What articles and features of Mothering issue 140 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 140 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Becoming Breastfeeding-Friendly 142 100.00%
Your Letters: Cloth Diapers, Gun Play, Adoption & Birth Mothers 87 100.00%
Bulletins: In Defense of Play. National Summit on Video Games, Kids and TTouch 49 100.00%
Babywearing Bliss 266 100.00%
You Want To Give Birth Where? 165 100.00%
Fumbling Toward Fatherhood 77 100.00%
A Dad Learns to Love Homebirth 149 100.00%
Warm Up with Savory Soups 114 100.00%
Art of Mothering: Breaking Free of Mother-Guilt 133 100.00%
Ways of Learning: Homeschooling for Black families 69 100.00%
Backstage: The Mothering Crew 25 100.00%
A Child's World: Freedom from FGM 123 100.00%
Cool Stuff: A Little Bird Told Me 32 100.00%
Strokes of Genius: Valentine's Day goodies to put you in the mood. 30 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 98 Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in Jan-Feb 2007 issue 140 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue 140. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 140. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 98 Old 01-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't got mine yet

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#3 of 98 Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just got mine and haven't read all of it yet. However I LOVED the babywearing section! Wow! I wish I had had something like that when my kids were babies. I'm going to save that issue to show expectant mama friends.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
I really adored the article on guilt, "Breaking Free of Mother Guilt". I personally have very little mother guilt personally, since I consider myself well-educated in my decisions regarding pregnancy/birth/parenting. However, as a midwifery student, these are issues that have and will continue to come up. I think it is an encouraging and helpful article for women who are suffering guilt, personal blame or insecurity about their experiences. The personal stories included make it very easy to understand and identifiable for all women. Also, it helps me as a (future) care provider to these women, as I am still working to move past my personal thoughts and ideals of what pregnancy, birth and mothering should be and into a more individual, less judgmental approach to connecting with these women.

And, as always, A Quiet Place. I love Peggy's writing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and brand new dd 07/23
#5 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 AM

My new subscription hasn't kicked in yet
And it was not available where i normally buy it ..... I'll have to come back and answer
#6 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 AM

I thought the babywearing was fantastic! Will pass along to mom friends who aren't familiar with all the styles.

I really enjoyed breaking free from motherhood guilt. I made choices I thought were informed at the time with ds1 and am so appreciative of what I've learned in parenting ds2.

I was thinking of letting my sub lapse but will renew after this issue.
Thanks!
#7 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM

I haven't read it, but I am interested in the soup recipes and the article on video games.

I don't get a sub anymore, and it is HARD to find Mothering where I live now on the stands.

Plus my sons are older, and most of the articles tend to be for new moms or moms with younger children.

When my babes were little, it was such a great help to me.

I will look for it when we go into the city this month. I am sure I am missing out on some great soup recipes.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#8 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 AM

This was my 1st issue. My mom gave me a subscription for Christmas. The article on FGM was very disturbing but in teh right way. So I can't say I enjoyed but it really moved me and makes me want to DO somehting.

On a lighter note..I can't wait to make those soups.

I want to lend out the baby wearing section out to my freind who is pregnant b/c it was informative but a little a late for me.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#9 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I liked what I've read so far, and voted accordingly.

The article on FGM was an extremely timely reminder. Dad gave me all the change from his desk during our visit last week, and I decided upon reading the article that it will all be donated to that cause. When I (simply) explained to DD what I was doing counting out piles of small change, she immediately agreed with my decision. We have decided between us that all of our future change collecting, which she has now contributed all her pennies to, will go towards this as well.

The mommy guilt article was well done too. Better late than never, considering the number of letters I've seen over the years from moms upset and feeling excluded by the sometimes single-mindedness of this organization on certain issues.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 AM

I *loved* the babywearing article. I also liked the one on FGM. Very important topic. NAK

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#11 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 AM

bwahahahaha! i JUST picked up the nov/dec issue about 2 days ago! i always manage to buy it right before the next comes out!
#12 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 AM

I don't have a subscription anymore, but thanks a lot for tempting me. Those articles sound really interesting (and relevant to me). Neato.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#13 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Haven't read it yet but can I just say that I am THRILLED to see a guy on the cover!!!

I do request however that some things for toddler age plus would be more frequent in there.... My daughter is past much of the little age stuff so it deters me from buying the magazine. Not much really for me to use.

GREAT MOM to dd (5), dd (1) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]. Married to a Navy Veteran!
#14 of 98 Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I devour every issue and wish that every mom in the world had access in your mag. Loved the baby wearing article, you taught this old dog some new tricks!

Happy mama to three DD's age 13
, age 10.5
, age 8
and DS, born January 6
#15 of 98 Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My mom got me a sub for Christmas and I haven't gotten it yet. Should it be starting with this issue?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
  11yo dd
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#16 of 98 Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 AM

OK, I just got mine and I haven't read any of the articles yet, just flipped through it quickly and am going to read it in bed shortly.

I must say, it's really cool to have a subscription. (This is my first issue I've gotten in the mail, although I've been reading it for many years.) I see that the previous issue (which I got like three months ago or something) is still on the magazine stand at the health food store where I had been getting them before, and I have the new one already so that's a big plus right there. Plus, it would probably be a while or so before I noticed the new issue was on the rack, but definitely they still have the previous one up, and I have the new one (January/February with the dad wearing a baby on the front).

I'll come back and vote on the poll later or tomorrow after I've actually read the magazine.
#17 of 98 Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Still waiting for mine . . . I really had my hopes up when the mailman came this afternoon, too. *sigh*

A, wife to R, mom to 3 boys
and welcoming a baby girl in May 2015
#18 of 98 Old 01-05-2007, 02:58 PM

I am very interested in TTouch--has anyone tried this? I had never heard of it before but I think it's a great idea.
I also loved the homebirth article- it sounded a lot like our current situation

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#19 of 98 Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM

haven't read the whole thing yet...

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#20 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 05:21 AM

I loved the picture on the front.

I enjoyed the article on FGM. It was factual and in-your-face while being understanding of hang-ups we might have about the issue.

I loved the babywearing article-and the side articles (especially about the amautik). It covered the basics and included tips and tricks that may not be common knowledge.

But my favorite thing, the thing that kept me from cancelling my subscription after last issue's letter by Peggy about cloth diapering, was the one, single, letter to the editor about EC. It was only one letter, and it was the ONLY mention I've seen of EC in the magazine ever-even though it is obviously the best choice for the environment when it comes to elimination-but it was, finally, an acknowledgment that we, the mothers who use EC, do exist. And I appreciated that.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#21 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 11:24 AM

dh made the coconut soup last night and it was excellent!
#22 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
I really adored the article on guilt, "Breaking Free of Mother Guilt". I personally have very little mother guilt personally, since I consider myself well-educated in my decisions regarding pregnancy/birth/parenting. However, as a midwifery student, these are issues that have and will continue to come up. I think it is an encouraging and helpful article for women who are suffering guilt, personal blame or insecurity about their experiences. The personal stories included make it very easy to understand and identifiable for all women. Also, it helps me as a (future) care provider to these women, as I am still working to move past my personal thoughts and ideals of what pregnancy, birth and mothering should be and into a more individual, less judgmental approach to connecting with these women.

And, as always, A Quiet Place. I love Peggy's writing.

Yes, I really liked this article too (Breaking Free of Mother Guilt). I'd love to share it with some friends via email so they can read it too. Is there a way to do that? I looked on Mothering.com but I couldn't find the article.
#23 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM

I was also glad to see the EC letter.

I liked the babywearing article. It would have been helpful for new mothers to show photos of how mothers nurse while wearing a sling though.

And I always like the recipes. We're trying the white bean and kale soup this week. We didn't try any of the recipes from the last issue, but tried the three sisters stew from the previous one and it was delicious!

I liked the homeschooling and fgm ones too.
#24 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Babywearing Bliss, mainly because one of my daycare Moms is expecting #2 in the Spring, and wants to sling this time, so I passed on my copy to her.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#25 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM

The babywearing articles were great, and I adored the cover. I like the dads' perspectives, and hope to see more of that. I liked the homeschooling article, and hope to see more POC perspectives as well.

I'm not a fan of the "Neat stuff to buy" spreads.

Don't have my copy with me, or I'd have more to say.
#26 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM

I haven't subscribed to mothering magazine yet - but I heard that the babywearing article is a lifesaver.

BTW if anyone wants to send me their copy of this issue (specifically for that article) once they're done reading it please PM me!!
#27 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 PM

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Art of Mothering: Breaking free of Mother-Guilt. We often spend so much of our time researching and weighing the pros and cons. Even if we do not, we make the best decisions for ourselves and family in that moment.

We guilt ourselves enough, we certainly do not need to guilt each other.

Debbie
#28 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM

I read some of the article on FGM today and it was very moving. It is terrible to know that these things are happening to girls around the world. I plan to donate to Equality Now, the organization mentioned in the article.
#29 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 PM

has anyonw elso still not recieved thier copy? When do you all normally recieve it?

JACKIE
Married since '04
all the kiddos!
'05
'06
'09
'12
'15
#30 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM

I absolutely loved the babywearing article
The FGM article inspired me to be more active.
And I really appreciated the articles written by fathers, and so did my Dh!!!!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page