What articles and features of Mothering issue #153 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #153 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: The Assault on Freedom of Conscious 25 100.00%
Your Letters 19 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 12 100.00%
Jumping Off Cliffs 38 100.00%
Dad Gets His Day 32 100.00%
Crafty Mamas 66 100.00%
Home is Where the Job is 22 100.00%
The High Cost of Autism 18 100.00%
Fresh From the Fields 25 100.00%
Sing Out 6 50.00%
Strokes of Genuis 2 16.67%
Living Treasure: Marsha Walker 6 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 35 Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the March-April 2009 issue #153 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #153. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #153. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Fay

I really love the dad's perspective.

And I appreciated the angle on autism, though I was surprised by the emphasis on behavioral therapy, when play therapy is both less expensive and more supportive of family bonds. We sold our house in 2005 to pay for DS1's long-term therapeutic needs and have been very happy with that decision. Most people, even close family members, have no idea how much time, energy and money is necessary to support an autistic child's developmental needs. I would have loved to have seen an autistic child on the magazine cover, or better yet, an autistic child surrounded by his/her loving family. Maybe you'll consider a photo shoot with my beautiful DS1 next time? Haha!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM

I was a big fan of the article about grass fed beef and went to check out eatwild.com. Very good site!

#4 of 35 Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 AM

I found the article "Jumping Off Cliffs" really spoke to my soul. As the mother of a high-spirited 3.5 year old, I have learned that my mothering has to adapt to his personality. He is a never-ending fountain of energy, and we have been on the receiving end of several bouts of judgement. My parenting style with him has become very hands-off in order to encourage him to find his own voice. Because of my hands-off approach, I've received several looks, whispers, and even the direct discipline of several other parents. But I just gently remind them that we're trying to let him find his own way, do his own thing, and discover his own consequences. It's been a journey; we strive everyday to be more of a "yes" family than a "no" family. As a result, my happy, rambunctious toddler has shown me love, courage, and inspiration beyond measure.

How refreshing to read an article about a child so similar to my own and see one mother's success through a parenting style I strive for everyday! Thank you, Mothering, for reminding me I'm not alone with my high-spirited learner.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 35 Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM

I loved the crafty moms article. It totally described what I am slowly becoming as a stay at home mom. I love to sew, knit, and cook from scratch. I also loved jumping off of cliffs, I'm really happy to see a mom stand up for her child and not medicate them because they can't sit in their seat at school. It was wonderful that this mother was able to see her sons potential despite his ADHD. All parents with children who have ADHD should take a leaf out of her book, and so should our educational system!

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#6 of 35 Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
LIke Ben's Mommy, we have a very spirited child here, well, actually now a teen. I could relate very well to that article! I'm just constantly amazed that my son has not been to the emergency room more than he has! It was cool to hear of a child that is now grown up, whose mother survived his childhood!

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 35 Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM

First off, I loved the Jumping off Cliffs story, and I always love reading more about dad's and their perspectives.
I was saddened by the beef article, however, enough to wonder if Mothering is still a magazine for me and my family. I know it's not a veg*n publication, but I would imagine that there's a pretty significant number of vegetarians (perhaps higher than in the general population) that read the magazine. Big photos of beef were a bit hard to look at.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#8 of 35 Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 AM

I like Jumping off cliffs. I have a high spirited child he likes to climb on things and jump off of them all the time. I can see so many of what the mom talks about in my son even thought he is six I see it. I also like crafty mom. I have been taught by my mom for so many years to sew quilts by hand and to knit (althought the article makes me want to take a refresher in knitting.) I love things made by my mom for the boys and would love to learn those things to pass it on to my future DIL in say 110 yeas ya know.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#9 of 35 Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 PM

I really got a lot out of the freedom of conscience article. I've been dealing with some very close minded and frustrating pediatricians lately. When I've questioned the decisions they've made regarding the care of my youngest - outright disagreeing with them - they sent me a handwritten letter stating that they are troubled when their patients don't trust their care and troubled that I don't think they provide the best care for my child. I think they have forgotten that this is my child - not just their patient. I am the one with him for 24 hours a day - they see him for 10 minutes. The decisions I make regarding the medications he takes, the care he receives, even the second and third opinions - are just that - my decisions. I give them all very careful thought and I research every tiny detail. The fact that I don't just say - Yes Doctor - is what bothers them most it seems. I have the right to make these decisions - whether it's about vaccines or medicines or anything.

Your article really reinforced what I feel and made me feel a lot better - I've been beaten down the last few days by them.

Thanks so much!
#10 of 35 Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Crafty Mamas is probably one of my favorite feel good articles ever. I want to remove the pages from the magazine and put them on the walls. These women are such an inspiration to keep at what you love. And, seeing SouleMama in Mothering made me jump for excitement!

I also really loved Jumping off Cliffs. It spoke to my childhood, not directly about myself, but people who I loved and cared about as a kid, who were little live wires - my best friend, my cousin, my baby bother, the list goes on.
That raw power and urge to live life should be something we all admire. I wish I had those shoes to fill.

I know this isn't a place to mention bits you don't enjoy. But, the GIANT close up photos of beef were really really really difficult to look at, and made me feel ill. I understand the positives about sharing information and education about where beef comes from, but the grass grazing sweet cows followed by the dripping plates were too much for me to handle.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#11 of 35 Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really enjoyed Crafty Mamas! My wonderful husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and this was the inspiration I needed to get up and get serious about starting some projects. I can't wait to get up and running now!

Vegan family since 2011 - DS1 1/08, DS2 11/10, DS3 6/14
#12 of 35 Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 AM

I really enjoyed the Crafty Mamas article! I really identified with it, and it gave me new incentive to finish up some projects that I had laying around!

However, as a vegetarian, I had some pretty big issues with the very large pictures of meat. I do feel that the article was well-written and is definitely something I showed my meat-eating extended family. However, I think Mothering has a larger vegetarian following then most parenting magazines, and the pictures of raw meat were a huge turn-off for me personally.
#13 of 35 Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM

This was a great issue. I liked every article. To me, the standouts were Jumping off Cliffs and Dad gets his Day. Two examples of superior writing and interesting perspectives.
The meat didn't bother me at all. I went vegan in 1998 in response to factory farming. Now things are changing. There are starting to be farms that are farming in a way that works with the earth and produces food that is good for our health and good for the earth. Even though the cow is killed, local grass-fed organic antibiotic free beef can still be a better choice for the world as a whole than some conventionally grown grains and vegetables. I think its great to highlight the health benefits of "real" food like that, these farmers deserve recognition and support so maybe bit by bit we can get back to a better model of agriculture in this country.
The crafty moms article was actually a bit depressing. Their craft rooms and homes and kitchens and their crafts were so incredible, it makes me feel like a complete loser. Still, I enjoyed looking at the pictures.
The working from home article was interesting and helpful too.
The freedom of conscience article (note it is misspelled in the poll) was very thought provoking. I'm wondering if we had complete freedom, what about things that really are abuse? I want freedom to cosleep and not vax, but what about someone else who wants freedom to discipline with a belt or circumcise their girls? Should things be anything goes? If not, who decides which freedoms are granted or denied? No easy answers there.
Overall a great issue with great writing and great photography.

Jen
#14 of 35 Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

:
#15 of 35 Old 03-17-2009, 05:58 PM

There is so much about this issue I loved.

I loved the Consciousness piece. It was perfectly aligned with my personal belief that it is not so much about what you do as much as with what consciousness you do it with, which I why I was thankful that you included the grassfed beef information. This is such an important aspect of the current state of food and I know there are many, many omnivores here who appreciate the inclusion.

I also really enjoyed the piece about the boy who jumped off cliffs. It really speaks to how important it is to not label children and instead expand on what they do well. Bravo to the mom and author!
#16 of 35 Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 AM

LOVED Crafty Mamas! It was great to see a glimpse of the creative life, I think it's one many of us strive for. It couldn't have come at a better time as I had just begun work on a new list of crafty and creative activities to inspire other mamas. I was able to incorporate some of the resources from the article into my blog which rounded it out very nicely. To be honest that's the only article I've read so far, but I'm looking forward to the rest of it. : )

Joli
#17 of 35 Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM

:

Love SouleMama-- I stalk her blog every day. I was so excited to see her profiled in Mothering! Way to go Mothering! After reading her book, I have found myself to not think about the every day things that need to be done (washing dishes, etc) and to just sit and relax and enjoy the moments I spend with my child. Being the uncreative crafty person I am, I was glad to see that Mother chose this as an article as I'm always learning. It just doesn't come to me like it does to some of you. I can't wait to see SouleMama's next craft book that comes out this Summer
#18 of 35 Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM

I loved the whole issue. I'm enjoying my new subscription so much!

In particular, I really enjoyed: Jumping from Cliffs - my little brother (15 1/2) is dx ADHD (among other things) and I saw him (especially younger him!!!) so much in that article. I hope he is able to find as much success and enjoyment in life as he becomes an adult.; Home is Where the Job Is - my wife is currently a WAHM and will be the primary caretaker of our future babe. I was *very* excited to see this article on the cover and couldn't wait to get into it, and enjoyed the article, but I was hoping there would be more practical, day-to-day with a wee one, information. While she has adjusted well to WAHMing, I think it is entirely different doing it now with our 16 yr old v. with a new baby. I was hoping for more guidance in that area.; finally, Fresh from the Fields and Sing Out! were at the top of my favorite list too. Loved seeing the music suggestions and can't wait to try out the recipes.
#19 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM

I loved Peggys a Quiet Place. It is so very reassuring to have our power as parents reaffirmed. And so very frustrating to have my decision as a informed parent unaccepted by people who are learning just like I am.
For me, Peggy puts her finger right on the issues.

Crafty Mama's was awesome. I look forward to being at that stage in my life when I can be that much more self reliant. For now, DS is too little, although he does help me in the garden. Definitly gonna go find SouleMama.

Thanks for yet another great issue.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#20 of 35 Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM

I fully enjoyed this issue from front to back but the article that really touched me was the one about the wonderful crafty mamas. With a 7.5 month old DD at home, I have not been up to much creative activities for a little while (too long!). This article really motivated me to resume engagement in some creative acts which I had previously enjoyed and I have even started converting an infrequently used spare room into a little sewing escape pad. Thanks for providing the weblinks to these crafty mama's blogs - lots of inspirational ideas

Mama to two beautiful girls (Aug '08 & Jan '11). Learning as we go...

#21 of 35 Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

This issue didn't do much for me. I don't know why. The last issue was so great. I loved so much of the info and articles that this month was a real let down.

Maybe the next issue will better for me

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#22 of 35 Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM

beautiful photography and profiles in the Crafty Mamas article - very inspiring and reassuring, too.

SAHM mama to DD1 (2008) and DD2 (2012).

love is a place / & through this place of / love move / (with brightness of peace) / all places
yes is a world / & in this world of / yes live / (skilfully curled) / all worlds [e e cummings]

#23 of 35 Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM

I liked the Jumping off cliffs piece. The Crafty Mamas article did absolutely nothing for me - didn't even read most of it. But then, I'm not crafty.

Is it just me, or was this edition thinner? It seemed like there weren't many articles in this one.

I'm not sure if it is "kosher" to suggest this here, but I would sure love to see a special issue on choosing a school for your child: going public, Waldorf, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Sudbury/democratic, unschooling, homeschooling. Just one big issue on that.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#24 of 35 Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 PM

I had 3 that I really enjoyed: Crafty Mommas, Home is Where the Job Is, The High Cost of Autism

I am not very crafty but I aspire to be & it was a very inspirational article The other 2 I related to more because they are things I deal with IRL & so I always find comfort, inspiration, & support reading about others' experiences.

--lots of love from one busy momma of 4 & loving wife of 1--
#25 of 35 Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

I was so inspired by the Crafty Mama article! I never really had much confidence in my crafting abilities, but after reading that article I've been doing all kinds of crafty things including sewing/gluing a felt roadway map rug for my son's friend's birthday!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#26 of 35 Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 AM

The Crafty Mamas article was inspiring.
#27 of 35 Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 AM

"Home is where the job is"

I got this issue in the mail the day I was laid off. I left my office stunned that I had four weeks to figure out how to make ends meet for my family, and here is this message, that I can work from home and thrive. It was exactly the inspiration I needed: a voice telling me it was going to be okay, that we would make it, even in this economy, even with this news.

Thank you for giving me the courage to think "outside of the office" and to know that I can make my own path, on my own terms. For some of us, not working is not an option. But deciding how we work is still ours to do.
#28 of 35 Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 PM

I didn't get the most recent issue!! I know that I had a year long subscription and I started getting it in September (I think) When did this issue go out?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#29 of 35 Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
I feel like you guys are changing more and more. I wish I could understand why. I see to many fathers. I think that fathers are great BUT it is MOthering mag. My father is my father he was and is different then my mom. I want him that way.
I feel like I'm starting to miss the old mag.
#30 of 35 Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM

I really appreciated the attention paid to grassfed meat, eggs and dairy products in this issue. It is wonderful to be able to point people in the right direction on how to get these nutritious items in their diets while satisfying their consciences. I believe that diligently sourcing these products from sustainable producers is the better way to "go green" with our diets. Eating veg*n from a box does not send the right message, IMO, in the way that connecting with humanely raised animal products does. I'm so glad Mothering has dedicated some space to this issue and these wonderful producers, including Joel Salatin. ****

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page