What articles and features of Mothering issue 141 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 141 did you enjoy?
Clean Green: Make your house spic and span without chemicals 124 100.00%
Vringing Homebirth into the Hospital: A resolute couple has a natural breech birth 91 100.00%
Give Me that Old-Time Recess: How playing on the jungle gym can help your child to learn 91 100.00%
The Amazing Invisible Fence: A parent learns about child safety—Swedish style 114 100.00%
A Quiet Place: Sleeping with Your Baby 109 100.00%
Bulletins: Mothers’ Center International Network, Friendly Skies for Nursing Moms 32 100.00%
Art of Mothering: A mother’s poignant story of recovering from a stillbirth 146 100.00%
A Child’s World: Learn about proactive youth working for a better society 31 100.00%
Breastfeeding: Make it through that burning breast infection—naturally 75 100.00%
Peggy’s Kitchen: Jump-start your day with delicious new spins on old standards 35 100.00%
Cool Stuff: Gear for enjoying spring’s return 20 100.00%
Living Treasure: Shafia Monroe - African-American midwifery activist 34 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 65 Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in March-April 2007 issue 141 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue 141. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 141. Thanks

[IMG] https://www.mothering.com/images/this_issue131.gif [/IMG]

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 03-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally a personal comment, but I can say there could have been better timing on the stillbirth article? It was beautiful, and meaningful, and well done, but someone should have stolen this issue from my mailbox as a personal favor to me...

That said, I am very glad Mothering published the article, it deserved to be shared, and I am blessed to have read it. The above is just a totally selfish, "wow the timing on that sucks for me" comment, that's all. It was beautiful and painful and amazing and made me cry and I am very grateful Mothering published it, and grateful to the author for writing it.
#3 of 65 Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Thank you so much for that beautiful story, Charlotte's Grace. For those of us that live the nightmare every single day of our lives of stillbirth or infant loss, there is no "good timing" or "bad timing"...there was no "good timing" for those who lost our babies. Thank you for remembering that those of us who have lost our children are still mothers too, and thank you for sharing beautiful Charlotte.

This issue came out the same day my subscription renewal bill came...I was not going to renew because I couldn't bear to continue to read Mothering knowing that I had read and studied every issue during my pregnancy with Ryland--the pregnancy 2005 issue was in my mailbox around the time we lost Ry. But now, I will continue to subscribe, purely because of the fact that those of us who were not fortunate to be able to keep our children on earth are still recognized as mothers...

Thank you.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

#4 of 65 Old 03-10-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I removed a few posts because they did not meet the forum guidelines. I will PM you your post later so that you edit it to comply Thank you all for participating and take a moment to read the guideline stickie before posting

Thank you for your understanding.

Quote:
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.
#5 of 65 Old 03-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks Jacque for this poll!!!! Fun!!!!
#6 of 65 Old 03-11-2007, 02:33 PM

I loved this issue! The story on stillbirth was so moving. That article is a treasure for parents who have lost a baby. "Bring Back Recess" was surprising. I didn't know that it had been all but eliminated in most schools. There's another blow to the public school system. "The Invisible Fence" was thought-provoking. It's hard to not be goaded into fear of everything in the US but we should have more trust in our kids to stay safe. I loved the breakfast recipes-that's my favorite meal of the day and there were some great ideas in there. This issue seemed bigger than previous ones. Great job!

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#7 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM

This issue was wonderful. As usual Mothering deliveries articles that not only challenge your thinking but also your emotions. Death is a tough subject, especially death of a child or infant. Our society would rather brush this aside, if you are one of this club you are forced to take your grief somewhere else. Mothering stepped outside of the box and shared an article that is sad, beautiful and STRONG. "Charlotte's Grace" shows us that a mothers love and strength has no bounds. We are able to mother our children, even when they do not get to stay with us, and also grow to live our lives beyond such devastation.
~Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
love and light
#8 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Another one out of the park! I agree that "Charlotte's Grace" was poingniant and reaffirming of the feelings occuring when dealt with the loss of a baby and the loss of a dream. My heart positively goes out to all who have felt that loss. I sobbed looking at that beautiful family together now in spirit.

I wanted to remark how imperative the mastitis article was for me. Firstly, I had no idea that mastitis could be hereditary, makes total sense. And since I get it each time with my newborns I love the kit to keep on hand 24 hours into the symptoms to prevent antibiotic use. My personal situation I have never resorted to antibiotics because I am a glouten for immense pain but the herbal suggestions will be bought and ready for when the new baby comes in August!

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#9 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM

Haven't even read mine yet,seeing as it came today. but I had to say Thanks for putting our friend McKenzie on the cover. Isn't she a cutie pie

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#10 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 AM

it took me three tries before i could get through the story of Charlotte and i'll never forget that photograph...
i'm not sure that i'd ever be able to go on after such a tradgedy.
#11 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 AM

I can't get a hold of the magazine anywhere! I usually buy it at my local health food store or Whole Foods. Both are out.
Any idea what that's about? I'm in CA.

:Mama to 2 :
#12 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Okay, I read Charlotte's Grace and bawled through it myself. I guess I'm in the minority but I would rather not read about such tragedies in the magazine. Yes, it was beautifully done but deeply disturbing to me as a mother of two. It left me depressed for the rest of the day. I just don't like to read about negative news in parenting magazines. Then again, I've never been through the experience so I realize that articles like this help validate someone who has. Although I'm sure the photo was deeply important to this family I honestly did not need to see it. Please note that I am a very emotionally sensitive person though so things like this really can make or break my entire day.

Last of all, pregnant women are paranoid enough about any and everything going wrong so I can only imagine that reading an article like this is the last thing many of them need to add to their stress.
#13 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 PM

I just got my issue today and have only flipped through most of it. I did read the first page of Charlotte's Grace, but couldn't continue because I couldn't read through my tears. Beautiful, powerful, devastating story!
#14 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM

I was touched to the heart by Charlotte's Grace. What an amazing story and what an amazing mother to be able to share such a personal event with all of us. Thank you!

I also wish i'd had the article on Mastitis while both my girls were newborns. I fought mastitis the 1st four months of my breastfeeding relationship with my 1st daughter. EVERYONE told me to give up, and yet i fought through it. Then i got it again with my second child and blamed it on overproduction of milk. Now should we ever have another baby, I fully intend on implementing many of the tips from this article!

I also loved the Clean Green: Make your house spic and span without chemicals, article. I have been extremely worried about the effects of household cleaners and now have alternatives. Thank you MDC, as always a job well done!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#15 of 65 Old 03-14-2007, 11:54 AM

Thank you for Charlotte Grace's story. It was moving beyond words. I read it at the library last night and couldn't hold back the tears, as hard as I tried.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#16 of 65 Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM

My sons are turning six and four this week and I still subscribe because of articles like "Bring Back Recess." It is crucial to continue to protect our children and their childhood past the baby and toddler years. Children in schools need advocacy to protect them from junk food, advertising, and a lack of freedom and fresh air that would drive any adult nuts. Thanks for your strong support on these issues.

Charlotte's story was powerful because of its truth and its hope. I sobbed hard into my pillow until my kids asked what's wrong. But her ability to speak forcefully about her fierce love for her daughter and the wisdom and abudance of her mothering in the aftermath of loss was a gift to me and many readers.

Astoria
#17 of 65 Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM

I have to say that reading the feedback on Charlotte's Grace, has brought me to tears....yet again.
I think for the moms that have endure the horrible loss of a child feel very validated.

THANK YOU!!!!
#18 of 65 Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 PM

I also thought Charlotte's Grace was beautifully written. However, seeing a photograph of a stillborn baby was very upsetting to me. I love Mothering but I was very disappointed that they would publish such a distressing photograph without at least warning their readers of the graphic content.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#19 of 65 Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mama's, just wanted to remind you all of the Forum Guidelines I just added to the list only one post per member please : If you see a comment by a member and would like to question them further, please pm them. We really need this thread to be about your personal thoughts on the current issue/articles of Mothering.

I did remove a few posts for quoting, PM me if you have any questions.

Gently,

Jacque
#20 of 65 Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 AM

Charlotte's Grace was an amazing story and long overdue. I am so glad that Mothering had the courage to print this story and the picture of this beautiful child and her family. There is nothing distressing about a child in her parents arms, that's for sure.

In addition to validating those of us who have endured the loss of our children, this article will hopefully provide a roadmap for the many women who will surely have to do so in the future. Death is a sure part of life. Although it might be painful for some to read about, G-d forbid they or someone they know has to birth a child who has died- they may find comfort and strength from this article.

THANK YOU!

Oh, and the painting by Durga Berhnard, isn't that the one she painted after talking with Berkeley after she lost her daughter, Julianna? It's beautiful.

Hugs, Jacque!
#21 of 65 Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM

I read all of the articles yesterday and was very interested in the article about Invisible Fences. I struggle with allowing my children to find their own sense of what is or is not safe. It was also a nice reminder of how other cultures parent. I have a friend who was born and raised in Sweden and she brings so much to me through her parenting.

I know not all children will find what is safe for them without taking a few falls, but as an american parent, I am costantly bombarded with "that is not safe" when in reality it may be safe but not comfortable.
Thanks for sharing this article!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#22 of 65 Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM

As a pregnant mom, I was deeply disturbed and saddened by the article Charlotte's Grace. My heart breaks into a million pieces for any family that has lost a child - it's unthinkable - but I have not been able to stop thinking about that story and the accompanying photo. My love and respect goes out to that family but I have to say I wish I had not read the piece for my own mental health. I already worry so much.

I did enjoy the article on cosleeping. This is something my family has enjoyed very much with our first. I felt it was uplifting and inspiring and was something I could feel comfortable sharing with someone unfamiliar w/ Mothering Mag.
#23 of 65 Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure how I felt about this article. I have 2 friends who also subscibe to this magazine and both independently called me in tears. Friend one has a 6 month old and this was her first introduction to the magazine. Friend two is pregnant with baby number two, almost lost baby number one, and is now making different decisions about the birth of her second baby. While it was beautifully written, I think it was too painful for some that weren't expecting this kind of a story.
#24 of 65 Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 PM

Charlotte's Grace was an amazing story and I think it was courageous of Mothering to run it. I learned so much reading this piece. Thank you.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#25 of 65 Old 03-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Thank you Mothering for running Charlotte's Grace! It was so wonderfully done. It reminded me of my own experience with my little girl's stillbirth. Stillbirths are so rarely talked about, yet it happens so much more frequently than people realize with most stillbirths having no known cause and no central effort to help research them. Although it can be painful and scary for some to read, it comforted me. I too was considering cancelling my subscription, but now I will reconsider.
#26 of 65 Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM

I am not a mother who has lost a baby to stillbirth (knock wood) but I loved the fact that Mothering had the courage to print the article and the picture. Both were so beautiful and moving, and remind us that death is a part of life, and we can never take pregnancy and birth for granted.

I also loved the recess article -- I think Christine Gross-Loh always hits her articles out of the park.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#27 of 65 Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 AM

Loved this issue, and not just because you printed my letter and the picture of my twins nursing their dolls!

What a thrill for us, thanks
Raji
#28 of 65 Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 AM

Charlotte's Grace was beautifully written. It was extremely emotional & I cried deeply. Blessings on that family and others.

I've always appreciated the footnotes/research that Mothering offers at the end of their articles to back up their stories. The recess article was well-researched & interesting.

As usual, I enjoy Peggy's editorials. She balances a softness of a mother as well as a toughness as a child's advocate.

Though I didn't vote for it, I appreciate the recipes especially when you include vegetarian/vegan recipes! (Didn't vote for the recipes this time as the recipes looked pretty standard...nothing inspiring this time

The invisible fences article was thought-provoking. The BEST part of it was the last paragraph (cute twist).

Was disappointed with the Green cleaning article. Very basic info. Very surface article (no pun intended). Thought it could have gone into more detail. I'm glad you have articles like this in your magazine as it's so important to keep our children safe from nasty chemicals; I just wished it could have been researched/written like the recess article was.
#29 of 65 Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 AM

I truly appreciated the article on Charlotte Grace. It brought me back to the death of my daughter in a very precious way. I am sorry that so many mommas were upset by the article, but I also think too many of us take a healthy pregnancy and birth for granted. The reality is that babies die, and the sooner we all accept that reality, the sooner the silent grieving mothers will be given a voice.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#30 of 65 Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

I enjoyed reading my issue more then usual this time. I was also very touched by Charlotte Grace as many other moms were too. I felt that not only was it "ok" for there to be a photo but, really a necessary element to the story to fully express it and show no shame for the child involved which is the feeling I am getting from many of the mothers posting as though her loss of life should have been hidden in some way. One needs to come to terms with the fact that babies die every minute in this world and those that have been through this difficult and trying time need to be able to voice their stories and feeling and be heard and appreciated just as strongly as those of us that have had a positive outcome in birth and life. You can't have a rose without the thorns in life. I feel that we all need to realize that stillbirth and miscarriage are not words left unsaid or behind closed doors they actually happen to women just like us and we need to be prepared for the idea that someday it may actually be us. These are real lives being touched by these events and I feel honored to have the opportunity to be invited into the family involved's story by way of this Mothering issue. I have a newfound feeling of respect for all of you mothers who have had to experience this life altering event. Thank you for publishing it, whole.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page