Budding designer? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea if this is in the right place. I don't know where to post things anymore on here.

Nine-year old DD has expressed some serious interest in learning to design and sew clothes. She has asked for a dress form and a sewing machine.

I can sew on a button. That's about it. I have no idea how to support her, with resources or anything like that. Does anyone have a recommendation of onloine resources or anything like that? The way I see it she needs some basic sewing, some basic drawing and some basic design info. I can't see spending tons of cash on something she may not want to stick with, but i would like her to be able to experiment.

TIA

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are there some resources available to you? Here are a few places to start:

- Family or friends who sew - crafty people are often delighted to share their passion
- A community recreation/crafts program for sewing lessons and art lessons - a good designer is also an artist, with an appreciation for form and colour, so drawing and painting lessons are helpful
-Local sewing or quilting group - there may be someone who is happy to give lessons on machine and hand sewing
-Sewing machine and fabric shops often offer classes for various age groups
-Check the hobby section of the toy department for "how to sew" and "how to quilt" packages - they come with instructions, fabric and supplies

- Take your daughter to the fabric outlet and let her pick out some ends and offcuts, some needles and thread and let her have fun hand stitching doll-sized clothes, stuffed toys, puppets of her own design.

- You can get a good used sewing machine - check sewing shops for trade-ins. The one place to spend money is on a really good pair of sewing shears.

I'm sure she'll have fun learning a new skill!
#3 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Another idea for the fabric is a consignment store. DD gets cheap fabric by buying old clothes and turning them into new clothes.

Also a word of warning... If she takes to this the same way DD did, you will have no choice but to impose a strict maximum number of clothing allowed in the closet and dresser allowed rule...

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif

#4 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM

* I would definitely invest into a sewing class or find someone to teach sewing, simply because working with a machine can be really frustrating - the thread will rip, get stuck and tangle, etc. etc. etc. And all of these usually have really easy fixes, it will save hours if you have someone to show her the basics.

* I would also encourage her to build up confidence with simple sewing projects such as pillows and purses.

* Sewing dresses for dolls can be a good way to jump into things as well. A ruined dress for a doll is not nearly as maddening as an hours worth of project ruined for yourself (AND saves money in ruined fabric).

Good luck

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#5 of 8 Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 AM

I've been looking into this as well for my 10-year-old step daughter. Finally, something her brother won't take over! Fortunately, my mother taught me the basics of sewing, and I was a girl scout, so I have an idea where to start (though I still have no clue about fashion).

If your daughter is confident enough, can handle scissors, and has good motor skills, then a sewing machine isn't a bad idea. But if they need someone around all the time, then probably not the best first gift. Lessons are probably best. Try asking at the local craft shop, girl scouts, 4-H, or, as was suggested, fabric store. (I learned to sew in scouts, and my sister made clothes for 4-H.)

Our girl isn't very confident, and needs her creativity constantly stimulated (doesn't imagine very well), so I'm going to look for t-shirts and fabric paints, maybe cross-stitch, and some cool Klutz books on Amazon that are make your own paper dolls. Maybe yours is ready for something more challenging.
#6 of 8 Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippySue View Post
I've been looking into this as well for my 10-year-old step daughter. Finally, something her brother won't take over!
Don't be too sure, lol! DS (16 y.o) and DD (13 y.o.) both like to take vintage clothes and re-work them into something new. DS mostly patches his own jeans, and cuts/sews/stencils t-shirts, but I wouldn't be surprised if he took on larger projects.

Every guy should know the basic sewing survival skills - sewing on buttons and hemming. I think they should know how to machine stitch as well, but I know not every family has a sewing machine.
#7 of 8 Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Every person should know the basics of sewing. I know too many people who toss a shirt rather then fix it because a button or two falls of.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#8 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM

My 10 year old dd got the Klutz book for Christmas last year & she has been insanely interested in fashion design ever since. She was actually really freked out that she didn't know how to use a machine at first. I took her to see the Valentino documentary last spring & she was amazed. The Valentino seamstresses actually did not use sewing machines at all - everything was done by hand - and once she saw that, she had no interest in a machine & was sort of liberated to enjoy her creativity.

For her birthday her grandparents put together a box for her with fabric, ribbon, scissors, measuring tape etc. She will spend hours making clothes for her dolls or turning clothes she's outgrown into something new for herself. She actually has a bin specifically for storing clothes once she or her brothers grow out of them so that there's almost always something there to choose from.

There aren't many other girls her age in our neighborhood & she isn't always interested in hanging with the boys all the time. This has been a really good creative outlet for her that she can enjoy on her own at any time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page