What articles and features of Mothering issue #155 did you enjoy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #155 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Longing for Community 14 100.00%
Your Letters 13 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 8 72.73%
Art of Mothering: Show me How You Feel 23 100.00%
Vaccine Debate 69 100.00%
Varivax: More Harm Than Good? 31 100.00%
Breastfeeing in the Land of Genghis Khan 86 100.00%
Ways of Learning: River School 16 100.00%
Peggy's Kitchen: Beautiful Obento Boxes 33 100.00%
Cool Stuff: Strokes of Genuis 6 54.55%
Living Treasure: Suzanne Arms 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 41 Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really loved the Breastfeeding article, too. It has become a running joke in our household

I second a previous poster in that I wish there were more articles about older children. My baby is still only a year old but I like to be prepared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

This was my first time reading the magazine. I LOVED it! My favorite article was definitely "Breastfeeding in the Land of..." Part of the reason I liked this article so much was because at my first ultrasound visit to determine how far along I was I handed the magazine to my husband. He flipped through the entire thing skimming and looking at ads. BUT when he got to this article he paused...and read the WHOLE thing! And proceeded to tell me when prompted, that he found it really interesting! That night I went home and bought my subscription and today I just finally signed up for MotheringDotCommunity. Absolutely in love! Thank you so much! :

xo

Wysteria

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#33 of 41 Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM

this was my first issue of mothering, and there wasn't a section that i didn't like!
I loved the breast feeding article and the vaccine article. The obento article was very interesting. i loved to see the creativity in those incredible lunch photos!
the Varivax spread was great. very informative. That might have been my favorite.
my only sadness lies in that i only get a new issue every two months! keep em coming!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#34 of 41 Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM

While I have no breastfeeding experience, I LOVED the the article about nursing in Mongolia. Very well written and I loved the "peek" into another culture. Keep up the great work.

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#35 of 41 Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the July-August 2009 issue #155 of Mothering Magazine.
I voted for O'Mara's "Longing for Community" because it really hit home for me.
https://www.mothering.com/longing-for-community

We live a very isolated existence, as much by choice as by circumstance, and feel the painful tinge of being alone or apart frequently. And we find that our isolation makes what few community connections we do have so much more valuable and meaningful, and rarely taken for granted as they are by many who live in the bustling 'burbs or especially the big city.

Sometimes, it seems as though the larger communities, constantly striving for togetherness, lose sight of the importance of the individual.

O'Mara beautifully reminds us to find and explore those communities that are closest to us.
#36 of 41 Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM

The breastfeeding article was so wonderful! As someone who just finished the very difficult first six weeks of nursing, it feels wonderful to have my choices so validated. What a beautiful story. I keep it in mind now when I am nursting in public.

This is by far the best issue of Mothering that I have read. Thank you.

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#37 of 41 Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM

I just absolutely LOVED the "Show me how you feel" article, and ofcourse the Mongolian Breastfeeding article. Both were really amazing!! The "Show me how you feel" story brought tears to my eyes. I have son who really struggles with talking about things that upset him, and this article gave me hope. Thank you!!

This issue was definitely one of my favoriteissues in a long time!

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#38 of 41 Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I really appreciated the Vaccine Debate article. We were sadly uninformed about vaccines when ds was born, and like many, we just assumed that they were there to protect us. Fortunately, we weren't stupid, though, and we refused in-hospital vaccines, vitamin K, and "eye goop". We waited for the Dr.'s office visits, though, and ds is currently "up-to-date" with his scheduled vaxes. This article really helped open my eyes to the dangers and, just as important to me, the falsities of the vaccine brow-beaters. We are now frantically researching each vaccine in order to make the best, most well-informed decisions (and arguments) at our ds's next Dr.'s visit. Thank you, Mothering.

Wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
since '98;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(former) Homeschooling, doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day;
Mom to
DSs:
06/10,
12/05, &
1/99 &
(3/15)
#39 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM

I simply adored the article on Breastfeeding in Mongolia!
Where I live in the US, there can be such a narrow view of things, and even though I co-run a breastfeeding and attachment parenting mother's group, even I need reminding of how "normal" and "healthy" breastfeeding is at times. Learning about this foreign culture and how they revere this precious and nourishing act was inspirational...and I felt charged up after reading it. PLEASE keep submitting stories like that! No matter how educated or liberated we are, it seems that at times, we need all the support and reassurance we can get to combat the insidiousness of mainstream media images and cultural expectations.

A grateful subscriber,
Annette
Long Island, New York

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#40 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM

this issue was really juicy on information that needed to know, my 2nd ds is going to have his 2mo dr apt soon, and im still new at the vax thing (i didnt know w/ my other son and he got stuck for every thing the first year except for chicken pox bc he had them at 8 mo but the dr argued w/ me on that one (lame)) any way, i was glued to the river story, i have only gotten to go rafting once as a camp counselor and have been longing for an other trip, i pray that some day id get to have an experience similar when my kids are older.

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

#41 of 41 Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 PM

When I bought this issue, I was expecting to love the vaccine article. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enthralled with breastfeeding in the land of Genghis khan. The "stick a boob in it" policy is what I've always felt led to do. It works ten times out of ten. I couldn't even tell you how to rock, walk, or shush an infant. I've never done it. Awesome article, thank you.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page