Please Share Your Thoughts: Mothering Magazine's January/February 2011(Issue #164) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which Articles and Features of Mothering Issue #164 Did You Enjoy? You May Choose More Than One:
Straight Talk on the 100 Day Cough 2 18.18%
The Problem With Pertussis Vaccines 2 18.18%
A Quiet Place: Why We Need More Midwives Now 2 18.18%
Your Letters 1 9.09%
What's Kickin' 1 9.09%
Art of Mothering: The Good Enough Parent 5 45.45%
Caught in the Act of Mothering 4 36.36%
Peggy's Kitchen: Hot and Healthy Winter Drinks 1 9.09%
Cool Stuff: Full Steam Ahead 1 9.09%
Strokes of Genius 1 9.09%
Backstage: The Mothering Bunch 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mothering Magazine would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in our January/February issue (#164). Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue #164. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other insight you might like to share about this issue. Thanks!

NOTE: I asked the circulation department and the current print issue should be arriving in mailboxes soon. Digital issues should have already arrived in your email. Any subscription questions can be directed to [email protected] Thank you for your support! 

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting:

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to host polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy O'Mara, Mothering's editor and publisher, will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity to express thoughts and opinions regarding the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue.

Please note:

This forum is only for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Only one post per member, per poll.

Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum. New threads will be deleted without notice.

Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat

Please do not quote or comment on another member's post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Thank you very much for your time and perspective!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Although I need to add the caveat that Kyla and I are friends, I really enjoyed her article in this month's magazine.  Her self-efacing style that comes off without self-hating, her comedy about the love we all feel as mothers who wish we were our idealized selves just hits home and works for me.  I adore this article. 

youngspiritmom likes this.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello! I get the digital and the print version of Mothering, and usually wait until the print one arrives to read it because I like the feel of the paper in my hands. However, I couldn't resist browsing the digital copy and had a moment just now to read the article  "Good Enough Parent" by Kyla Hanington.

What a bit of truth! Thank you so much for publishing this, and thank you Kyla for your beautiful, honest, and funny writing. You made me so proud of my milk-stained t-shirts, dirty dishes, and the fact that sometimes I forget to wipe ketchup off my toddler's cheek after lunch and someone hours later in the grocery store asks "What's that on his face?"

We all would like to be perfect mothers. But, as my midwife said, it makes her happy to visit (new) mothers who are still in their pajamas in the afternoons, and have dishes in the sink, because it usually means that they have been doing the most important work -- focusing on their babies, making sure everyone is getting good nutrition, and good rest.

Reading this article made me want to be Kyla's friend. Coming across a mother so genuine via media is rare (not for Mothering mag, of course!).  I think that the unrealistic images of mothers not only appear in pages of mainstream preg/parenting magazines but also in so many of the blogs that are popular nowadays. Mommy Bloggers choose which pictures they post, how they describe themselves, and often can make even a meconium diaper seem somehow beautiful, artsy, or trendy!

Thank you for this article! Power to the milk-stained tee-shirt moms!

clap.gif

Mothering my two little boys the best that I can!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One more thing -- I thought it was awesome that one of your staff members wears a headscarf. I do too and seeing her pictured in "The Mothering Bunch" made me feel represented and included. hijab.gif

Mothering my two little boys the best that I can!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 9 Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM

I must first say that I love Mothering, I love MDC. I feel empowered when I am here or reading Mothering. I only receive the digital copy, but I really do enjoy the feel of the paper while I read.

I read the articles about pertusis and they are great. I have been trying to educate my dh that viruses and bacteria evolve when they are threatened. This has led to MRSA and others, and I believe it has made vaccination irrelevant. We don't vaccinate. I am not sure if we will in the future, but currently I don't see that happening. My children are healthy and happy. We have not had any VPDs to contend with, but when DD had RSV, I really expected someone to say "Should have vaxed." No one did, though. not to me.

Thanks for the great magazine.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#6 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM

I have been looking forward to this issue.  Just saw the 'status post' for Mothering on FB and see that mail subscribers won't be getting these issues, and they will only be available online? 

Could you please let those of us who are mail subscribers know how we can access our copies of the digital magazine since that's the format we get for the next couple issues?

I have loved Mothering since I found the magazine (and then these forums).  Best wishes as the way forward is found.  Don't forget that we have been Mothering Dot Commune for a long time - I know I'm not the only person who purchased a supporting membership because we value what you do so very much.  Let us know if we can help. 

ETA:  Link to the thread Mothering posted about the web-only switch, since that should probably be addressed in that thread rather than here.  https://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1297917/mothering-to-go-web-only

Not all who wander are lost.
#7 of 9 Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM

DSCN0322-1.JPG

Am I the only one that actually started crying when I read "A Quiet Place"?  

I know that times change, consumers change, and businesses must change along with them... but this feels like a death to me.

I will miss the arrival of my faithful friend in the mail, always full of sound, wholesome information & insights, as well as beautiful pictures.

I am not much of an online girl when it comes to surfing and FBing, but if this is to be my only avenue...I'll try.

I was fortunate enough to receive an entire box of vintage Mothering magazines from the 70s and 80s from a local Freecycler.  These, along with my own copies bought since I first discovered MM two years ago, will now be even more highly treasured.

Goodbye, fair friend.  I thank you for all your hard work and love, and I will do my best to fall in step with your new path.

Warm regards,

Lacey Brooker

Minneapolis

#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 PM

i am wondering how to get the digital one since i was a mail subscriber for both jan/feb and march/april.  thanks

#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

What about Kindle subscription? and Ipad?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page