What articles and features of Mothering issue #162 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue #162 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: The Examined Life 10 83.33%
Your Letters 13 100.00%
What's Kickin'? News you won't get anywhere else 5 41.67%
The Art of Mothering: There's a New Dad in Town 20 100.00%
Candy Experiments 8 66.67%
Do it Yourself Birth 31 100.00%
What about complications? Unassisted laborers share their experiences 21 100.00%
Name That Baby! 3 25.00%
Breastfeeding Beats the Blues 25 100.00%
If a Mom You Know is Depressed 9 75.00%
Protein Power for Pregnancy 12 100.00%
Strokes of Genius 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 19 Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the September-October 2010 issue #162 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #162. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue #162. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Two things

1-I miss Living Treasure I always go to that part first and I miss it.

2-I hope someone tells Victoria Chisholm about the great story you did on KANGAROO CARE.
#3 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM

Mom to a 2.5 girlie and a new one in late February/early March

#4 of 19 Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 AM

Not so patiently waiting....I can't wait for my first issue!!

Aileen, Mama to Hannah James, 4/01/07 Smartest kid I've ever known! And Gabriel Joseph, born at home 3-31-10!! Delaying and selectively vax'ing
#5 of 19 Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 AM

I shared the "New Dad in Town" article with DH and he liked it so much he brought it up in discussion with a friend of ours who is a new dad. I would love to read/share more articles that include men in the art of mothering!

Loved the short article on lesbian mamas, too.
#6 of 19 Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Wow! How is it that Mothering sometimes reads my mind, this has happened on 3 occasions, and they really stand out in my memory. With this issue it's a "Quiet Place", it's funny how little coincidences will happen in our lives, yet they mean so much!! I just resubscribed to Mothering, after being without it for about 9 month to a year. I also just switched my major in school to a double major of Philosophy and History, and in my History class right now I'm working on a project about Socrates, and I love his quote "The unexamined life is not worth living." Since I read this quote by him and have been reading about his philosophy, I can really relate to it (I'm actually thinking of getting that quote tattooed on me along with a bunch of other quotes that are very meaningful to me.) It was such a wonderful/funny coincidence, to me, that the first article I started to read was Peggy's article, and there's Socrates quote, along with an explanation of it, followed by a wonderful article that I can totally relate. This is the reason why I subscribe to Mothering, and why I'm now a supporting member of the Mothering Community. Thanks Mothering!!
impaz0330 likes this.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#7 of 19 Old 10-17-2010, 03:37 PM

I loved the Do It Yourself Birth, and the New Dad in Town. Both were well written and brought a smile to my face.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 19 Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What I *loved*--I actually gave this issue to our local LLL Leader so she could read the article on PPD. I really loved how it addressed helping the mother with OTHER THINGS like housework, the other kids, maybe watching the baby when baby is not hungry so mom can shower, things like that. It was *right on*, the FIRST thing most people do is tell the mom that it's OK to supplement or to quit breastfeeding. ABSOLUTELY should ask the MOM what SHE wants to do and help make that happen!

What I did *not* love.

I'm not anti-pumping WHEN NECESSARY...but I was very surprised to see an article IN MOTHERING where it's mentioned so that Dad can feed the baby too. Seriously?
My DH is an involved dad, even with his newborn babies. Other than helping me supplement with a dropper when I was working with DS2 on nursing, he has *never* fed one of our babies until they started solid food.
What DOES he do? He's changed diapers. He talks to them and gets them to smile and talk back. He knows what toys they like because he tries out different ones. He burps. He walks. He probably *could* do baths...however, one of MY favorite things to do is bathe with my little babies, so he sometimes gets the job of diapering and dressing while I quickly wash my hair.

And six months FLIES by...and then HE gets to do HIS favorite thing...which is introduce their first solid foods. One of the very first things he does is put them in that same position he's been talking to them in for months and squeeze grape juice into a little open, waiting mouth. THEN he holds the watermelon while they suck on it. etc etc etc.

There are LOTS of things dads can do BESIDES feed the newborn. And, like I said, six months FLIES by!

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
one girlie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

multigenerational living family!!
#9 of 19 Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
I'm not anti-pumping WHEN NECESSARY...but I was very surprised to see an article IN MOTHERING where it's mentioned so that Dad can feed the baby too. Seriously?
My DH is an involved dad, even with his newborn babies. Other than helping me supplement with a dropper when I was working with DS2 on nursing, he has *never* fed one of our babies until they started solid food.
What DOES he do? He's changed diapers. He talks to them and gets them to smile and talk back. He knows what toys they like because he tries out different ones. He burps. He walks. He probably *could* do baths...however, one of MY favorite things to do is bathe with my little babies, so he sometimes gets the job of diapering and dressing while I quickly wash my hair.

And six months FLIES by...and then HE gets to do HIS favorite thing...which is introduce their first solid foods. One of the very first things he does is put them in that same position he's been talking to them in for months and squeeze grape juice into a little open, waiting mouth. THEN he holds the watermelon while they suck on it. etc etc etc.

There are LOTS of things dads can do BESIDES feed the newborn. And, like I said, six months FLIES by!
I couldn't agree more about the pumping thing. I was actually quite saddened because I read in other parenting magazines all the time this idea of pumping *just* so that someone besides mom can feed the baby. I have a very supportive, engaged DH as well who does a ton with our babies. But he's never fed them before 6 months (or whenever they start solids - it's varied). What he *does* do is support *me* in my exclusive breastfeeding relationship! He brings the baby to me, gets me water, boppy, nursing stool, etc. And he gives me LOTS of encouragement when I'm dealing with cracked nipples or fatigue or mastitis and want to throw in the towel.

Is there no one who's supporting mamas as the *only* one feeding baby before solids?? Is that really such an outdated, extreme position? :\

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#10 of 19 Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 PM

I loved the New Dad In Town article! I read it to my husband and we talked about it for a while. He said that he has even caught himself saying he's going to be babysitting his kid. Even though he knows that's not what he's doing. Great to see dads making a difference in their baby's lives! Go dads go!!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#11 of 19 Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Thank you so much for the article "Breastfeeding Beats the Blues".... This is just the article I needed to restore my spirit after 4.5 months of severe colic/difficulty breastfeeding. Instead of being met with loving support, I have been told by those closest to me that I should start formula feeding or that something I'm eating (though I've already cut out the most common allergens) is affecting my breastmilk and therefore my baby. This is my second baby and I nursed my first successfully for 15 months. I feel very strongly about breastfeeding and it's benefits to babies AND mothers. This article made me feel confident again that I AM doing what is best for my baby and myself. Thank you!!

The recipie for Coconut Carrot soup was DIVINE!! I've made if for a few people and they are absoluetly in love with it! What an amazing fall soup!

#12 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 AM

I still haven't received my sept-oct issue and it' november!
#13 of 19 Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It was refreshing to see unassisted childbirth uplifted from the dark recesses of our culture and brought to light in the pages of your magazine.  When I realized my homebirth midwife and I did not agree on labor protocols my husband and I decided to have a UC.  My family, however, was extremely unsupportive.  We ended up doing what I call an "in between UC" where a birth professional was in another room just in case.  Reading "Do It Yourself Birth" brought back so many emotions surrounding our original decision to do a UC and my family's reaction.  It was refreshing to see my own thoughts mirrored in Margulis' words and the quotes from UCer's and supportive midwives.  Uncomplicated birth is not lucky, it's normal and birthing unhindered is life changing.  I am saddened that our fearful birth culture is robbing women of this transcendent experience and is instead inflicting higher and higher rates of complication and intervention. I hope this article inspires more women to take charge of their births and causes midwives and OB's to question their routine procedures.  As for me, I plan to send a copy to my family.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#14 of 19 Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM

I was a little frustrated that this was the pregnancy and birth issue and so much space was given to UC. There are so many other choices/options available to women who want a natural childbirth that it would have been nice to see those other options in there. I imagined that a new expectant mother would not have gotten very well informed by this issue at all.

Way to go on the breastfeeding/PPD article.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#15 of 19 Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 AM

I love Mothering Magazine but sometimes I think you need a little balance. Science and technology are not all bad. Some people are going to have a "Do-it yourself birth" and that is fine but not all births are fairy tales. I gave birth in a hospital, induced two weeks past my due date. I gave birth with my husband, mother, and my midwife and her student assistant present. I had no drugs or other interventions during labor. The midwife saw the amount of meconium in my amniotic fluid when my water broke and quietly got the neonatologist ready to assist if needed. My daughter's meconium aspiration syndrome was so bad that she might have died had we not been at that particular hospital (the regional NICU center). My midwife knew have the neonatologist on deck, the neonatologist saved my daughter's life with machines and science. In fact, 20 years ago the equipment that saved her didn't even exist. After 10 days in the NICU, my daughter finally got to come home. This breast feeding, co-sleeping, organic eating mommy was happy to have had the benefit of experience and research supporting her for this birth.
miss_honeyb likes this.
#16 of 19 Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM

I haven't finished reading the whole magazine yet, but I have definitely enjoyed reading a "A Quiet Place" and "DIY Birth". I really identified with a "Quiet Place," my whole family on my mother's side, (grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, cousins) have practiced Naturopathic medicine and all things holistic for over 40 years; we're used to being a minority, we accept it. Personally, I've been very open about my desire to use a midwife, to use organic products, to not drink a single drop of alcohol or coffee, to use cloth diapers, etc etc. I always feel a little saddened when people I know say things like "a glass of wine now and then is ok!" or that using cloth diapers is "expensive".  Of course, I will do what I feel is best for me and my baby, regardless of what other people say. As for where baby will sleep, baby'll be with me while I'm feeding and in the crib next to our bed some of the time, I have a strong suspicion I'll want my baby with me all the time for the first few months, even if it means little sleep. The babies in my family have always slept with the adults and all of them/us are fine! It was heartening to read the article, it helps to remind me I'm not alone in my mind-set.

#17 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM

I loved the article "Do It Yourself Birth" by Jennifer Margulis. I thought that it was written in a very informative, but not too in-your-face way. Maybe it will plant a seed for some women out there who feel called to take more responsibility for their own pregnancies and births. Sharing that very personal journey was a gift to Mothering readers. Thank you, Jennifer! I also really loved the article "Breastfeeding Beats the Blues". The information provided was really groundbreaking, and I wish that it could be made required reading for any health professional who works with women who are dealing with postpartum depression. This is an issue that I know I will refer back to for years to come.

I'd also like to add a response to a couple of comments above. There are plenty of magazines out there who represent the medicalized, fear-based model of childbirth prevalent in mainstream America. To me, Mothering Magazine and MDC are here to provide community, information, and entertainment to those of us who choose to parent and live in a more natural way, and to educate those who are interested in learning more about how to do that. As a mother, a midwife, and the UC birther of a baby who might have died if he was born in the hospital, I appreciate Mothering so very much.

impaz0330 likes this.
#18 of 19 Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM

I honestly enjoy every little bit of the magazine.  As I was (impatiently) waiting for the last two issues of Mothering magazine to arrive in my mailbox (and then figured out they came in digital format only) I went through all of the previous issues I had, paying special attention to this one.  "There's a new dad in town" was a very special article and I think it's very important more supporting dads speak out, and more moms share equal responsibility with their counterparts!  

I must have read "Do it yourself birth" about 5, 7 or 10 times!!!  My first (and only) labor experience was similar to Margulis's, and I strongly felt a connection to what she expresses in the article and the family's choice to "make it a family affair." 

"Breastfeeding beats the blues" was an amazing article but the first time I started reading it I couldn't finish... I was extremely saddened and outraged, I just couldn't keep reading, the tears and emotions were too much!  I did have the courage to finish reading while I was waiting for the printed issues... and I loved it!!  It also helped me to talk and help to other mamas in need of support of breastfeeding to "beat the blues" so Thank You!!

#19 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 AM

I like all the articles of this magazine..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page