint any reactions if that became an issue. But I soon started "bridging" vaccines on each other. So once I was confident that there was no DTaP reaction, I added on polio and moved from there.

I know what you mean, though. I feel bad for my poor first kid having to go through all of those catch-up poke-visits. My other two are better off now that I'm reasonably confident in my decisions and personalized schedule. Carry cash and celebrate with ice cream!

Finally, remember that many "anti-vaxxers" are going through what you are right now--doubt and apprehension. I feel it for each vaccine that we accept and each one that we turn down. It's very, very normal!
Have your children had any reactions aside from fever or sore at the site of the shot?
#8 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd personally switch to a pediatrician. Working with kids is a whole specialty of its own and the pediatrician will be way more familiar with your options on getting caught up and the nurses at the ped office will be more experienced in giving babies and kids shots all day every day so they know how to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
#9 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaE323 View Post
I'd personally switch to a pediatrician. Working with kids is a whole specialty of its own and the pediatrician will be way more familiar with your options on getting caught up and the nurses at the ped office will be more experienced in giving babies and kids shots all day every day so they know how to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Very good point... I just need to find a good pediatrician now!
#10 of 29 Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlilac999 View Post
Have your children had any reactions aside from fever or sore at the site of the shot?
Nope. We've been blessed.

I personally really like the family practice model of medicine because a doctor who treats a whole family gets special insight into each family member. But it can definitely be hit-and-miss to find who works well with children, and what you want to do is totally a gut-call.

This section of MDC isn't as active as it used to be, but you may try posting here to see if anyone in your area can recommend a pediatrician or family doc: https://www.mothering.com/forum/76-moms-your-area/
Yaliina likes this.

#teamvaxchoice

#11 of 29 Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Streptococcus pneumonia
I'm sorry, this is OT, but how did your child's Strep pneumo present? Did he/she have meningitis?

Just out of curiosity. I haven't read any Strep pneumo experiences on these boards before.

As for your question, I agree that a good pediatrician can really help you work through all of this. I imagine it's pretty overwhelming.
#12 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
removed.

Last edited by bannerd; 04-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.
#13 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM

I have seen several people told that they could not post in the I'm not vaccinating forum even though they are being supportive. I think it's only fair if this forum is protected to the same extent.
#14 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakah View Post
Quote:
Streptococcus pneumonia
I'm sorry, this is OT, but how did your child's Strep pneumo present? Did he/she have meningitis?

Just out of curiosity. I haven't read any Strep pneumo experiences on these boards before.

As for your question, I agree that a good pediatrician can really help you work through all of this. I imagine it's pretty overwhelming.
I'm interested as well, that sounds scary!
#15 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Quote:

This type of bacterial infection is incredibly rare in breast fed babies of healthy mothers.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yjdpqQ4tgs

I am Rhome
#16 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0314 View Post
I have seen several people told that they could not post in the I'm not vaccinating forum even though they are being supportive. I think it's only fair if this forum is protected to the same extent.
Is this in reference to me?

Last edited by mamakah; 08-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
#17 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Streptococcus pneumonia

She was VERY sick. High fever, lethargic. Refused to eat. She had a stuffy nose and post-nasal drip. My local holistic mom's network was giving me grief for taking her to the ER (for days they kept telling me I was overreacting and that it was "probably teething" or to just "increase probiotics" because the first couple days she only had a fever and seemed grumpy) but I know my kids and I knew something was up. Thank God I got there when I did because her bloodwork was bad. She had such low platelets (or neutrophils? I honestly can't remember because the whole day was a blur of emotions) that they called the oncology team. They immediately ran extra tests to see if she was septic. They were almost certain that she was, but thankfully it came back negative!!!! They tested her mucus she kept coughing up, swabbed her nose, and did a chest x ray. That's how she was diagnosed with pneumonia and the mucus sample showed positive for the streptococcus pneumonia. Needless to say, a day at the hospital, IV antibiotics, fluids, and cuddles and we were relieved to go home. No cancer or sepsis, so I was counting my blessings. It was absolutely eye opening for me though. My oldest never caught anything worse than a 48 hour virus! And there was my poor baby (not quite a year old at the time) whom I thought I was protecting with breastmilk, probiotics, and cod liver oil (and vit c once she got sick).. Yet she still contracted something that could've been prevented. I hate that she had to endure all of this. I have never been so worried or had more regret and it happened so quickly too. She eats healthy (mostly organic, gluten/dairy/soy free)... I couldn't understand what I did wrong but that's when I realized that no matter what we take a risk, sometimes we think we're doing the right thing and yet our kids still get sick. It doesn't make us a bad mom but it was that moment in the hospital where I said if there was something that I could do to potentially prevent something like this from ever happening again, then I am going to do it! I am SO lucky and blessed that it was just streptococcus pneumonia and not anything worse.

Sorry for the long rambling reply. Using Siri
#18 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerd View Post
removed.
Huh? What was removed?
#19 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
Quote:

This type of bacterial infection is incredibly rare in breast fed babies of healthy mothers.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yjdpqQ4tgs

The YouTube video won't load on my phone. Who is in the video? A doctor? Are they citing accurate information? If this type of infection was rare in breastfed mothers then I doubt so many babies would've contracted it and/or died from it. Breastmilk isn't a cure-all unfortunately. All of the credible research I have done on S. Pneumonia shows how deadly & harmful it was prior to vaccination. While no vax is perfect, if I can give my child antibodies to help fight this off and avoid a hospital stay and/or potential sepsis (or worse- potential death! It is that serious and moves quickly), then hands-down I will opt for the vax. I breastfed my daughter. Seeing her lifeless and lethargic and wondering if she was going to make it was the scariest thing of my life!
#20 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The YouTube video won't load on my phone. Who is in the video? A doctor? Are they citing accurate information? If this type of infection was rare in breastfed mothers then I doubt so many babies would've contracted it and/or died from it. Breastmilk isn't a cure-all unfortunately. All of the credible research I have done on S. Pneumonia shows how deadly & harmful it was prior to vaccination. While no vax is perfect, if I can give my child antibodies to help fight this off and avoid a hospital stay and/or potential sepsis (or worse- potential death! It is that serious and moves quickly), then hands-down I will opt for the vax. I breastfed my daughter. Seeing her lifeless and lethargic and wondering if she was going to make it was the scariest thing of my life!
It provides the latest research on breast milk, stem cells, maternal antibodies and epigenetics. Very few doctors would have a clue about this information. However do what you think is best I am not posting here to judge your choices, only to provide some interesting, cutting edge information that might be of benefit to readers.

I am Rhome

Last edited by Mirzam; 04-02-2015 at 07:07 PM.
#21 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
It provides the latest research on breast milk, stem cells, maternal antibodies and epigenetics. Very few doctors would have a clue about this information. However do what you think is best.
Why would you assume very few doctors have this research? Where is the research in the video coming from? If it is from medical journals, majority of those in the medical profession reference journals for up-to-date info. Our Family Medicine Physician knows a ton about epigenetics, breast milk/breastfeeding, and maternal antibodies. Most doctors I've encountered do. I still don't think it is fair to make a general statement that majority of breastfed infants won't contract S. Pneumonia.. Especially when prior to the vaccine, more babies were dying from it than after widespread vaccination. My daughter was breastfed at the time she contracted it. I just did a quick search on Pubmed and Google scholar and don't see anything that supports your statement.
mamabear0314 likes this.
#22 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Is this in reference to me? I post in the non-vax forum, but I feel like I also belong here since I frequently consider selectively vaxxing.
Just in general, Survival Dad posted something in INV the other day that was like "Yeah, pro choice, parental rights" and he was asked not to post in there. I just feel like if pro choice pro vaxers can't even post in there in support then this forum should have the same courtesy. KWIM? I think if you are leaning toward vaxing and don't post things that clearly belong in INV it should be ok but I don't speak for everyone. I Just know that I appreciate having a place that I can ask about vaccines and don't have to worry about people trying to debate me or convince me not to do it. (Not that *you* have, just in general)

Single, student mama 
 to 3 boys 
 and loving every minute of it.

Any time scientists disagree, it's because we have insufficient data. Then we can agree on what kind of data to get; we get the data; and the data solves the problem. Either I'm right, or you're right, or we're both wrong. And we move on. That kind of conflict resolution does not exist in politics or religion.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
#23 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Why would you assume very few doctors have this research? Where is the research in the video coming from? If it is from medical journals, majority of those in the medical profession reference journals for up-to-date info. Our Family Medicine Physician knows a ton about epigenetics, breast milk/breastfeeding, and maternal antibodies. Most doctors I've encountered do. I still don't think it is fair to make a general statement that majority of breastfed infants won't contract S. Pneumonia.. Especially when prior to the vaccine, more babies were dying from it than after widespread vaccination. My daughter was breastfed at the time she contracted it. I just did a quick search on Pubmed and Google scholar and don't see anything that supports your statement.
Everything is PubMed referenced. If your doctors know about these studies and can discuss them with you, that's great, but unless you watch the video you won't know which studies are quoted, and it isn't specifically on S.Pneumonia per se, but more general information on the importance of a healthy microbiome, the protective role of breast feeding, stem cells in breast milk and how breast milk from healthy mothers can have beneficial epigenetic effects. Considering your posts have referenced epigenetics, you might find it of interest.

I am not going to engage in this conversation further. I am not supposed to be on this board, but thought this information would be of interest to S/D vaxxers.

I am Rhome
#24 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Everything is PubMed referenced. If your doctors know about these studies and can discuss them with you, that's great, but unless you watch the video you won't know which studies are quoted, and it isn't specifically on S.Pneumonia per se, but more general information on the importance of a healthy microbiome, the protective role of breast feeding, stem cells in breast milk and how breast milk from healthy mothers can have beneficial epigenetic effects. Considering your posts have referenced epigenetics, you might find it of interest.

I am not going to engage in this conversation further. I am not supposed to be on this board, but thought this information would be of interest to S/D vaxxers.

I always love learning more about epigenetics and when I have a moment to get on the computer I will watch the video to see which credible sources it references. However, I just don't see the benefit in making generalized (false) statements. Breastmilk is amazing! It offers so many great benefits. That being said-- many, many, many healthy moms breastfeed and their children still contract diseases. The bacterium in S. Pneumonia are potent. Many parents don't realize something is wrong until it is too late. If breastmilk from healthy mothers provided adequate protection/prevention then vaccination wouldn't be necessary, would provide positive titers, and would have prevented the thousands of deaths that, tragically, S. pneumonia caused. If you aren't supposed to be in this forum, I am not sure why you are here making generalized statements that are misleading and not true. When you make those kinds of statements it details the thread (I wasn't asking anything about breastmilk's benefits) and doesn't add anything meaningful. You could make your own thread about the video with the accompanying misleading statements if you feel necessary.
Galatea likes this.
#25 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
She was VERY sick. High fever, lethargic. Refused to eat. She had a stuffy nose and post-nasal drip. My local holistic mom's network was giving me grief for taking her to the ER (for days they kept telling me I was overreacting and that it was "probably teething" or to just "increase probiotics" because the first couple days she only had a fever and seemed grumpy) but I know my kids and I knew something was up. Thank God I got there when I did because her bloodwork was bad. She had such low platelets (or neutrophils? I honestly can't remember because the whole day was a blur of emotions) that they called the oncology team. They immediately ran extra tests to see if she was septic. They were almost certain that she was, but thankfully it came back negative!!!! They tested her mucus she kept coughing up, swabbed her nose, and did a chest x ray. That's how she was diagnosed with pneumonia and the mucus sample showed positive for the streptococcus pneumonia. Needless to say, a day at the hospital, IV antibiotics, fluids, and cuddles and we were relieved to go home. No cancer or sepsis, so I was counting my blessings. It was absolutely eye opening for me though. My oldest never caught anything worse than a 48 hour virus! And there was my poor baby (not quite a year old at the time) whom I thought I was protecting with breastmilk, probiotics, and cod liver oil (and vit c once she got sick).. Yet she still contracted something that could've been prevented. I hate that she had to endure all of this. I have never been so worried or had more regret and it happened so quickly too. She eats healthy (mostly organic, gluten/dairy/soy free)... I couldn't understand what I did wrong but that's when I realized that no matter what we take a risk, sometimes we think we're doing the right thing and yet our kids still get sick. It doesn't make us a bad mom but it was that moment in the hospital where I said if there was something that I could do to potentially prevent something like this from ever happening again, then I am going to do it! I am SO lucky and blessed that it was just streptococcus pneumonia and not anything worse.

How terrifying! I'm so sorry you went through that. Thank you for sharing.
#26 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

How terrifying! I'm so sorry you went through that. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, I am glad it's in the past now. It was an extremely eye-opening experience. I pray no other family has to endure that.
#27 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 PM

I'm really sorry that you had to go through that.

Out of ignorant curiosity, do you still need to get Prevnar, or is S.P. one of those natural-immunity diseases?

#teamvaxchoice

#28 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
I'm really sorry that you had to go through that.

Out of ignorant curiosity, do you still need to get Prevnar, or is S.P. one of those natural-immunity diseases?
Thank you, it was so scary! As of right now I am planning on vaxing for it, but am going to talk to our doc about the idea of ordering titers beforehand just to see if it is necessary.
Turquesa likes this.

Last edited by Summerlilac999; 04-03-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add something I wanted to say
#29 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Mirzam, I am issuing you a warning for your posts here. You know the rules very well and have intentionally violated our support forum guidelines. If you do so again you will be suspended from all Vaccinations forums.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page