What articles and features of Mothering issue #157 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #157 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Killer Fear 13 92.86%
Your Letters 11 78.57%
Voices from MotheringDotCommunity 5 35.71%
What's Kickin' 3 21.43%
Art of Mothering: And Baby Makes Four 21 100.00%
Sustainable Seasons Greetings 14 100.00%
The Holiday Tree 6 42.86%
25 Earth-Wise to Celebrate Advent 11 78.57%
Three Generations, One Roof 24 100.00%
Small House, Big Life 19 100.00%
Breastfeeding: Mothers' Special Blend 12 85.71%
Ways of Learning: Raising Intuition 14 100.00%
Cool Stuff: Holiday Toys, Naturally 12 85.71%
Our Gift to You 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 15 Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the November-December 2009 issue #157 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #157. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #157. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And Baby Makes Four was excellent. I sat on the couch to read this issue, nursing my 4-month old and watching my 3-year old play on the floor with his daddy. I started reading this piece and couldn't stop. It literally gave me goosebumps. It was like warm hug from a friend who knew exactly what I've been going through. Everyone had always told me that the second child is "a breeze", and that may be for some... but adjusting to having two children was not a breeze for me.

For almost 3 years, my days were spent with just my son. When his brother arrived, I felt incredibly guilty for not giving him as much attention. Then of course I felt guilty that I didn't have the hours on end to lovingly stare, uninterrupted, at my newborn. I thought my relationship with my older son was going to change for good, and in many ways it has. I've tried to remind myself of my midwife's words "a sibling is the best gift you can give your child", while picturing the two of them growing up together. But those first few weeks, and even months... were very hard. There were many times when all 3 of us were crying at once. I just didn't have enough hands or energy to do it all.

Things are getting better now, and just like the author describes, those moments when big brother and baby laugh at each other are absolutely priceless. Thank you for publishing this article, which really "tells it like it is". I will be saving this to pass along to another mom who is expecting #2.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#3 of 15 Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM

I loved the and baby makes 4 article! I remember going thru the same issue when my dd2 Maggie came home from the nicu! Thanks for making me think of old times!

Very good issue this time!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

#4 of 15 Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I really enjoyed Killer Fear.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!
#5 of 15 Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"And Baby Makes Four" moved me to go to mothering.com to look for the possibility of ordering reprints. I want to give them out to my friends who are expecting a second baby. It's silly, but somehow seeing my own struggles right there in print seemed to legitimize my exhaustion and anxiety and overall difficulty with the transition to my life with two little ones. Thank you for that.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 
DS1, 8 years.  DS2, 6 years.  DS3, 2 years. DD1, due April 2015

#6 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Loved the small house article. We live in a small house, and I agreed with everyting that the author said. Thanks!

Also, the gift ideas were great. We plan on getting DS one of the dolls listed

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#7 of 15 Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 PM

And baby makes 4 had me in tears! It felt great to hear someone say all the feelings I had/sometimes still have to managing two!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#8 of 15 Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM

"And Baby Makes 4" was a great article. I am due in January with our second child. I love my time with my ds and the article really resonated with the emotions I have about our second child. Thank you for your perfect timing of this article!

~ Dune Lover
#9 of 15 Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 PM

I love the ideas with a preschooler at home and one going to be home during the xmas break any idea to decorate their tree and keep them busy is wonderful. I also like the fact that making their own decorations will help them recycle some of the stuff we have in our house or we find. Thanks for all the helpful stuff that you provide for moms that just need that extra help.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#10 of 15 Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM

"And Baby Makes Four" couldn't have come at a better time for me. We are expecting our second child in March and I was struck by how sad I was to be loosing my one-on-one relationship with my first born.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#11 of 15 Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM

A couple weeks ago my infant daughter was diagnosed with some serious health issues. One morning I was a wreck, having to face another trip to the hospital lab for a blood draw from her tiny arm was more than I could handle. I tore Killer Fear from the magazine so I could read the Dune quote to myself in the waiting room. That folded piece of paper in my pocket gave me courage and solace. Thank you.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#12 of 15 Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM

"And Baby Makes Four" was so awesome that I have read it twice already and don't want to put my issue away because I want to read it more. We are about to start TTC #2 and I have so many worries about losing my bond with DS, and how his life will change, and our lives, etc., etc. This article was so helpful to me! I'm sure I will read it many more times in the coming months!
#13 of 15 Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 AM

And Baby Makes Four had me in tears. I have a two year old and almost four month old and the article articulated everything that i've been thinking and feeling, even from the moment i found out i was pregnant almost a year ago. i had guilt over weaning my still nursing daughter at about 18 months, but felt i couldn't go on nursing her, to struggling with who to attend to when both need me and how to get them both to sleep at night and all the things that i had to learn to do (and am still learning). i seem to always be feeling that i am neglecting at least one of my children, and if not one of them, then my husband and most definitely myself.

the article helped me feel less alone. i sent it to a friend who's expecting her second.

SAHM to DD1 (9/07) ; and DD2 (08/09) . |
#14 of 15 Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM

I like the article with the title "Small House, Big Life". The title intrigues me. We do have a small house and big family. It really hits me.
#15 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM

I was so moved by the Ring of Fire memoir in this month's issue. The movement from learning about giving birth to the transforming power of giving oneself over to the transformation of birth was beautifully described. I wish material like this was given to every new mama to be....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page