What articles and features of Mothering issue 152 did you enjoy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 152 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Your Child's First Healer 30 100.00%
Your Letters 17 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 11 84.62%
Rocker Mama 34 100.00%
The Family That Plays Together... 26 100.00%
12 Cool Games You May Not Have Heard Of 25 100.00%
The Science of Sharing Sleep 66 100.00%
Pro-Family Without the Family Bed? 40 100.00%
The Solace of the Family Bed 52 100.00%
UN-Weaning Georgia 53 100.00%
The Indian Table 10 76.92%
By Your Side 6 46.15%
Strokes of Genius 6 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
For me "Rocker Mom" didn't make me "kind of uneasy" (as PP said), it made me downright sick and angry. It begins with the author feeling uncomfortable because she thinks others may be judging her based on her clothing (though it seems no one actually said anything to her.) Then she goes on a rampage of judging and putting down all the others based on their clothing! It ends on a grossly self-righteous note as the author practically puts her arm out of joint patting herself on the back for singing with the kids on the bus.
Definitely not in the spirit of Mothering Magazine!
Did anyone on the editorial staff even read this before they published it?

And the sad thing is that at the beginning it seemed like it would be a nice article, someone finding her confidence and realizing that we all wear different things (based on our own taste but also budget, lifestyle, figure, religion, etc.) but it's what's inside that counts. And realizing we can build ourselves up without putting others down. I understand some people chose to just take the good from the article and ignore the bad. However, if you have to ignore large portions of the piece in order to take away something good, it means one of two things: either it really was mean-spirited or else it was simply poor writing. Either way it was not up to Mothering Magazine's standards!

I might add I happen to LOVE high-rise blue jeans. Low rise jeans are very uncomfortable as they slide down my hips as the day wears on, plus they don't do a thing for my figure. So if someone looks at me and doesn't want to be my friend because of my "blue jeans up to my ribcage," well... your loss.

Jen
I totally agree. I spent the entire time I was reading that article ranting to my husband. I just hate the attitude of the "conforming through non-conformity" crowd, and this article reeked of that. The only judgment was coming from the author, of these mythical mothers I've never personally encountered anywhere - dowdy and frumpy in their kitty sweaters, but with perfectly manicured hands that clearly take them away from their children. If I saw you on the playground, with your "cool" clothes and hair, I wouldn't judge you. But I am definitely judging you after reading that article.

For the record, I am none of the moms in your article. I am evolved, a version of myself that combines the loves of my childhood and teen years with the adult that I have become. The Smashing Pumpkins concert shirts are now in my pajama drawer, and the CDs ripped to my iPod, alongside Laurie Berkner and The Wiggles. I am happy with myself, and hope that the author of that article can continue to look at the issues that make her so self conscious and worried (for no apparent reason) that everyone around her is looking down on her because she's so cool, so that she can enjoy herself a bit more, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was pretty appalled while reading "Rocker Mama", but I did appreciate the reminder to step out of ourselves once in awhile so we can be in the moment with our children. I am sad that this lovely point is overshadowed by the stereotyping and judgement that pervades the article. I would love to see a response from the editors and author to some of the criticism laid by other readers. How could she not feel the negative tone in her article, and why on earth didn't the editorial board protect the (usually!) wonderful spirit of this unique magazine?
#33 of 34 Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Banned

I thoroughly enjoyed the articles about board games with kids and the Indian food recipes. My DD loves playing board games with us and I needed some ideas to keep them fresh. I also like being validated in my belief that playing board games with my almost 4 year old is a quality way to spend time with her.

The Indian recipes look good, however, next time a couple more vegetarian recipes would be great.

As for Rocker Mama or whatever, I have to agree with the rest of the posters who thought the piece was judgemental and icky. While it could have been given a positive spin, where the author remembers that it is what is on the inside that is important. I tend to not fit in here very well. I don't have a manicure and I do have purple hair, however, I don't want to look down my nose at the moms who have Chocoholic shirts or high waisted pants. I prefer a more positive outlook on parenting than the author put forth.

#34 of 34 Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM

most of the issues are good and hard to choose the best

:::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page