What articles and features of Mothering issue #156 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #156 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Does it Hurt? 17 100.00%
Your Letters 6 40.00%
Voices from MotheringDotCommunity 0 0%
What's Kickin'? 1 6.67%
Your Sustainable Shower 5 33.33%
Man of the Birth Hour 16 100.00%
A Walk in the Park 9 60.00%
Twin Souls 25 100.00%
Home Alone 14 93.33%
If at First You Don't Succeed 7 46.67%
Mamadance! 5 33.33%
The At-Home Ice-Cream Factory 7 46.67%
The Road to Motherhood 5 33.33%
Strokes of Genuis 3 20.00%
Living Treasure: Gail Root 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 29 Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the September-October 2009 issue #156 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #156. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #156. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the July-August 2009 issue
I think that's a typo

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#3 of 29 Old 09-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
None of the stores around me are carrying the new issue (Sept.-Oct. 2009). I'm in Vermont. Is there any explanation for the hold up?

TIA

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#4 of 29 Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywan View Post
None of the stores around me are carrying the new issue (Sept.-Oct. 2009). I'm in Vermont. Is there any explanation for the hold up?

TIA
I didn't get my issue in the mail until today. Which is very, very late. I think they are running way behind for this issue. They were a little behind on the last issue too.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#5 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 AM

I LOVED the birth stories.
I've found that I shouldn't read them before bed because I'll end up lying there watching my baby sleep and not want to close my eyes.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#6 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
I didn't get my issue in the mail until today. Which is very, very late. I think they are running way behind for this issue. They were a little behind on the last issue too.
Ah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the info!

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#7 of 29 Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Bel

I haven't received our copy yet, but I'm going to say Man of the Birth Hour because my husband wrote it. He wrote it over a year ago when my friend was looking for homebirth stories from men. So excited it finally got published!
#8 of 29 Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM

I voted for a "A Quiet Place: Does it Hurt?" But I was torn between that and "Twin Souls." I also really enjoyed "Man of the Birth Hour" and the ice cream recipes (can't wait to make some). I really like this issue. I just got it today and have already read most of it.

Oh, and reading all of the birth stories made me want to TTC again!

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#9 of 29 Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

I dream of having a home waterbirth, but my partner isn't so sure. I get Mothering electronically, but I bought a paper copy yesterday just so that my partner could read "Man of the Birth Hour"!

I know what having a homebirth would mean to ME and to our baby, but I hadn't really even thought about the benefits for HIM as well! The article was very well-written, and I'm hoping that it will hit home for him.

Bel, please thank your husband for his wonderful contribution!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#10 of 29 Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM

If at First you Don't Succeed really touched me because it was so similar to the start of breastfeeding with my DS. In fact it was late one night in tears over our BFing struggles that I stumbled onto Mothering for the first time, how I didn't know about this magazine and website before I will never know, but it and LLL saved us!

I also liked the hombirth for dad's article (cannot remember the exact name). I am really leaning towards a homebirth for any future child, but I know DH has reservations. He read it and seemed to really be thoughtful about what he read.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#11 of 29 Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Anyone else not receive theirs yet? I am a new subscriber and this would have been my first issue. Not sure if there's something wrong with my subscription or not.

Mom to DD 10 and DS 8.
#12 of 29 Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM

I love twin souls...lol. But of course, I am the mama.

I also really loved the breastfeeding article. I thought that it was well written and the pictures were lovely.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#13 of 29 Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM

HB, did you go by DoulaSarah? Am I getting your name mixed up? I got so excited because i remember you from my 4th baby's DDC (August, 2008).

Anyway, i loved your story back then and your pics, and it is definitely wonderful to see such a beautiful article come from this community!
Back then, I was 15 days late w/ my 3rd homebirth and I was getting worried ; I felt if you could do it with no doubts, so could I!

blessings to your family,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#14 of 29 Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 PM

I was DoulaSarah for a long time. I changed it though, because I am on my way to becoming a midwife and I homebirth...so I thought that "homebirting" was a good one!

The other story I really liked in this magazine was the breastfeeding one, as I stated before. I really like that it shows how struggles can be overcome.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#15 of 29 Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 PM

i have not got mine yet either. although I am in canada.
#16 of 29 Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also have not gotten mine. I assumed it is either because I live in Hawaii or because the last one was also late. I can't wait to get it and read the birth stories!

Mama to a bright 7 y/o girl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and an exuberant 3 y/o boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Loving unschooling, 2x

and natural living in Hawaii.
#17 of 29 Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 AM

I read the latest Mothering issue at the library today, and I must say I was enamored with Peggy O'Mara's "A Quiet Place: Does it Hurt?". It made me wish I could run home and give birth right that second! Very empowering.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#18 of 29 Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 PM

I really enjoyed this issue. I've been a little unimpressed with the magazine lately because it seems like there are a few short articles, one bigger one and loads of ads but this issue seemed to have more substance.
Ofcourse I just had a baby so the birth stories were so great to read.
I voted for a walk in the park but i loved all the birth stories. And really everything.
With my first child the single most important preparation I did to have a really blissful birth was reading the birth stories in Ina May Gaskins book. So I was thinking after reading this issue that Mothering should put out a whole book of birth stories. Since most of us don't have the chance to see women giving birth, reading these stories gives us the knowledge that everything is going to be ok when we give birth, they really empower us to feel like we know what's going on
#19 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM

I too have been feeling a little disappointed with the number of articles to the number of ads, but I really enjoyed this issue. I was very happy to see an unassisted childbirth story published.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
#20 of 29 Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM

I loved "Man of the Birth Hour."

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#21 of 29 Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM

it's october and I still haven't gotten mine
#22 of 29 Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Mine just arrived a few days ago. I loved the ice cream recipes. I try to be vegan but ice cream is my downfall. So many delicious, dairy free recipes are inspiring!

Mom to DD 10 and DS 8.
#23 of 29 Old 10-03-2009, 01:33 PM

I can't wait to try the dairy free ice cream recipes! I put my canister in the freezer yesterday

I LOVED the birth stories and I really liked the breastfeeding one, however I was disappointed that it didn't mention there are alternatives to bottles. I went through breastfeeding hell for the first few weeks, and almost just went to forever pumping and bottle feeding because there seemed to be no hope (dd was unable to transfer at all and lost 2 pounds in 5 days). The author makes it sound like nipple confusion (or nipple preference) isn't real and while it's fantastic that it worked out for her, I don't think it would for everyone (I have a sil that it didn't). I pumped for nearly a month and fed dd with a syringe because I was scared of it, and before we figured out she was tongue tied and had it clipped (which completely took care of the problem). The article just made it seem like it's always such as easy thing to fix. But I am glad that it showed it doesn't always work perfect and that you can still successfully breastfeed!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#24 of 29 Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 AM

At first I was disappointed because it was mostly pregnancy and I do not plan on ever being pregnant again but my best friend and her wife plan on getting married so I am mailing it to her in hopes that it will open her up to attached parenting. she is just so excited about having a baby that she has no idea what to do once the little one arrives.

Jenn- Geeky momma to one fabulous Tiny Diva (10/27/08)
#25 of 29 Old 10-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Another vote for the ice cream recipies here. I can't help it, it's my sweet tooth vice! :-)
#26 of 29 Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
plantmama i love the idea of a birth stories book put out from mothering. I would contribute to it and buy it.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#27 of 29 Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 AM

I loved, loved, loved the Mamadance! article. Several years ago I taught belly-dancing classes to women, mostly mamas in difficult family situations, who desperately needed time and space to feel free and beautiful and affirmed. Belly dance was a way that they could express their own sexuality and physicality with joy. Some nights everyone laughed for sheer fun, some nights we wept our way through healing trauma and fear. It was an amazing, powerful journey for me then - a young woman without children - and now as a new mama, this article inspires me to seek out a place to start dancing once again. Thank you for reminding me to ask myself every day, "did I dance today?"

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#28 of 29 Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 PM

I loved the Unassisted Birth story Home Alone. It felt so amazing to pick up the September/October copy of Mothering that is so close to my heart and read an inspiring UC birth that is even closer to me. I was thrilled.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#29 of 29 Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I loved the "Does it Hurt?" article and sent it to my friend who is due in a month or so.

I really felt impowered at my birth, and was able to work through the pain and realized it was the fear that was painful. Once I worked through the fear, I had a wonderful birth without drugs. Having a doula really helped me face my fears and said the right things at the right time.

Thank you for giving women courage to have faith in their bodies. Our baby does.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page