Please Share Your Thoughts: Mothering Magazine's November/December 2010 (Issue #163) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which articles and features of Mothering issue #163 did you enjoy? You may choose more than one:
A Quiet Place: Keep the Channels Open 4 40.00%
Your Letters 2 20.00%
What's Kickin'? News You Won't Get Anywhere Else 2 20.00%
Art of Mothering: Managing Mama Rage 12 100.00%
A Child's World: Build an Emotionally Safe Home 6 60.00%
Sole Healing 2 20.00%
What I Did On My Summer Staycation 2 20.00%
Peggy's Kitchen: Food Makes a Family 4 40.00%
Cool Stuff: Close Your Eyes, Listen to the Skies 0 0%
Living Treasure: Dr. Victor Berman 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 8 Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering Magazine would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in our November-December 2010 issue #163. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #163. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other insight you might like to share about this issue. Thanks!

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting:
Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to host polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy O'Mara, Mothering's editor and publisher, will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity to express thoughts and opinions regarding the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue.

Please note:

This forum is only for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Only one post per member, per poll.

Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum. New threads will be deleted without notice.

Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat

Please do not quote or comment on another member's post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Thank you very much for your time and perspective!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM

I really loved both the "Mama Rage" article and the one about creating an "Emotionally Safe Home."

I was glad to get the tips on how to model good emotional coping skills in words a child can understand.

I also shared the articles with my DH.  

miss_honeyb likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I found "Managing Mama Rage" to be a very helpful and inspiring article.  Having just weathered a year of very difficult three year old behavior I have been in that dark, angry place too many times.  Growing up, anger in my house was handled with yelling or avoidant silence.  It seems when stressed, I fall into the yelling category.  I know this behavior is destructive to my relationship with my children and harmful to their emotional growth.  Anger management is definitely something I need to work on and this article was a great reminder of where to begin: just breathe.  Playful parenting is great when you are in a place where you can access silliness, but this past year has whipped my dragon into a frenzy that is too fierce for play at the moment.  When I feel that anger bubbling up next time, I plan to employ some of Freese's simple suggestions.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 8 Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM

This issue rocked my world. I wanted a subscription to mothering magazine for so many years and this past year was gifted with one. I've been a little disappointed and haven't gotten a lot of the issues... but this one spoke to me. It was very synchronistic with where I'm at right now. "A quiet place" was very inspirational and moved me to near tears, The reflexology article was fabulous and showed a chart better than any I've seen yet, and included aromatherapy uses for reflexology which is something I haven't found any info on but have been looking for. The article on an "Emotionally Safe Home" was so useful, I'm already applying these things. And I haven't read the rage article yet but I'm sure it will be useful as I need help in that area too.  Overall this issue took me further into my own truth, and helped me better myself on the things I'm dealing with and working on. Wonderful issue. I'm grateful, and excited for upcoming ones.  I like the other parts of it too - the letters, the recipes, even the toys, but the articles I mentioned above were exceptionally moving for me. 

#5 of 8 Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 PM

I've really enjoyed reading "Mama Rage" and the "Emotionally Safe Home" articles, very timely for me personally. I've tried some reflexology massage with my two year old and she loves it! I've devoured everything cover to cover, including the letters and ads! Thank you! :)

#6 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 PM

I cannot begin to thank you enough for the "Managing Mama Rage" article. I tend to anger quite easily and I'm very aware of this fact, yet I've never confronted my anger; I always hid it away and let it bottle up.

I had made a vow to myself that I would never yell at or in front of my daugther, but, just two days ago I broke my vow. In a fit of rage over a diaper changing conundrum I yelled a my sweet girl. I felt the worst mama guilt ever and couldn't sleep that night as I kept playing the scene out in my head. I even told my husband that I was scared I would do it again. Thankfully, I picked the latest issue at the library today and I read the article and realized I'm not alone. Tera offered some wonderful advice on dealing with and accepting the anger. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

#7 of 8 Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM

I my, ahem, totally unbiased opinion, I thought the picture of the little boy with the baby sling and power drill was pretty awesome. smile.gif

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and new mama to baby Arthur.
#8 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole issue---from cover to cover! 

I do have a question to discuss from the Mama Rage article.  I really liked the idea about creating a "nest" (even mentioned it casually to my DD today and she accepted the idea immediately).  Is there are thread already going on how to practically create this in a smaller home?

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page