What articles and features of Mothering issue #153 did you enjoy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #153 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: The Assault on Freedom of Conscious 25 100.00%
Your Letters 19 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 12 100.00%
Jumping Off Cliffs 38 100.00%
Dad Gets His Day 32 100.00%
Crafty Mamas 66 100.00%
Home is Where the Job is 22 100.00%
The High Cost of Autism 18 100.00%
Fresh From the Fields 25 100.00%
Sing Out 6 50.00%
Strokes of Genuis 2 16.67%
Living Treasure: Marsha Walker 6 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 35 Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to say Peggy's thoughts and feelings on HIV/AIDS and what t means in the USA really REALLY got me thinking.
I have never tested positive for HIV, I don't think I know anyone who has, either.
Never the less, while reading 'the assualt on freedom of conscience' I was reminded of the cover that featured Christine Maggiore several years ago. I saw that cover in line at WF way before I was a mom, or thought of being one, before I read Mothering magazine. But the cover stuck in my mind, it seemed revolutionary to me that people were questioning AIDS and that a magazine was covering this.
Anyway, looking forward to now, reading that and being reminded of how that cover made me feel, I started to look into AIDS/HIV this month and ordered Christine's book and also 'Inventing the AIDS virus' and have finished Christine's book and started the other last night.
I am absolutely convinved that there is more to the AIDS story than we have been told. I know now that HIV does not = AIDS does not = death. And that is so cool to know, but so sad that most people will never hear the truth.

Thank you, Peggy, for not being scared to talk about the truth, no matter what. Please keep it up, it is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM

I liked

A Quiet Place; The Assault on Freedom of Concious
Jumping Off Cliffs

Crafty Mamas (so nice to see Amanda Soule mentioned)
Fresh from the Fields

Out of all of the ones I liked Fresh from the Fields was definitely my favorite.

Here is something that the author wrote in the article that really means a lot to me:

"Grass-fed animal products cost more - often, a lot more. But this seems appropriate to me. Animal food should be considered precious and valuable; after all, a life has been sacrificed to sustain yours."

Wonderful.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#33 of 35 Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 AM

I just have to chime in and say that the whole magazine was great! Convinced me to subscribe. Also the picture that someone sent in of the daddies playing rock band while babywearing was so adorable!

~Swanvalkyrie

#34 of 35 Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 AM

LOVED Crafty Mamas, Peggy's essay, and Jumping Off Cliffs!

I really appreciated the article on the cost of autism, but was a little surprised to see the focus on ABA and behavioral therapy, something that as a special education teacher, I feel is a bit outdated. It would have been nice to see more options explored, especially fitting since pretty much all autism treatments can run into BIG $$$!
#35 of 35 Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Jumping Off Cliffs was great. Such a refreshing way to look at "ADHD" like personalities.

I will be sharing this with some of the parents I work with to show them that there are some positive aspects of having a child with certain traits that fall in to the "ADHD" category.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page