What articles and features of Mothering issue 143 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 143 did you enjoy?
Lactation and the Law: How can we better protect public breastfeeding? 29 28.16%
The French Male Midwife: An unlikely guide lights the way to homebirth 17 16.50%
A Quiet Place: our low-carbon diet 3 2.91%
Your Letters: Sleeping with your baby, Postpartum Psychosis, Mastitis, Adoption 2 1.94%
Bulletins: HIV and breastfeeding, daycare and Children's behavior, Oregon's new breastfeeding law 2 1.94%
Soccer Can Wait: A mother decides that her four-year-old thrives without a schedule 15 14.56%
Small Hands, Big Art: A toddler art group gives kids a chance to create 15 14.56%
Mothers Kitchen: A moms' cooking group fills up stomachs and hearts 3 2.91%
Fresh Food Nation: For hungry learners, farm-to-school programs feed body and mind 5 4.85%
Farmers Market Feast: Buying local teaches kids about ecology and community 8 7.77%
Prized Picture Books: Read-aloud fun with artistic flair 1 0.97%
Storkes of Genius: Handy goods for keeping your family healthy and comfortable 2 1.94%
Living Treasure: Kittie Frantz 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 24 Old 07-10-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in July - August 2007 issue 143 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue 143. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 143. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe that this is the first post!

I read "Little Hands, Big Art" and practically ran to the craft store to get all of the supplies I thought I needed.

I first tried helping my son make art when he was around 6 mo. or so. We experimented with chalk pastels. Honestly, he wasn't that into it. After reading this article, I bought a set of watercolors, a set of 10 poster paints (which I am using as finger paints as well), a set of fat brushes, a bunch of foam brushes, and a big package of white construction paper. When I got home, I pulled out an un-used coffee table and taped a sheet of the constrction paper to the table. I put the paints out...and, well, ds was just not that into it (he's now 16 mo.)...So, I poured a little bit of each color out onto the paper, and he dug right in.

We haven't painted everyday since but have painted several times since. I have been keeping each "painting" and using each to wrap presents, send packages, and make cards with.

This article inspired me A TON! I am thankful that it was in this issue!
#3 of 24 Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 AM

I was in love with the toddler art article also and want to run out and buy all the supplies for my 18 month old to explore. The article had some great ideas and, most importantly, great encouragement. I am still worried that my son will just eat all the supplies I buy though.

Katie, mama to Jackson (1.2.06) and Hogan (1.2.09)

#4 of 24 Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM

my issue hasn't come in the mail yet
i hope it gets here soon.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 24 Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Why can't I vote for more than one article? I really appreciated Jake Marcus's article on breastfeeding in public. Also, the article about farm-to-school programs like Vermont's FEED (Food Education Every Day) program.

Thanks!
#6 of 24 Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 PM

I was only able to vote for one article, also. There were several that I enjoyed, though. The article on breastfeeding and the law presented information that I am very glad to be aware of, though I was sad to learn that we don't have provisions to enforce the laws protecting breastfeeding mothers and children in more than a few states.
And I really enjoyed reading the light-hearted account of the French male midwife.

happily married sahmommy to almost 3yo son
#7 of 24 Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM

I went out and got the book, Young at Art, that the article was based on. A great read - really opened my eyes to facilitating art instruction for my little ones!
Thanks to the author and to Mothering...

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
#8 of 24 Old 07-22-2007, 08:52 PM

The Mothers Kitchen article was a good idea, but the recipes were a little to wintery. How about some good late-summer entrees that focus on the seasons delights?
I also would like to add that I enjoyed the French midwife article, it brought back found memories of my wonderful birth!!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#9 of 24 Old 07-23-2007, 09:48 PM

I enjoyed the entire magazine but with having to choose one article I'd say that lactation and the law stuck out to me as I'm nursing my 1 month old and was very interested in finding out the law for my state. Thankfully there are laws protecting me and provisions to enforce the law here.

Great and timely article!
#10 of 24 Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 PM

I voted for lactation and the law, but if I couldn't have voted for another, it would have been small hands, big art.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#11 of 24 Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 PM

I liked both food articles, and the French midwife one was entertaining, but it wasn't my favorite issue. I can't quite put my finger on the reason for that--it's just that it didn't grab me the way some past issues have.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#12 of 24 Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM

I found myself trying to check more than one- I liked several articles! I always love the letters, I enjoyed the French Male Midwife, and was interested in the Breastfeeding Laws- but the toddler art one was inspiring and I immediately ran out and got art supplies.
#13 of 24 Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
is this issue still on newsstands?

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Arianna 9/06
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03
. Expecting another sweet little baby April 2015.
#14 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would have voted for more than one choice, but unfortunately the screen would only allow me to pick one.

I liked the farm to school produce article, & I also liked the French midwifery perspective.... that was very cool, imo. Why shouldn't my son be a midwife one day, French or not, kwim??

Aussiemum
(43), DH
(42) DD
(16), & DS
(14).
#15 of 24 Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 PM

I LOVE Soccer can wait! I felt like It was coming from my own heart!!!! Thank you so much!:

I am so interested in not overscheduling my children that I often underschedule them though. I am kind of a freak about it. People think I am weird. But they would anyways. LOL
#16 of 24 Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM

I liked the low carbon diet as it spoke to the simple things that we can do and the simple things that we aren't doing. It also reminded me that no action is too small to make an impact.

Former 
wearing,
ing, pole dancing, 
pushing, 
survivor & single mama extraordinaire to 
. Whew! Now that's a mouthful!!!

#17 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 AM

Like others, I wanted to vote for other articles beyond the one I got to pick. However, I chose the art article as a favorite as it brought back a lot of really good, precious memories of the art group my oldest dd was was in when she was 3 (she's now 13). My dh and I are both artists & have let that part get absorbed in day-to-day routine, and this article really inspired me to get out the supplies and do it with our children and who knows, maybe, we'll get back into it, too!

Also, enjoyed Peggy's piece about a low-carbon diet. It's good to know about the diff companies we support being responsible. I look forward to hearing how it's all going for Mothering. We're keeping our enviro impact low in many ways, too, so it's good to feel we have a partnership.
#18 of 24 Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM

It's too bad that I can't vote for two articles b/c if I could have, I would have voted for Soccer can wait and Little Hands, Big Art.

I can't wait to hit the art supply store and get creating with my 17 month old. It was a very inspiring article and I liked the practical hints at the end of the article. Great!

Soccer can wait wasn't a new idea to me, in fact this is how I would like to live. Kids are far too over scheduled these days. I want my kid(s) to know how to make up their own activities (as we did as kids), to be able to play in the backyard with nothing but a shovel or some rocks. Things do not need to be so complicated.

Great job!
#19 of 24 Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 AM

It's really hard to pick just one... this was a really good issue.

The not-being-scheduled article was a GREAT reminder. "Little Hands / Big Art" was great but a little unrealistic ~~ canvases here are actually pretty expensive. HOWEVER the idea is fantastic. I keep putting off doing it with my own kids : but I really intend to. They already paint and draw like mad but never on canvas... yet!

The breastfeeding and law articles Mothering has been running recently have been FABULOUS and extremely informative.

And the fresh food in schools.... I always feel so fired up to get fresh food in my son's school but never feel like I can actually make a difference. It seems like a nice fantasy.
#20 of 24 Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura_Kitten View Post
canvases here are actually pretty expensive. HOWEVER the idea is fantastic.
I thought so too but when I was in my local hardware type store they had canvases for $1. I'm not sure where you are though.
#21 of 24 Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Wouldn't it be more helpful to the Mothering team if we were allowed to vote for atleast two or three, rather than only one? Certainly I wouldn't want everyone to go and vote for everything, that wouldn't help much. But I would have voted for lactation and the law, as well as the french midwife (which is what I ultimately chose). And maybe bulletins as well, especially the one about canned goods. That's something that isn't talked about much is it?

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#22 of 24 Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

I thought the article about Breastfeeding and the Law was really amazing, well written, and informative. I really appreciate articles like that and Mothering's progressive stance on breastfeeding. It's magazines like yours that promt me into advocacy, keep me going when times get tough, and keep me informed on things I need to know.

I did, however, find the letter commenting on the Postpartum Psychosis article saying how psychiatric drugs are often the cause of many problems to be somewhat upsetting; while it is rooted partly in truth I felt it bordered on alarmist and was somewhat inflammatory. It's letters like that one which can keep people who have mental illnesses from getting treatment. As someone with a serious, lifelong mental illness, I can personally attest to the fact that diet, exercise, and homeopathic treatments are not a panacea and do not work for all patients.
#23 of 24 Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM

I voted for the tot art article, because this is our house! we do art everywhere... and I like that this is aimed at 1 years; not preschool age...

But I know I will like the public breastfeeding article. The other day, at the lake, I was nursing my lo, and this man with older kids later smiled and mentioned how happy he was to live in the bay area, where you can nurse your baby and no one freaks. He then told me this story about his wife, when their (now teen-aged) son was a baby. They were the modern art museum in Chicago, and his wife was nursing their son in the stairwell of the museum--this woman came up to her and told her that she should reall not be nursing her baby there!

This is in a modern art museum, full of pictures of naked people!

~~~~~~~~~~
#24 of 24 Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 AM

I choose the breastfeeding laws although The French Male Midwife: An unlikely guide lights the way to homebirth is a close second.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page