Do you play video games with your kids? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a serious debate with my brother regarding my nephew (11) and his Wii obsession. I did actually play Wii sports with him for a hour last weekend, but I don't like that fact that he is actually obsessed with his video games. It's a little scary. He was caught drawing guns on his school paper last week and it was a big mess. School called and they pulled hom out of class that day. it was awful. Anyone have any experiences, thoughts? This was posted in my local paper, but I don't know.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...0325/-1/LIFE15
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DSD is totally obsessed with video games as well. She's only 9 and her mom is letting her play online RPG's that are for adults.

It's at the point where it's almost impossible for us to have a conversation with her because her entire world is video games.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Twin Boys born August 16, 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 28 Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiodollsct View Post
I am having a serious debate with my brother regarding my nephew (11) and his Wii obsession. I did actually play Wii sports with him for a hour last weekend, but I don't like that fact that he is actually obsessed with his video games. It's a little scary. He was caught drawing guns on his school paper last week and it was a big mess. School called and they pulled hom out of class that day. it was awful. Anyone have any experiences, thoughts? This was posted in my local paper, but I don't know.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...0325/-1/LIFE15
:
I don't understand the connection between video games and drawing guns. The boys in my classes drew guns, knives, dragons, and soldiers, back in the day of the Atari 2600.

Nor do I understand why a child was suspended from school for drawing guns, unless he was specifically told to do something other than draw period. (This coming from the gal who was given detention for reading during math class! )

#4 of 28 Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do not play video games, with or without my kids. They bug me to but I just am not into them. I can see where gaming with them could be a bonding experience like that father says, just like anything else can be a bonding experience if both participants are into it.

I also don't see what video games have to do with drawing guns, or even why drawing guns is a problem. My 16 year old went through a phase when he was about 12 and 13 where he drew battles complete with blood and everything. Lots of guns. He also drew all kinds of other things - he likes to draw.
#5 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 04:55 AM

I do a little. But in our family we put limits on them because they
can become addictive.

I think they can be fun, but you definitely need to put healthy
limits on yourself and your child. I actually think its better to
play WITH someone because it tunes you into reality a bit more
and keeps you from getting so sucked in...course depending
on what game we are talking about.
#6 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 01:14 PM

I would if I could, but I stink at video games - all I do is slow down the action. My kids really aren't in to video games, but our only console is in the living room, so when they played, I was usually in there watching and asking questions (or bothering, if you ask them). I see no harm in the games themselves, and I think it's great if kids and parents can play together. My nephew is seriously interested in video games, and if he seems to be a bit too obsessed, the controller just goes missing for a few days.

I also don't necessarily see the connection between drawing a gun and playing video games. Kids have been drawing in class forever - one of my friends managed a mini-masterpiece every single day in social studies. Sometimes guns, sometimes cars, most often comic book girls with giant breasts. I'm sure the school was taking precautionary measures because he drew a gun, but I don't see the leap to video games made him do it.
#7 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 PM

My DP and his brothers/friends were all big into video games..not the RPG's or anything like that but more like Mario Party, etc.

As a result, we're fine with video games (on a healthy level) and actually there's a running competition in our house on who rocks at in Mario Party 7...WE LOVE IT!! (My DS#1 is currently the crownholder, but I'm sneaking up on him this weekend!!).

There are a lot worse things they could be doing and I continue to scoff at the whole "video-games=guns/violence" thing. Kind of like how they did a while back with rock music....oh, the violence because you listen to Smashing Pumpkins or something. *sigh* Let's not start that again!
#8 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
We have played video games with dd for years. Starting with nintendo and now MMOs. I agree with the parent that said it's a bonding experience. There is a lot that goes into gaming and having shared hobbies of any kind with your child is a positive thing that brings families together and increases the likelyhood of good communication between parents and kids. It's also given us a chance to really get to know dd's boyfriends as they play so we end up playing with them also. Good thing all around.
#9 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM

We do! We also play "parallel" games, as in DSD has Sims, and so do I, so we can chat about it even if we don't play together. She is not obsessed, though, and if she was, I think we might have set up a limit, but we make time to do outside, "real life" things as well, so... I vote for Wii, X-Box and the bunch! :

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#10 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM

My DH and I are video game heads, and play together. We also play with our kids and make it an a reward, and a time to connect. Sometimes it's hard to get into my son't imagination world- and when we play video games we then go play outside being those charcters. While I don't have a teenager, I do believe that if you can understand an aspect of your child's life in a time where everything they do is either secret or you don't understand why it's important to them video games can give you a chance to get your foot in the door and connect with them.

I believe that you have to be an active participant in WHAT they are playing. If you don't know the game, or what it's about then you need to do some research and get more understanding. If you know what the game is about- even if you don't play then you can ask questions about the game and then slowly ask about how that translates into reality- if at all.

We have a motto at our house "A family that plays together, stays together" and for us, it works. Like most other things in life it works for some, and not for others. ALso we don't ONLY play video games- board games, card games, and the like.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 14, Jillianne 11, Jensen 9, Jacen 8 & my dog Kota 3

Pagan,Reader,Homeschooler,Friend.
#11 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my kids and i play online RPG's...and it's awesome.

helps with their reading skills and imagination...and with our relationship. we really look forward to slipping into character and having a blast.
#12 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 PM

We play with our kids, but we don't have the violent kind or anything. We play other games too. We play maybe once every couple weeks, it is the only time the 6 year old plays though.
#13 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Yep.....we are all into games at our house.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#14 of 28 Old 11-17-2007, 11:42 PM

We all love playing the skiing/snowboarding video games! We have an absolute blast!!! Wii is coming out with a skiing one and it looks so cool!!!
#15 of 28 Old 11-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Ds and I play Madden (football) and GT (car racing) games together. It's loads of fun! Some of our best conversations have been in between talking smack to each other over a Madden game

I ROCK at Madden :
#16 of 28 Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm a Zelda fan.My ds and dd play too. We also play Sims off and on. Lately my ds has been wanting me to play Guitar Hero with him. I may try my hand at that this weekend. Oh, and my dd and I will karioke (sp?) sometimes. I really want a Wii - we have been looking, but to no avail.
#17 of 28 Old 11-19-2007, 03:06 AM

We routinely play video games, among loads of other games (board, cards, chess, risk, etc.). ds & dd play Halo with me and we've played Halo, Halo2 on Xbox live. Mostly we play various race car (RallySport!) games and both kids love SSX3. I play MMO's (my job) but kids don't yet. They play free flash or java games online but that's about it. Ironically, gaming takes up very little of our family time... probably because that's my job and I like to "leave" work whenever I can. Most of our time is spent playing futbol (SAHkur) and surfing. We just started them mountain biking which has been a total riot! This spring we're starting them backpacking.

Drawing guns in class and gettin' nailed for it... welcum to 'Merkuh, land of the terrified and stooopid. I feel for ya.

As a game title author, I have to say, it's imperative that parents play with their kids... and keep the game play in context of real human life on a real planet. Balance, glashoppa.... balance.
#18 of 28 Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 AM

My hubby plays with them, but I don't in general. Once in a while I will, but mostly it's for comic relief. They like to laugh at their poor mom trying to manage to make the characters do what they are supposed to do. We are considering a Wii for a family gift for Christmas, and then I'm sure I'd try to play that with hilarious results as well.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#19 of 28 Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Ds is not obsessed he does pretty good with monitoring his game level but I have played certain games with him. DH does mostly though.
#20 of 28 Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Schools are terrified of weapons... anything that relates to weapons in any way, shape or form. Clothing, books, drawings, etc. They are on permanent red alert of having a Columbine happen at their schools. At my son's school (its 7th-12th) there are about a dozen dress code rules specifically made to avoid any kind of reference to weapons, be it clothing that suggests them, or even baggy shirts/pants/untucked shirts/backpacks etc. Its a bit ridiculous and extreme, but it makes it easy to understand why they would freak out about something like a drawing of a gun, if it was done in a way that was outside of "art class".

My house is a gaming household, but we dont play with our 12 yr old DS. We just all play. I actually think its a great bonding experience and I wish that my DH would play with him more often, but DS tends to get competitive and easily frustrated when he looses, and it cuts the time short when DH does actually play with him.

I don't let DS play a lot of online multi user games and am not going to let him have a computer of his own this Christmas only because for him, that type of game tends to pull out an addictive tendency that I'm not comfortable with. He has free reign over PS2/gameboy/etc type games though.
#21 of 28 Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 PM

DH and SS play together ALL the time, on everything from PS2 to XBox. I've been known to play with SS on old games like SuperMario, but the complex games don't appeal to me. Frankly, video games these days are too loud and annoying for my taste, but I know that DH and SS bond over them constantly.

During the school year, we have a rule that videogames are only played in the morning before school, if and only if all morning preparations are complete. Aside from that, it's a week-end thing. That doesn't mean DH doesn't play weeknights and let SS watch him though! In addition, we also have a balancing out rule: you can play video games for as much time as you have read, played guitar, done some free-learning (supervised internet research on a given topic) or crafts. That way, it exposes SS to a whole bunch of other activities, and he has to "bank" his videogame time.

Aside from that, I don't really think that video games directly cause violence. It just depends on how they are handled. We try to vary video games with board games, like Monopoly or chess, or just plain old style games like Jenga or dominos. I think that as long as you *play* with your kids, they notice, and they'll be excited no matter what it is.
#22 of 28 Old 11-23-2007, 05:00 PM

DD and I play games together. We play Wii, Gamecube (on Wii), DS...Dh and she also play MarioKart about once a week together. My daughter isn't violent at all. We also play board games, do crafts, read, draw, go for walks, etc. together.

We don't have rules about video games but I've noticed that she will immerse herself in a game (or a book or a craft or whatever) until she's had enough of it then she moves on. So, at times it seems like "all she does" is play video games...if you see her at one of the times she's immersed in a game. But then she goes days without playing a game...
#23 of 28 Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM

we all play lord of the rings online. We have some really fun times together playing online games. Its great for rainy / bleak days.
#24 of 28 Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM

dh plays some and he's much better at them. He's older than me too so it's not an age thing. I just preferred reading when I was young

I also don't see a connection between games (especially if he's playing sports games) and drawing guns.
#25 of 28 Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
DSD is totally obsessed with video games as well. She's only 9 and her mom is letting her play online RPG's that are for adults.

It's at the point where it's almost impossible for us to have a conversation with her because her entire world is video games.
This is my nephew. His whole conversations revolve around his life in video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiodollsct View Post
.....but I don't like that fact that he is actually obsessed with his video games. It's a little scary. He was caught drawing guns on his school paper last week and it was a big mess.
My nephew was suspended (4th grade) for writing, DIE, KILL over and over on a piece of paper while at school.

He plays online video or playstation (that is at the foot of his bed! ALL the time. Not to mention some handheld gaming device as well.

It is so sad to me and I've tried to talk to my SIL about it but she is so off the mark (thinks the school is over reacting!!) and just doesn't see his attitude, behaviour and social issues as a problem from video games. In reality, she is the kind of parent that doesn't see anything wrong with her child and it's all the schools fault --ugh (and that is another whole discussion!)

So sad.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#26 of 28 Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I have never liked video games and I suck at playing. My kids have kinda grown out of it although they are still teenagers (except for two). I'ved even been known to proclaim that discussing video games in my presence was against the rules.
#27 of 28 Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Dh plays with the kids. I have no interest in playing video games, ever,
#28 of 28 Old 12-19-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
Schools are terrified of weapons... anything that relates to weapons in any way, shape or form. Clothing, books, drawings, etc. They are on permanent red alert of having a Columbine happen at their schools. At my son's school (its 7th-12th) there are about a dozen dress code rules specifically made to avoid any kind of reference to weapons, be it clothing that suggests them, or even baggy shirts/pants/untucked shirts/backpacks etc. Its a bit ridiculous and extreme, but it makes it easy to understand why they would freak out about something like a drawing of a gun, if it was done in a way that was outside of "art class".

My house is a gaming household, but we dont play with our 12 yr old DS. We just all play. I actually think its a great bonding experience and I wish that my DH would play with him more often, but DS tends to get competitive and easily frustrated when he looses, and it cuts the time short when DH does actually play with him.

I don't let DS play a lot of online multi user games and am not going to let him have a computer of his own this Christmas only because for him, that type of game tends to pull out an addictive tendency that I'm not comfortable with. He has free reign over PS2/gameboy/etc type games though.
To prevent another Columbine we must learn from Columbine. The lesson was clear. But it was not learned by who needed to learn it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page