What articles and features of Mothering issue 146 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 27 Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the January/February 2008 issue 146 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote here for the articles you enjoyed in issue 146. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 146.

These are the articles and features in issue 146 that you may rate:

A Quiet Place: Trust Yourself (Peggy O'Mara's Editorial)
Your Letters
Bulletins
Rock Me Gently
Gifts of the Giveaway
Is Aluminum the New Thimerosal?
Herbs for the Mom-To-Be
Mom's Breastaurant
Premature Politics
Birth Film Revolution
Strokes of Genius

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum so you can comment further on the current issue.

Peggy will be reading these comments, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine and post a link to it.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I LOVED this Peggy is a wonderful writer and certainly has her pulse on what the current climate in mothering.
#3 of 27 Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Loved, Loved, Loved:
Rock Me Gently
Is Aluminum the New Thimerosal?
Herbs for the Mom-To-Be
Mom's Breastaurant
Birth Film Revolution

I found these interesting, but mostly skimmed:

Premature Politics
Strokes of Genius
Your Letters
Bulletins
Gifts of the Giveaway

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09

#4 of 27 Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM

While I enjoyed all of it, there was a letter in Your Letters that I enjoyed most. It was a letter commenting on not taking a scare tactic for breastfeeding advertising and how it could really hurt mothers who were unable to breastfeed. This is my feeling as well for a few reasons:

1) The Buddha said "Hate has not yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate." And I feel that promoting scare tactics for those not breastfeeding is a form of hate and violence, and ultimately, ineffective.
2) There has been a study, and I don't have anything to reference but my memory from high school, that most high school students start smoking when they find out what it does to their lungs. This feels like the same thing to me.
3) I'm one of those "rare" women who tried everything you could possibly think of to have enough breastmilk to feed my baby, but just didn't. 2 years later, and pregnant again, I still feel this as an acute pain. I breastfed as much as possible, but had to supplement to keep my baby alive and healthy. It really hurts to be constantly reminded that my baby will more likely be obese, dumb, allergic, and sick.
#5 of 27 Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Thank you for fixing this survey. Any chace that the survey for the previous issues can be corrected as well?
#6 of 27 Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 AM

I was so excited when this issue of Mothering arrived in the mail and I saw a film about natural birth on the cover. I have to admit, I was extremely disappointed to find out there really wasn't much about the film in the magazine. I would have loved to have seen Peggy's interview printed.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#7 of 27 Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM

I was disappointed in the headline about aluminum in vaccines, I felt it was quite alarmist. I was also really, really disappointed that the interview with Rikki Lake was not in the magazine; I was so looking forward to it and I got to that section to find a tiny little blurb. It's pretty exciting to have a celebrity championing homebirth!
#8 of 27 Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 AM

This was the first time ever I really disliked the whole thing. The aluminum article was just okay. The premature politics put me off, but then my kids are integrated into my life and are shielded from violence but not from ideas or from expressing their opinions on issues that affect them so I just disagreed with the whole premise, the herbs in pregnancy was so superficial and useless in my opinion (so much info missing that is widely available and also nothing new I didn't already know). And Peggy's contribution didn't inspire me either. That was a first. It was just really ho-hum for me. But, everyone has a bad day so I forgive you and look forward to the next issue being its usual wonderful inspiring addition to my life.
#9 of 27 Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM

I liked the article on the aluminum in vaccines, but after I read it, I found myself feeling nervous about it. I'd resolved not to vaccinate my two younger children, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to vaccinate them both when they were 3 and almost-1. I wanted a delayed schedule, to space out the shots that they got, but doctors and clinicians pressured me to get them "caught up," and as a result they were getting between 4 and 7 shots (I believe at that point my daughter received 11 vaccines at once) every couple of months. Besides making them very sick (my baby ran a fever of over 102 degrees for three days), they were uncomfortable at the injection sites and I was persistantly worried about the potential side-effects.

Eventually I have come to terms with having to vaccinate them thus, as it was a situation out of my hands. However, reading something like this scares me into remembering that, and wondering if there wasn't something, anything, I could have done to change the way they were immunized. I worried about the effects of the vaccines themselves, and now I find myself wondering about the cumulative effects of the additives, such as aluminum, that were in them, as well.

I do think it may have been a little on the alarmist side. After all, for all of the scary facts and frightening possibilities, the article did say that not enough research had been done on this. Maybe, just maybe, that should have been made a little more obvious. We are assuming here - because there haven't been the comprehensive studies on children, and there needs to be. But until there is, it's very easy to only see the negative images these possibilities bring to mind. I had to remind myself that none of it has been proven yet, such as it was with thimerisol.

And my kids, so far, seem to be okay. I'm glad of the knowledge, though it may have been presented a little harshly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There should be a zebra-smiley
)O(
Solo Mom with a Blessed Life )O(
Tommi Kieryn (12)...Gabriella Siobhan (10)...Nathaniel Lucas (7)...Alivia Rayne (3)
~~~~

DV Survivor/Mom of Transgender Kid/Disabled Veteran

~~~~

#10 of 27 Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 PM

As a long time subscriber, I was disappointed in the Dr. Sears aluminum article. While I agree aluminum is a serious concern, I didn't like the "pro-vaccine" slant in the article. In all of the "safe" suggestions, never once was NOT VACCINATING presented as an option. My renewal notice came in the mail recently - if Mothering is going to slant pro-vax I won't be renewing. I can get that in any publication.

Also noticed the ad for his book in the back - guess that explains it.

Also disappointed there wasn't a full interview with R. Lake. I was thrilled to see her on the cover and immediately turned to that first.
#11 of 27 Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
As a long time subscriber, I was disappointed in the Dr. Sears aluminum article. While I agree aluminum is a serious concern, I didn't like the "pro-vaccine" slant in the article. In all of the "safe" suggestions, never once was NOT VACCINATING presented as an option. My renewal notice came in the mail recently - if Mothering is going to slant pro-vax I won't be renewing. I can get that in any publication.

Also noticed the ad for his book in the back - guess that explains it.

Also disappointed there wasn't a full interview with R. Lake. I was thrilled to see her on the cover and immediately turned to that first.
Ditto...I thought the article was a total sell out...then I saw why:

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#12 of 27 Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Birth Film Revolution

I'm going to see Ricki Lake's fiml today in fact. (I can't wait)
#13 of 27 Old 01-27-2008, 05:18 PM

I found the vaccine bulletin disturbing in the sense that parents did not stand up to the authority scarecrow.
People should be aware;

a) many states, including MD, have exemptions. Any parent can take advantage of this.

b) parents are given paperwork showing vaccinations. Of course schools lose paperwork all the time, therefore the parents in the article blaming the schools for losing the paperwork and "making" the parents get their children re vaccinated was frustrating read. The parents need to take responsibility.

c) finally, there is a third possible answer to this heavy handed use of school/government authority into the lives of families - homeschooling. Take your family and morals somewhere else.

Any of the three options above are available to parents IF they choose to use it. Authoritative "experts", as described by Peggy's "Trust Yourself" article, are stopped when we refuse to play their games. Trust your decisions and be prepared to defend them if necessary. The decision to vaccinate or not, is a personal one. Threatening parents is a cheap shot that could have been met with firm resistance. When it comes to public schools, parents need to get a backbone!
#14 of 27 Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM

This is only the second issue of Mothering I've ever read. I like that Mothering champions so much of what I stand for in my family. Here are my thoughts:
1.) First I love that we can respond this way, it feels so empowering.
2.) I was also dissappointed the interview with Ricki Lake was not in the magazine.
3.) I too was disappointed that not vaccinating wasn't offered as a safe/safer option in the aluminum article.
4.) I like that the aluminum artcle gave me more information that I didn't know. I like being informed on the latest info about medical issues involving my children.
5.) Suggestion: Maybe you could have a feature in the magazine that tells a different mom's story in each issue. It could be anything from a birth story to mothering teenagers and anyone from a celebrity to "the mom next door." I like hearing about the special, mundane, everyday heroic things other mom's have done/gone through/make happen/etc.
6.) Suggestion: maybe you could highlight in the mag some of the hot topics that arrise in the forum. I have been especially touched by mothers' willingness to be so open and fragile to each other on the forum and the loving and gentle way most everyone responds to each other. You could take one post from MDC that seemed especially interesting/poignant/inspiring/hotly debated and discuss it in the mag. (Maybe this is how you choose topics already? Don't know).

Anyway those are my thoughts.
Thanks for the magazine and the forum. I look forward to the next one.
#15 of 27 Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 PM

The birth film revolution is the only part of the magazine I have read yet, and I was sorely disappointed. I had thought that if there was a big pic of R. Lake on the front there would be a large portion of the article devoted to her film. I was going to use that to show my "not so crunchy" friends but don't feel like a one paragraph portion of the full length article would be of any interest to them.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#16 of 27 Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM

I loved Rock me Gently. My hubby who is really geared to the norm if you will spanking is ok and all that actually looked at me and said that really sounds like it makes lot of sense (sorry for the spelling). I have read alot of stuff on anti spanking and discipline and he says they just sound like "Dont Spank otherwise your kids will never love you and they wont grow up right", which in away is right if you are talking they will be scared and that they will grow up thinking it is ok to spank and that corporal punishment is the only way to go. But he said that this breaks it down in a good way that it explains that we arent letting our kids run the show if you will and letting them run around naked and with knives flying around but we are stearing them in another direction diverting them from dangers but not yelling and hurting thier feelings as well as there backsides. I really like it. It shows me that I threw away the rocking chair to soon know i will have to get another one. thanks for the article my hubby sounds to me that he will try harder then before and will have better tools and so will i to guide us in this journey we call parenting.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#17 of 27 Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM

I loved Rock me gently and the gifts of giveaway. Both were messages of listening and learning from your children as well as having them learn from you. I love that.
#18 of 27 Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 PM

As always I love the mag. And this time more than ever
1) Ricky Yes I too would have loved to read an interview from her
2) Because I was in it!!! I am the one in the article Moms Breasturant I was so happy to see my name is a wonderful magazine!!
Tera Smith
Thanks again for a great magazine

Midwife to Many, Mom to 5, Ummie to 2. Life is good on the Gulf Coast.
Owner - Southern Moon Midwifery
Owner - Luna Babies
#19 of 27 Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Loved, loved, loved Rock Me Gently. It goes right along with the parenting book I'm reading, Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. Everytime I get frustrated with DS for throwing something off of his high chair or hitting me in the face or opening a cabinet, I think back to the article and remember why DS does these things- he's fascinated with dropping and throwing things, he doesn't understand the difference between giving me a high five and hitting my face, he opened the cabinet because he's curious and I didn't lock it. It really shed some great light on why DS does things and how I can react in a healthy, safe, loving manner. I especially loved the bit on tantrums in the article.

erin
#20 of 27 Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 AM

I enjoyed the article on Mom's Breastaurant. Kudos to the writer for doing a really nice job on a cool topic.
The film listing was interesting, but I would have liked to see more information on the Business of Being Born. The cover photo got me all excited and hoping for more than was delivered.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007
. Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy
and new mama to baby Arthur.
#21 of 27 Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'd really like more articles for those of us with older children (above age 3!)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#22 of 27 Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Mom's Breastraunt was ingenious! I love the idea, I can't wait to have this at my next event. I am glad that we have movers and shakers out there. It is so much easier to just wait for someone else to DO something positive. I have recently finished my application for API so that I can have a network of parents close by and so maybe I can affect change in my part of the world. So moms after changing that diaper figure out what insipres you and go out and actually DO it! Life is about how positive you make someone else's life.

#23 of 27 Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM

As I have been doing with every issue since my subscription began almost 4 years ago and the issues I borrowed from a friend before that, I read this issue cover to cover. Mostly I liked it. There was one article that really bothered me, though.

I was disappointed in the Premature Politics article. This is the first time I've felt the need to write regarding an article. I agree with the author on the points that it's a good idea to shield kids from negativity and violence. However, I think it is unnecessary, and perhaps, irresponsible to generalize this approach to all political action. I therefore disagree with the premise of the article. And while people can always take away what they agree with and leave the rest, I feel so strongly that it is wrong to shield children from the process of participating in politics that I needed to write.

I have had my children involved in political activities with me in peaceful situations when the topic at hand directly affected them (which describes all of the politics I have been involved in since their births). This includes working at a Feminist Majority booth to register voters on a college campus in fall of 2004, participating in the March for Women's Lives in April 2005, a demonstration in support of vaccine choice in West Virginia, and a breastfeeding demonstration at an Applebee's last year. Additionally, they accompanied my husband and me when we voted in the presidential primaries in our state last month.

We shield them from televised news and most TV and turn off the radio when we feel it's inappropriate, but otherwise address questions about current events (and everything else for that matter) honestly. I think all any parent can (and should, in my opinion) do is to follow their own children's cues to determine what is best for their family and, in this case, what is the best pace for introduction to politics. I think it is a mistake for an author to apply her or his own experience or the findings of a psychological study to make generalizations about the specific details of what all parents should do. Furthermore, I think it is grossly irresponsible to shield children from the way that politics is done in this or any other country. I do not want my children to grow up ignorant of their civic duties and their part in owning the decisions that are made on behalf of the nation.
#24 of 27 Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 PM

This was the first time I read your magazine, and I must say I'm very happy to have found it.

I do, however, have some issues with the premature politics article. Although I found it an interesting topic (and one I will have to think about, because our daughter will probably be exposed to politics rather early), I found the article rather biased. I am happy for the writer to have found a solution that worked for her and her children, but I would have liked to have seen more different opinions, especially in a topic that's obviously very personal. I felt that the opinions that differed from the authors' were brushed aside rather quickly, with the rest of the article focusing on the author's personal experience.
#25 of 27 Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is that Betsy James piece in this issue? I loved it. Great stuff. More of that, please.
#26 of 27 Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM

I really loved Rock Me Gently, i felt it spoke directly to my parenting instincts, DH and I were able to read this article together and discuss it, he loved it too
I also like Premature Politics, i love that it seemed to be geared really towards the best interest of the child
#27 of 27 Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Herbs for mom to be
Rock me gently (my husband and I stayed up for 2 hours discussing this article...AMAZING)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page