What articles and features of Mothering issue 147 did you enjoy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a UK reader I was really interested in the maternal mortality article. Those senseless and preventable deaths and poor mothers and babies. Surely the military also owed that one poor mother and baby a duty of care.

We do get postnatal visits, but these are being really cut back due to lack of midwives. It used to be daily visits for 10 days as a routine, but now it has really reduced. I got 2 visits after being discharged and I'd had a 3rd degree tear and 2 units of blood plus my daughter had been under the bili lights and was having real trouble breastfeeding. So while it is a lot better than nothing it is still far from adequate.

Looking forward to the next issue

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Masking Maternal Mortality

This article hit home. If I wouldnt of hemoraghed due to placent abruptia and had to have a hysterectomey I would of died. When they looked at my uterus in the lab some of my placenta was still inside of my uterus. I would of lost my uterus anyway they did everything possible. And yes I have asked midwives and with what is in my charts and what we have told her (my hubby and what i remember ) she says there was no way around me losing it (which is good news, I would hate to know I would of been able to have more ya know and not be able to now) anyway I too was like so many other women out there "nothing will happen I dont need what the nurses are asking if I have a living will.Women have been having babies forever, right." Nope, After my placenta abruptia I was diagnosed with what is called DIC which in Barney terms (which I had to have) means that the blood went to my brain , my lungs and my heart to keep me alive but my uterus was just pumping out the excess blood. So I lost that and my kidneys shut down.
I was horrified to know that even with me having this (I am a legend at the naval hospital at camp lejeune they never have had this happen) that they havent published it till after a football players wife got it. But will say thank God they finally are talking about it. I am lucky one in 10,000 women survive from DIC and according to the article if they wouldnt of found it because of another problem I could be dead right now. Wow puts alot into perspective.
I got to have two wonderful boys and got to have a natural (even thought it was in hospital) birth with my second son. I never got the unassisted birth but I am thinking of going to training to be a doula still (was supposed to do it this last year $$$ said not right now) and then go on to be a midwife. I love babies. I just want to thank mothering for bringing it to everyones mind that things do happen. Please I dont want to scare anyone but make sure that if you have kids or plan to have kids get a living Will please.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#33 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM

As a UK reader I was really interested in the maternal mortality article. Those senseless and preventable deaths and poor mothers and babies. Surely the military also owed that one poor mother and baby a duty of care.

We do get postnatal visits, but these are being really cut back due to lack of midwives. It used to be daily visits for 10 days as a routine, but now it has really reduced. I got 2 visits after being discharged and I'd had a 3rd degree tear and 2 units of blood plus my daughter had been under the bili lights and was having real trouble breastfeeding. So while it is a lot better than nothing it is still far from adequate.

Looking forward to the next issue

Mary

#34 of 42 Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Just read through my issue and loved the article on formula bags.
I got one from my midwives (!) the first time around. Luckily by the second child they had stopped handing them out.
My son had formula once and it was due to that stupid bag. I had the formula in the house because of it and it was my first couple nights with a newborn who wasn't latching properly.
#35 of 42 Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 PM

I loved the article on babyfood. We're doing self-feeding here and through this I have discovered DD likes all kinds of textures and tastes. It was great to read an article on a healthy alternative to store bought rice cereal.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#36 of 42 Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
I loved the article on babyfood. We're doing self-feeding here and through this I have discovered DD likes all kinds of textures and tastes. It was great to read an article on a healthy alternative to store bought rice cereal.
Same here!

It would be great to see a future article on baby-led feeding.

Have you seen the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yet?
#37 of 42 Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 AM

I'll be honest, I am not (currently) a subscriber to Mothering. A friend gave me a bunch of her old copies. I've loved some articles and been irritated by others. Then a couple of weeks ago, standing in the grocery line I picked up the March-April copy, flicked it open and it landed on the Masking Maternal Mortality article. I started to read and within seconds, and again now 2 weeks later, was a sobbing mess. Right there in the grocery line! At the end of the first page I closed the magazine, not wanting to go on, but just closing the magazine didn't make the truth stop existing. So I bought my first copy of Mothering.

The article is extremely powerful. The image of the young woman and her baby who died so needlessly will stay with me for a very long time. When we read something like this I think we subconsiously search for something that makes the victim different from us, anything so that we can pretend that it won't happen to us. The article does a magnificent job of forcing us to recognize that it could happen to ANY WOMAN, ANY CHILD, ANY FAMILY and that it happens at an unacceptable rate here in the US. My English mother was horrified to hear that there was effectively no postpartum care here in AZ. The lack of care prompted her to send money so we could employ a postpartum doula, but I am one of the fortunate to be able to afford such a 'luxury'.

This article has shaken me to my core. I've started talking to people about this issue. I would dearly like more guidance as to how I can be an activist on this matter. I applaud Ina May Gaskin for not making it about hospital vs. home birth which I have seen in discussion in some blogs. For some of us with extreme health issues a home birth would never be a choice, and we need postpartum care too. Thank you Mothering. Thank you Ina May Gaskin.
#38 of 42 Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 PM

I loved the CD articles (something I'm planning to do) and the "Ban the Bags" article. I haven't even been to the hospital yet and already got a bunch of marketing crap (including formula coupons) from my OB group. I was so pissed when that happened and now I know I'm not alone!
#39 of 42 Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM

i really loved the article on Cloth Diapering...I'd been contemplating cloth diapering since my LO was born but was a little too overwhelmed and that article really convinced me and my DH that cloth was the way to go.

And the Ban the Bags article was very telling... as I was cleaning out a closet & found one of the bags I was given at the hospital... its like sabotage- totally undermining all the best intentions of a breast feeding new mother, who in a hour of weakness or breast feeding difficulties might just cave in & use those samples...

anyway, i'm rambling, but I just love, love, love the magazine & the MDC...it feels like i found my home...albeit in cyberspace!

proud : mama of Baby Roc born 6/07 :

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#40 of 42 Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 AM

I enjoyed "Ban the Bags" and the cloth diapering articles a lot. The Maternal Mortality article had a HUGE impact on me. I thought it was a very important subject to be educated on, but the thought of that poor mama and her baby dying so needlessly continues to haunt me.
#41 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM

I really enjoyed the "Living Treasure" on Marilyn Milos. I had ~no~ idea she had her boys circumcised. It was an eye opener. I wish more people knew the cost males have to bear for this heinous practice to be continued. I think maybe a new article on circ would be good, maybe one about all those new AIDS studies and how inaccurate they are.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#42 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The cloth diapering article was great. CDing is so confusing to a newbie.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page