What articles and features of Mothering issue 144 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 144 did you enjoy?
Cesarean Birth in a Culture of Fear - Medicalization of childbirth harms women and babies 51 100.00%
Homebirth in Holland - Dutch midwives help an American to trust herself and her body 42 100.00%
Mama was a Midwife - In this home birth was so normal it was embarassing 41 100.00%
A Quiet Place: Is Breastfeeding in Trouble? 32 100.00%
Your Letters: Public Breastfeeding, Kids and Time, Gardasil, Postpartum Psychosis 15 100.00%
Bulletins: Vaccines and Neurological Disorders, Male Genital Integrity, Pennies for Peace 20 100.00%
Art of Mothering: Primal Love - The bond between mother and baby 31 100.00%
A Child's World: Saturday Night Spa - The evening bath becomes a sacred time for mom and daughter 37 100.00%
Ways of Learning: The Legacy of Black Midwives - Making midwifery accessible to African Americans 14 100.00%
Breastfeeding: Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits - Why breast is best for toddlers too! 53 100.00%
Cool Stuff: A Wonder to Behold - Media for mamas-to-be 9 69.23%
Strokes of Genius - Products to make new parenting easier 7 53.85%
Living Treasure: Mary Revere - 104 year old Granny Midwife 11 84.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 16 Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in September-October 2007 issue 144 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote for the articles you enjoyed in issue 144. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 144. Thanks

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum to hold polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.

Peggy will be reading these polls, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really enjoyed the article on c-sections. However, I believe the data showing the increase in c-sections over time would have been more powerful juxtaposed with the infant and maternal morbidity and mortality rate over the same period. I have not seen this information paired together, but my gut says that there were early reductions in morbidity and mortality, but that there has been either no decrease, and perhaps even an increase in maternal and infant mortality in the last 20 years or so.
Thanks for a great magazine!
Erin
#3 of 16 Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I loved the article on spa night. Even though I have a son, it's great to hear ideas on how to fostera positive body image. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stella, wild and gentle mama to Toby(12/14/04), Cedar(8/17/08), Luca
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(3/15/14), and one on the way!

#4 of 16 Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 AM

Cesarean Birth in a Culture of Fear - Medicalization of childbirth harms women and babies

thank you for this artice!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#5 of 16 Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 AM

I enjoyed Homebirth in Holland. It really spoke to me.

Spa Night was a favorite too.

Thank you :

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#6 of 16 Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Spa night was so sweet, it totally inspired me to start a little ritual for my daughters and I.

Oh and, Mama Was a Midwife made me smile too
#7 of 16 Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Cesarean Birth in a Culture of Fear was fascinating. I had no idea how many machines a birthing woman in a hospital is hooked up to!

: 10/06 : 10/09
#8 of 16 Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM

This was one of my favorite issues in a while. Especially to two articles on birth.

However, I was APPALLED that the notes for the articles are now not printed at the end of the article!! As I have always maintained, the BEST thing about Mothering Magazine is that the articles are so well researched and documented. That is why I always feel confident loaning it to skeptical family members - they can see the science behind my "silly hippie ideas." Now I will have to print out all the endnotes and tuck them into the magazine so that in case in a year or two I want to loan an issue to someone I will have the notes. Endnotes don't take up that much room, why not just print them with the articles?

Jen
#9 of 16 Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM

loved, loved, loved the spa one. my daughter and I have started that tradition, look forward to doing it for many more years.
#10 of 16 Old 10-20-2007, 07:03 PM

I could hardly choose. This was a fabulous issue of mothering and its going in my library!
#11 of 16 Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed Homebirth in Holland.

On the c-secton article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
However, I was APPALLED that the notes for the articles are now not printed at the end of the article!! As I have always maintained, the BEST thing about Mothering Magazine is that the articles are so well researched and documented. That is why I always feel confident loaning it to skeptical family members - they can see the science behind my "silly hippie ideas." Now I will have to print out all the endnotes and tuck them into the magazine so that in case in a year or two I want to loan an issue to someone I will have the notes. Endnotes don't take up that much room, why not just print them with the articles?
I completely agree!

Also, if I may share one criticism about the c-section article: I wish there had been some type of resource or educational sidebar or something that would provide tangible, helpful information for women who, in the midst of labor, encounter some of the standard "lines" or rationale from the hospital staff about why they "need" a c-section now, etc., and what the alternatives (not necessarily presented by hospital staff) might be. For example, if a woman hears that her baby's head is poorly positioned, and therefore she needs a c-section, are there other options? What if a woman is laboring for a long time and is told she needs a c-section because her uterus can't handle that much labor? How long can a woman safely labor? What if the woman's cervix is swollen? Or if it refuses to dilate all the way, and a little lip is preventing her from being able to start pushing? Can these problems typically be reversed, or is the woman really "headed for a c-section," as her doctor suggests?

I read the article and nodded my head a lot about how there are too many c-sections and how our culture helps promote that, but I wish there had been information that could help women be more proactive during labor.
#12 of 16 Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 PM

i will probably get deleted for not following the rules of this forum, I just have to say that the answer here was useless

https://www.mothering.com/sections/ex...firsttrimester

the reader asked what yoga exercises were best for 3rd trimester pregnancy and the response was: (OK I'm paraphrasing)
"walk 5 miles a day or buy my DVD)"

i hope that when I am deleted, the message gets passed on to whoever needs to know.
#13 of 16 Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junomama View Post
I read the article and nodded my head a lot about how there are too many c-sections and how our culture helps promote that, but I wish there had been information that could help women be more proactive during labor.

Exactly! It was also disappointing (curious even) that ICAN was not mentioned...not even once in the article...not even in the section on "For More Information". One of the few (the only?) organizations whose mission is all about cesareans and they weren't once mentioned?
#14 of 16 Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM

I loved the pretty much everything! This was my first issue of mothering, and I am so happy I found it. I came across the website first, which made me go out and buy the magazine, now I am going to subscribe!

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#15 of 16 Old 10-27-2007, 06:22 PM

my cousin could have benefited from the article on c-sections...
#16 of 16 Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Wow, what a strong portrait of what a typical hospital birth can be if you allow it. Seeing that picture of that woman hooked up to those monitors was intense. Why don't they post that picture in every dr office as an ad for mothering and have a caption saying Looking for an Alternative. I'm so happy my births were so beautiful and unencumbered by mainstream gadgets.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page