What articles and features of Mothering issue #155 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #155 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Longing for Community 14 100.00%
Your Letters 13 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 8 72.73%
Art of Mothering: Show me How You Feel 23 100.00%
Vaccine Debate 69 100.00%
Varivax: More Harm Than Good? 31 100.00%
Breastfeeing in the Land of Genghis Khan 86 100.00%
Ways of Learning: River School 16 100.00%
Peggy's Kitchen: Beautiful Obento Boxes 33 100.00%
Cool Stuff: Strokes of Genuis 6 54.55%
Living Treasure: Suzanne Arms 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 41 Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the July-August 2009 issue #155 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #155. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #155. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 PM

loved Loved the Community writing by Peggy; always love these essays...I have a perfect community within my own street. My children regularily play outside with the neighbours' children.
The Land of .... article was fabulous. I read it twice.
I also always love reading the letters.That's another example of the wider community.

Thank you 'Mothering' for being one of my sources of joy and comfort.

::::
Welsh Mummy to My long awaited beautiful boy and girl. Proud Wife of my best friend.
#3 of 41 Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I LOVED the breastfeeding story. Really helped reframe culture & breastfeeding for me. I shared it with my LLL group.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)

#4 of 41 Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM

while I was completely glued to the magazine for both the vaccine article and the chicken pox vaccine article, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED the breastfeeding article. LOVED it. by far the best article I have read anywhere. It will definitely stick with me. I can only imagine three women, two moms and a grandma, offering up their breasts in the manor that was described in the article. I wish I lived in an area that it was soooooooooooooo supportive of "extended" BFing and NIP!!!

:::::::
LOVED it!
#5 of 41 Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Like other posters, the standout article for me was the Mongolian Breastfeeding article.
Great fun to read.
#6 of 41 Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I liked the breastfeeding article - it was very interesting. But I thought the vaccine article was fantastic - it layed out in plain, simple language, with references what I've thought/known about for a long time, but what I've had problems conveying to much of my friends & family. My dad read it and thought it was a great article and its helped to allay some of his fears about us not vaccinating my children.
#7 of 41 Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM

I also LOVED the breasfeeding article. The writer was amazing. The imagery of mom and grandmom offering up their breasts at the first hint of upset from the nursling and the man offering his too... just, what a great atmosphere for nursing! I also loved thinking of people taking some of the pumping mom's milk from the office fridge!

the vaccine article was great because I feel like it is something that I could keep on my coffee(tea) table and refer friends/family to if they have questions about our stance on vaccines. It was really relevant and I apreciated the pro vaccine comments from doctors being revealed that the doctors had obvious conflicts of interest.

I have the digital subscription but plan to purchase a paper copy of this issue, i really loved these two articles that much.
#8 of 41 Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 AM

Breastfeeing in the Land of Genghis Khan was fantastic! I LOVED it!
#9 of 41 Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM

I haven't ever posted in this area and came here just to post how much I loved the Mongolian bfing article. Wow! I laughed outloud and keep chuckling to myself when I think of it. Also as a mom of a nursing 5.5 year old it made me want to move us to Mongolia. And I have discovered that her distraction technique works wonders when my 17 month old is doing something I would rather she didn't do. Wonder how that would go over at the local park?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#10 of 41 Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I liked the breastfeeding article - it was very interesting. But I thought the vaccine article was fantastic - it layed out in plain, simple language, with references what I've thought/known about for a long time, but what I've had problems conveying to much of my friends & family. My dad read it and thought it was a great article and its helped to allay some of his fears about us not vaccinating my children.
This all the way!

I adored the breastfeeding article... but the vaccine one hit such a nail on the head....I struggle to explain to my family, and my own dr why i choose not to vaccinate my child...I don't speak the best and I am very non confrontational so this article says it all and I can show this article to all those people who try and convince me otherwise to inject things into my daughter!

Monica:
dd (9-25-08)
#11 of 41 Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 PM

While, like PPs, I enjoyed the Breastfeeding in Mongolia article, the Vaccine Debate article was tops for me. I think I'm fairly educated on the topic, but I LOVED all the research the author did and all of the many perspectives reflected.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#12 of 41 Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM

I have not finished the vaccine article but I really wanted to know if there are some current threads discussing this. I looked and couldn't find any, but I've also been multitasking and could have easily missed them.

I really liked River School-- and I needed some of the reminders in Art of Mothering: Show me How You Feel but Peggy's letter was tops this month.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#13 of 41 Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM

This story touched me on so many levels. As a mother of an extended nurser, it's been tough to deal with the North American criticism. I find myself hesitant to feed my son in public because the negativity that is usually thrown in my direction is heartbreaking. Reading how beloved breastmilk and the breastfeeding relationship made me feel empowered, and made me realize that there is nothing wrong with my nursing relationship; there is something wrong with what our society now perceives as natural and normal. Thank you for such an inspiring article!
#14 of 41 Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 PM

The Breastfeeding article really touched a chord with me. It reminded me of my own culture and how it used to be like that. It made me sad because of how much it is changing and how many women are not breastfeeding longer than a week or two (if at all) to catch up with this modern world. I long for the normalcy that was in the article regarding nursing kids in public, especially older ones. Breastmilk is special and children should be encouraged to nuse as long as they need to, not seen as freaks or spoiled. This article made me happy for their experiences but sad for our own.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#15 of 41 Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM

The breastfeeding in mongolia article was AWESOME. I read parts of it aloud to my husband and mother and step-father. It was funny and interesting. I just love anything that puts an anthropological perspective on things in our culture. Just wonderful.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#16 of 41 Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I've been really inspired by the article on obento! For the last 18 months, my husband has had custody of his son, who is a pickier eater than my other kids, so I always like discovering *healthy* things he will be excited to have in his lunch box. He's into cartoon characters, origami and all sorts of *little* things and I think obento will really appeal to him. I can't imagine the superhuman moms who find the time to do it every day, but this school year it will be my goal to have Bento Mondays, and to pay more attention to presentation in lunches throughout the week. As if to affirm my new interest, yesterday in the clearance aisle of Target (for next to nothing!) I found colorful, divided lunch boxes with snap-in utensils that were meant for picnics, but should work nicely for obento. I bought one for each kid. Thanks for the great idea!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... twin sons:

(HS seniors) ... step-son: 
 (a sophomore) ... our little man: 
  (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#17 of 41 Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM

I l:ved the Mongolian breastfeeding story, and think about it everytime I feed my son. Breastfeeding for me was pretty hard especially with my first child, and most of my support was to stop and give the baby the bottle. Too bad we can't transplant some good breastfeeding culture over here!
#18 of 41 Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I enjoyed the breastfeeding article as well as the vaccine Debate/Varivax article.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#19 of 41 Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM

This issue came at a very opportune time- We have just begun reading about and researching vaccines and the diseases they prevent, so the vaccination article was especially helpful for me.

The Breastfeeding article was great too- so positive, I loved it.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#20 of 41 Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 AM

I don't know what it is lately, but I seem to really enjoy every other issue of Mothering. I loved this issue, but the last one I couldn't really get into, and then the one before that I loved as well.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#21 of 41 Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 AM

The Mongolian Breastfeeding article meant a lot to me. Very dearly. I also liked the "Show Me How You Feel" article. All very functional and peaceful lifestyles. I need to be surrounded by these positive things very much right now and always.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#22 of 41 Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 AM

My husband is not a reader. We haven't vaccinated our children, I did all the research and he deferred to me on that, wise man that he is. I had left my current issue of Mothering on his desk totally by accident with the other mail and he read the entire vaccination section. It really helped him solidify in his mind why we weren't doing vaccinations. So thank you Mothering for coming through again!:

Allgirls
#23 of 41 Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 AM

One thing that stuck out to me about the vaccine article is how well everything was cited and backed up. It drives my partner crazy when he's reading an article and statements are not cited, so I know that he will enjoy reading it as well (I don't have it to show it to him quite yet, I read it at the library). It also makes the scare tactics employed by the media seem that much more silly, because they rarely cite anything when they do that.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#24 of 41 Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 PM

: Loved the Breastfeeding article. My mom cracked up when I told her about the generational boob game. I like the Vaccination article as well. I live in an area where almost everyone vaxes, so it was nice to be able to put this issue on the magazine stand and hopefully open a few minds. Thank you Mothering!

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#25 of 41 Old 08-01-2009, 02:43 AM

This was my favourite Mothering issue ever!
I absolutely loved the breastfeeding story Breastfeeing in the Land of Genghis Khan.
Thank you!

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#26 of 41 Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM

I loved the BFing in Mongolia article. Someone should REALLY do a film about that -- how inspiring it would be to me immersed for an hour or two in such a nursing-supportive culture! And how fascinating and mind-blowing! I wish I knew who to suggest this to!!
#27 of 41 Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM

I always love everything in Mothering, but two articles were very timely for me this month. The vaccine article was heaven-sent, because I just went through an ordeal with a physician over a school health exam where he told me that my son was a danger to other children because he is not vaccinated. I know that's total bunk, but it was so nice to receive validation in print and with citations to back me up.

The Obento lunch article was also very timely as my high-school daughter is the secretary of the Anime club at her school and very into everything Anime/Japanese. She read the article and is now very inspired to create her own Obento lunch boxes and we are searching for just the right box now.

Thank you Mothering!

(I also loved the breastfeeding in Mongolia article!)
#28 of 41 Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 AM

I am not a subscriber currently. The main reason I bought the issue was the obento article--my 11yo and I loved it! The second article that caught my eye was about breastfeeding in Mongolia. Thirdly, I thought the main vaccine article was well-written, although vaccines are not a huge issue of interest for me.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#29 of 41 Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

I have come to the sad conclusion that I have outgrown Mothering Magazine. I have been a devoted subscriber for 18 years. 2 years ago was the first time I hesitated when it came time to renew, but I am such a fan that I wanted to continue to support the magazine...and I knew I would miss seeing it in my mailbox each month. So, I renewed for 2 more years. Well, two years have passed and I got my renewal notice the other day. My kids are now 18, 15 and 12...I don't find much pertaining to my parenting experience in the magazine anymore. I can't believe I feel such an attachment to a publication, but I do. Mothering has seen me through the tough and wonderful moments of parenting young children...sometimes my only support for the choices dh and I made along the way. It will still be my "new mom gift"...I always give a subscription to anyone who announces a pregnancy/adoption. Maybe I am sad because it symbolizes the end of an era for me...my babies are truly no longer babies. Articles about diapering and breastfeeding just don't apply anymore.

Ah well, hopefully in ten years or so I can come back to it so I will be an up-to-date Grandma!
#30 of 41 Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 AM

The Mongolian Breastfeeding article came a day after I shocked a fellow LLL member with tales of nursing my toddler topless at home, and renewed my confidence in breastfeeding in whatever way works for my family. It also made me jealous. Wouldn't it be fun to just wave milk at my baby for a distraction! : Also, in a society where some folks pay big bucks for powdered and encapsulated cow's colostrum, wouldn't it be fantastic to simply share a little mama's milk? I was so excited by this article that I immediately passed it on to a LLL leader friend, after telling my mom all about it.

The Vaccine article was really beautifully put together. The references are an important part, and I appreciated how the pull-quotes shaded slowly from pro-vax to anti-vax as the article progressed. Subtle.

And for the first time, I found the merchandise spread useful, probably because I have been actively searching for stainless steel containers and alternative first aid kits this year. Usually that feature strikes me as distressingly consumerist.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page