Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Currently in Mothering Magazine (https://www.mothering.com/forum/393-currently-mothering-magazine/)
-   -   What articles and features of Mothering issue 152 did you enjoy? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/393-currently-mothering-magazine/1022438-what-articles-features-mothering-issue-152-did-you-enjoy.html)

JessicaS 01-07-2009 05:24 AM

Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the January-February 2009 issue 152 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue 152. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 152. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

mamakah 01-08-2009 04:14 PM

I would just like to thanks Mothering magazine for existing. My mother paid for a subscription to Mothering when we learned I was pregnant with my first child. Going against the grain is not always easy ( I live in Utah, where my attitudes towards natural family living are not often embraced) and I have found so much support, comfort, and confidence within the pages of this magazine. Starting with my choice to have a natural childbirth, followed by breastfeeding, co sleeping, baby carrying, not circumcising or vaccinating, Mothering has been with me the whole way cheering me on and reassuring me! Thank you for not only opening my eyes, but for continuing to encourage my choices! I love Mothering magazine!!!!

Cheshire 01-09-2009 02:05 AM

Great job! I love issue #152.

The only drawback I found personally was after reading Rocker Momma, instead of usually feeling great about parenting after reading your articles, I felt weird and kind of bad.

Your articles are usually very uplifting and if I fell into the crowd of young, rocker t-shirt wearing mommas I might feel uplifted. Instead, I'm not a rocker momma and I hope I'd never give a rocker momma disapproving glances. And, I hope that no other MDC momma's would either. Because I'm not a rocker momma I felt "uncool" after reading the article.

I guess I feel like it missed the mark of your usual stories that celebrate mothering without putting other mothers down in some way because they are different.

I loved the co-sleeping articles!!! Thank you!

srlpenny 01-09-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Great job! I love issue #152.

The only drawback I found personally was after reading Rocker Momma, instead of usually feeling great about parenting after reading your articles, I felt weird and kind of bad.

Your articles are usually very uplifting and if I fell into the crowd of young, rocker t-shirt wearing mommas I might feel uplifted. Instead, I'm not a rocker momma and I hope I'd never give a rocker momma disapproving glances. And, I hope that no other MDC momma's would either. Because I'm not a rocker momma I felt "uncool" after reading the article.

I guess I feel like it missed the mark of your usual stories that celebrate mothering without putting other mothers down in some way because they are different.
I agree completely.

AllyRae 01-10-2009 12:05 AM

As a mama that still co-sleeps with her 5 year old and her 2 year old (and 1 more next week!), I loved the sharing sleep article. In fact, I read the question on the cover to my 5 year old ( "Who wants to sleep alone?" ) and my 5 year old, serious as anything, said "I don't know--definitely NOT ME!" and then my 2 year old cuddled up. Apparently, they agree.

NettleTea 01-10-2009 01:51 AM

I really enjoyed the "Rocker Mama" article. I dress differently and am most comfortable when I do. I sometimes find myself thinking that I should probably stop now because I am getting too 'old' to not be wearing what I'm 'supposed' to wear. However, I am just not happy that way. This article was encouraging to me. It showed me that there are other mothers out there who dress and feel this way and it is not just me. It is easy to feel alone in these things because sometimes you do get looked down on for dressing differently.

I can see how the article might be taken as a comparison of two different styles of mothers and perhaps even a put down (some parts of it probably should have been worded better so as to not come off sounding like something in that direction). But the meaning of the article goes deeper than that, imo. I think it is just what it is - an article about feeling like the odd one out when everyone is doing the same thing and you're not. And there is nothing necessarily wrong with either one.

hollytheteacher 01-12-2009 01:57 AM

Such a great all around issue. One of the best this year!

~patty 01-12-2009 02:14 PM

I was so excited that this issue was devoted to co-sleeping. I thought there was something wrong with my bed-sharing, breastfed babe, because she woke up a lot at night. Thanks for making me feel better.

I also loved the "rocker mom" article, because I have always dressed/been wild. I think my daughter is going to enjoy having a fun mom!!

yogafeet 01-13-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post

I can see how the article might be taken as a comparison of two different styles of mothers and perhaps even a put down (some parts of it probably should have been worded better so as to not come off sounding like something in that direction). But the meaning of the article goes deeper than that, imo. I think it is just what it is - an article about feeling like the odd one out when everyone is doing the same thing and you're not. And there is nothing necessarily wrong with either one.
:

quinbearzmama 01-14-2009 11:01 PM

Such a great issue- from cover to cover. I enjoyed every article (especially Rocker Mama- something I needed to read *right now* and each of the sleep sharing pieces...and the new media reviews (love that calendar)...and the Indian table- okay, I adored them all.) One of the best issues I've read in some time- and I LOVE each Mothering issue, so that's saying something!:

Bad Mama Jama 01-15-2009 05:57 AM

i voted for three but my favorite of those was Un-Weaning Georgia because it was a really sweet article and the mama was so tuned into her dd's needs that she just did what was necessary and that really resonated with me.

NettleTea 01-15-2009 05:44 PM

Where was the father article? I thought that was going to be a regular part of each issue

flower01 01-18-2009 12:45 PM

I LOVED A Quiet Place - it was informative, and yet reasurring that I'm making good decisions for my child's health even though I might not be comfortable with the traditional medical model of health. I was really happy to see that Peggy recommended naturopaths and chiropractors as primary care doctors.

I really liked all the articles...i felt myself wanting more with the co-sleeping articles - i wished Toddlers and older kids would have been addressed. Other than that though a well-rounded magazine. I appreciated the game reviews, and the indian recipes. UnWeaning Georgia particularly spoke to me - i have not weaned my toddler yet, but I can totally see this happening with her when 2nd baby comes along.

The Rocker Mama article was amusing, though I did find it a little off-putting that if you're not a cool rocker mom than you're the type that wears "very blue jeans hiked up to the middle of ribcages." I wasn't offended but I felt like it was pretty generalizing.

CHoney 01-18-2009 06:36 PM

I was especially grateful for the article on co-sleeping. I was afraid to try bed sharing, as my friends insisted it wasn't safe and I could roll over and crush the baby. This article helped make me feel comfortable with my decision to co-sleep and I also enjoyed the pictures of parents sharing sleep with their baby. I love this magazine and all the advice it gives for raising a child naturally. It encourages me to do what I feel is right, even though it might be against what all my other friends are doing.

bwdiaz 01-21-2009 10:07 PM

I voted for rocker momma and for the two pieces on board games. I have read a lot about co-sleeping and the family bed in numerous natural living forums, so while I appreciate those pieces the other articles were more meaningful to me.

The reason rocker momma was so valuble to me was not because it was comparing the way one type of person or group dressed to another type of person or group. It was comparing where the momma's mindset was. As she says near the end, she spent so much time focusing on her perceptions of what the others thought of her that she missed out on what her child thought. Her child appreciated her for what she could give. So, while I think I dress like the non-rocker moms, I recognize that all moms worry about things that sometimes get in the way of what is meaningful in our relationships with our kids. For me, that was an important reminder.

I also like the article about the benefits of boardgames and the one about games I hadn't heard of before. My family blends different approaches to play, my husband came from a family where games like these were not valued, but I came from a family where they were. So, this has helped me get my courage up to bring something back into my play with my child that I'd marginalized somewhat. Once again, I let what I thought others might think get in the way of what my child and I might have together.

So for me, the rocker momma article went hand in hand with the games. Thanks for another meaningful issue.

SheepNumber97245 01-23-2009 05:11 PM

I voted for The Science of Sharing Sleep... and not just because our pictures are part of it.

I'm grateful to have something to show friends and family when I am criticized for keeping my son in my bed with me. I'm also glad you chose to put so many pictures of families sharing their beds. When I gave the magazine to my mom to show her our pictures, she saw the collage of all the other families and said, "Wow I guess there's a lot of people who sleep with their babies, huh?"

CrunchySmurf 01-24-2009 02:24 PM

I was so excited to find this issue in my mailbox last week. It is my first issue! It was a Christmas gift from my wife.

I loved the whole issue. I voted for a couple of different things. My very favorite though was The Indian Table. I am so excited to try out the recipes. I like Indian food, but my wife and step-daughter LOVE it, so I'm excited to try out some things that they may like. My wife's ex is Indian, so my step-daughter is half-Indian; they are used to really. good. food.

Thanks Mothering, for an issue that will make the whole family happy!

momasana 01-25-2009 05:11 AM

DH and I really enjoyed the sleep articles in this issue. I have shared them with a Mom-to-be who has expressed interest in our sleeping arrangements. Thank you!

I did not care for the Rocker Momma article in this issue. I understand that it was well intentioned, but I felt that it came across as judgemental and slightly superficial.

athansor 01-28-2009 04:06 PM

I liked the sleep sharing articles, especially in light of the negative press sleep sharing has been getting again. I also loved the pictures in that article, and decided I need to get some of my little one (and usually his big brother) in the family bed.

mama23ms 01-29-2009 12:17 AM

I loved the magazine this month. The co-sleeping/bed sharing articles were very informative. I also liked the "Rocker Mama" story. The author seemed ok with herself and her indiviualism in the end and that's what makes us all unique. What a nice reminder that it's ok to be different and be ok with it!

lamamax3 01-29-2009 03:41 PM

I bought this issue specifically because I read the cover, which mentioned unweaning a toddler. My two and a half year old daughter ran into trouble nursing (latch issues) after two weeks on asthma meds that dried out her mouth. I have read many articles since then that discuss the fact that toddlers forget how to latch after not nursing for a prolonged time. I hoped to get tips from your article. Either the author's daughter is a super-genius, totally unusual three year old who did not forget how to latch after six months of not nursing, or the author skipped over some stuff.

As someone who has struggled to get her toddler to learn how to nurse correctly again (she didn't want to wean, but wouldn't open her mouth wide when it was time to nurse, which lead to two months of horrific feeling nursing for me before she stopped), a story about someone's three year old happily latching on after six months like she had never stopped was disheartening.

I loved the co-sleeping articles!

amlikam 01-29-2009 05:40 PM

I live on the boarder on NY state and hate the new separate sleep ads... i thought the pov was fascinating

dh and i <3 this magazine! only down fall is all the ads... love knowing about products but wish there was more content - we go through it so quickly. At least you can brag about the level of content you privde!

thanks
:

dsaucone 01-30-2009 10:55 PM

Thank you for the science of sharing sleep article. We found ourselves "accidentally" co-sleeping when our daughter was born 2 years ago. Our son was born last month. I thought to myself as I set up the cradle, "this is pointless". He's spent a total of 10 minutes in it, just as I had expected. I'm bringing this issue with me to our next doctor's visit to whip out when I'm asked about how I put him down to sleep.

RedPony 02-02-2009 01:35 PM

DH & I always planned to co-sleep. It's been the absolute best thing we could have done for our daughter (besides our homebirth and continued nursing) who is now 2 and a half. We dealt with months and months of opposition from our mothers, however, and while it didn't change what or how we did things with DD, we did feel torn down and misunderstood. This issue was a complete affirmation! What a joy to see and enjoy all the co-sleeping moms, dads, and babies... even if we didn't "need" the information in the articles to know that our choices for DD (and her sibling due this April) were the best ones, we certainly enjoyed the shot in the arm. Thank you!

kmc 02-16-2009 06:20 PM

Rocker Mama kind of made me feel uneasy. I'm glad the author figured out that she should have stopped being so self-conscious and pay more attention to her child, but she never seemed to figure out that she was horrendously judgemental. I'm not a kitty cat sweater, high-waisted jeans wearing mom and I honestly don't know many moms who are. This is so stereotypical they've done a skit about it on SNL. I'm sure there are some women who dress this way...who cares!!! Honestly, I don't think I've ever noticed if someone's nails are manicured or not. And why would this bother somebody? The author is obviously not comfortable with her own style if it makes her so self conscious to be around people who are different. This article was definitley not in the spirit of Mothering Magazine.

StoriesInTheSoil 02-18-2009 06:09 AM

I really enjoyed the UN-weaning Georgia piece. The story was really beautifully written.

NettleTea 02-19-2009 03:29 AM

I just wanted to add that I appreciated seeing Flogging Molly mentioned at the end of the "Rocker Mama" article.

jenP 02-20-2009 02:30 PM

For me "Rocker Mom" didn't make me "kind of uneasy" (as PP said), it made me downright sick and angry. It begins with the author feeling uncomfortable because she thinks others may be judging her based on her clothing (though it seems no one actually said anything to her.) Then she goes on a rampage of judging and putting down all the others based on their clothing! It ends on a grossly self-righteous note as the author practically puts her arm out of joint patting herself on the back for singing with the kids on the bus.
Definitely not in the spirit of Mothering Magazine!
Did anyone on the editorial staff even read this before they published it?

And the sad thing is that at the beginning it seemed like it would be a nice article, someone finding her confidence and realizing that we all wear different things (based on our own taste but also budget, lifestyle, figure, religion, etc.) but it's what's inside that counts. And realizing we can build ourselves up without putting others down. I understand some people chose to just take the good from the article and ignore the bad. However, if you have to ignore large portions of the piece in order to take away something good, it means one of two things: either it really was mean-spirited or else it was simply poor writing. Either way it was not up to Mothering Magazine's standards!

I might add I happen to LOVE high-rise blue jeans. Low rise jeans are very uncomfortable as they slide down my hips as the day wears on, plus they don't do a thing for my figure. So if someone looks at me and doesn't want to be my friend because of my "blue jeans up to my ribcage," well... your loss.

Jen

NettleTea 02-23-2009 06:49 AM

funkymamajoy 02-25-2009 09:55 PM

I love all the snapshots of co-sleeping parents and babies. They're all so cute I got teary eyed.