What articles and features of Mothering issue 147 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the March/April 2008 issue 147 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote here for the articles you enjoyed in issue 147. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 147.

These are the articles and features in issue 147 that you may rate:
  • A Quiet Place: A Birth Renaissance (Peggy O'Mara's Editorial)
  • Your Letters
  • Bulletins
  • On Being a Parenting Original
  • Fall of the Fairies
  • Dumping Disposable Diapers
  • The ABCs of Going Cloth
  • Evading the Evidence
  • Masking Maternal Mortality
  • Ban the Bags
  • Fresh First Foods
  • Strokes of Genius
  • Living Treasure

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum so you can comment further on the current issue.

Peggy will be reading these comments, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine and post a link to it.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was SO happy to see Cloth Diaper Comeback on the cover that I grabbed this issue right away.
I am going to cd our newest arrival (edd 7/28/08) and I am quite the novice. Both of the articles (Dumping Disposable Diapers and the ABCs of going cloth) were fantastic!!! I feel much more informed and not nearly as nervous about going cloth.
Thank you for a wonderful magazine!!! : I wish I would have found this when my first three were born!!
#3 of 42 Old 03-03-2008, 03:20 AM

I was absolutely appalled with the "Masking Maternal Mortality"!!! It angered me so much that in a nation with the kind of health care we have that women are dying senselessly by something that could have been prevented!!!! I know that some deaths there is nothing that anyone can do (amniotic fluid embolism), but hemorraging?

I cried reading that article...and now I want to do something about it...but have no clue on where to start. I wish Ina May Gaskin would have given sources/places/people to contact to push for demanding better post partum care for mothers (mainly hospital birthing mothers as they are sent home and no one looks in on them...and no appts to see a doctor are set until 6-8 weeks later).

It was a very informative article...and extremely sad, and extremely angering...but extremely needed.

I also liked the cloth diapering one...I need to get some more cloth diapers for my son.

Evading the Evidence by David Kirby was also a very good read.

In fact, I rarely pick up a Mothering Mag that isn't loaded with good articles.

#4 of 42 Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I really enjoyed the "Ban The Bags" article on the "free" formula bags distributed to new mothers. My SIL just gave birth on Feb 25, and she went home with not one, but two bags! She asked for another one and the hospital gave it to her. She has refused to breastfeed at all. Not even try. It's very frustrating and sad to witness.

I plan to refuse the free bag and will include it in my birthplan. I never realized how harmful they really are to nursing mothers or their "real" cost. Thanks Mothering!
#5 of 42 Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 AM

The whole issue was very strong; I always love letters and the little photos but what really grabbed me was the information about Marilyn Milos and NOCIRC. It was so exciting to realize that the circ rate in the US has dropped to 57%! Still only halfway there, but still; nice to know.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#6 of 42 Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Fantastic! This was my very first issue of Mothering, thanks to my friend Christine (crwilson). I can't believe I didn't read it sooner. I couldn't put the entire issue down.

The maternal mortality article by Ina May Gaskin was fascinating.
#7 of 42 Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 AM

Loved the whole issue. One of the strongest I've read in awhile - gave me plenty of things to get pissed off about (which I love! Gets my juices flowing!)

My favorites were:
# Evading the Evidence
# Masking Maternal Mortality
# Ban the Bags

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
#8 of 42 Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

This was a great issue! I loved the Cloth Diaper articles--it wasn't new info to me, but stuff I'm looking forward to passing on to others.
The Maternal Mortality article was very disturbing. I went to bed that night imagining the baby's cries as the mother could not help, and the fear she must as felt once she realized what was happening. It's absolutely appalling, and the article brought so much to light.
The Fairys article was so sweet.....just nicely written and touching.
Being a Parenting Original was also great, but a quick read.
I had never thought about the Formula Bags, and actually looked forward to getting my "free" diaper bag when I had my second....never connected the dots. And imagine, we supplimented with GoodStart with DS because that was our bag, and Emfamil with DD, again, what was in our bag...I feel like such a sucker!
And finally, I enjoyed the Birth Renaissance editorial, especially as someone getting ready to birth in a birth center with midwives after two hospital births.
Mothering Magazine just validates me in so many ways! I love it!
#9 of 42 Old 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM

I loved the cloth diaper articles - but of course I would...

The Mother Mortality article was disturbing because of the dead baby at the start of it. I would have liked to have been warned about that so I could have avoided reading that part. As it was, I was unable to finish the article because I was too disturbed. I actually have avoided this issue after reading that. I know it's important information, and this poor woman and her child should be remembered. But I would really have appreciated knowing what was in there before reading it, and I can't be the only one.

Other than that, great issue.
#10 of 42 Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM

I enjoyed the diapering article as I use cloth diapers with my little one. However, I was really disappointed that there was no mention of Elimination Communication, which I feel is a great way to use cloth diapers and to harmonize and bond with your baby, as well as enabling us to use fewer resources. I would really like to see an article about EC in Mothering Magazine and I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet, as it seems to be very much in line with the overall philosophy of the magazine.

Lydia
#11 of 42 Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Just when I start feeling overwhelmed as a mama, Mothering comes in the mail.....aaaahhhhhh! I only wish it was monthly. I loved how precise the cloth diaper articles were, the "Fall of the Fairies" was touching, and "Being a Parenting Original" felt affirming. The only piece I have a complaint about is the "Fresh First Foods". Every recipe contained salt, which seemed unnecessary!

-Aimee
#12 of 42 Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM

I really enjoyed the whole magazine (as I usually do).

The Cloth Diaper articles were well written and concise, and I love trying to guess what was hanging on the "clothesline" in the pics.

"Fall of the Fairies" made me cry, and debate with a friend whether or not we would have said the same thing to a child.

I would have liked some information about "baby-led solids" included in the "First Fresh Foods" article. I'm not interested in doing purees.

All in all, another fantastic read from Mothering. (I'm so happy to get this magazine)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM

More more more ! I love mothering however it's always too short. Can't mothering have an extra large issue once a year ( or more ? ) Always informative and an interesting read.
#14 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjasmine View Post
I enjoyed the diapering article as I use cloth diapers with my little one. However, I was really disappointed that there was no mention of Elimination Communication, which I feel is a great way to use cloth diapers and to harmonize and bond with your baby, as well as enabling us to use fewer resources. I would really like to see an article about EC in Mothering Magazine and I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet, as it seems to be very much in line with the overall philosophy of the magazine.

Lydia
I have to agree with this. It makes absolutely no sense to me that nothing about EC was mentioned whatsoever. It seems weird to me that NPR and MSNBC will cover this topic but not a magazine like Mothering that I love because of it's great content on natural parenting. What is more natural than allowing your infant to eliminate away from his/her body? Women who are into cloth diapering would be receptive to this info I think. Or at east it would be good for them to know about it anyway. I believe it is honestly the most enviro-friendly way to handle elimination needs. I would love to see Mothering do an article on this that would show it from all angles--part-timers to full-timers to people with multiple kids to people with kids with disabilities. All of those types of ECers are right here on the EC forum. It would also be nice to see an interview of one of the EC gurus too.

Other than the diaper article, I loved the whole issue especially the hospital bags one and the one by Ina.
#15 of 42 Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaj71 View Post
More more more ! I love mothering however it's always too short. Can't mothering have an extra large issue once a year ( or more ? ) Always informative and an interesting read.
I feel the same way...it seems that the end cover just comes so soon!

With the cloth diapers coming to 'mainstream' I'm surprised by how many people don't know about them and assume it's still done exclusively with flats/prefold and plastic pants. I'm also surprised by how almost ALL disposable users do not know to put solid waste into the toilet. I am a cloth diaper user and retailer and even I was so EXCITED to read every word in this article. I even loved that the cover photo was a baby in a cloth cover that was USED not a brand spankin' new one...it had the cute fresh from the washer fuzzies on it.

I was also brought to tears with the stories of the poor woman who died so soon after experiencing the best time of their life. I am still saddened that they died when they didn't have to ... but I try to see the light in the fact that they made it to the end of the pregnancy and they had what little time they did with their babies and got to gaze into their eyes. I recently watched The Business of Being Born and after watching that and the store in magazine I really do fear for the woman of the US.

Ban the Bags--RIGHT on. I received SOOOO many free gifts after having my son 6 weeks ago it was insane. BUT I have to say though that my bag was missing formula samples AND the coupons---they removed that as I told them I was going to breastfeed EXCLUSIVELY and the hospital does support that. I wonder though if had I not said that if I would have gone home with a few more pounds of 'free' gifts.
I'd love it if my local hospital started giving out the Mothering magazine gift bags instead.

Also--I'd love to see something new with all the concern with plastics in baby products. I haven't seen the other recent issues before the cloth one so I'm not sure if this was covered but it's something very confusing with all the plastic types and how everything seems to be plastic...and suggestions for affordable alternatives like bamboo bowls and stainless steel cups

Proud Mom of 3 Boys expecting boy #4 June 2012 - Founder of Dinker & Giggles - http://DinkerAndGiggles.com
Doula - Babywearing Activist - Lactation & Childbirth Educator [In-Training]

#16 of 42 Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 AM

I love the articles on cloth diapering. I hope more and more families will turn to cloth. Next we need an issue on wool soakers - using them, making them, etc. Wool is so wonderful because every bit of it is natural and will decompose completely. Love the mag!

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#17 of 42 Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed Being a Parenting Original ... I believe the author's husband is my second cousin! We share the same unusual last name, and the same geographic area for family of that name... I was so shocked to see 'my' surname in Mothering!!
#18 of 42 Old 03-22-2008, 04:44 AM

I enjoyed the cloth diapering article.

Samara
#19 of 42 Old 03-22-2008, 11:38 AM

I really enjoyed Fall of the Fairies, as so much of the article hit home to me. Having just gone through this last year with my son, I must say I will go through it again when my daughter grows older.
#20 of 42 Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It should more accurately be called Mothering Babies and Toddlers because there is always so much about birth, diapering, breastfeeding, etc. Yes, all of that is important, but my kids are school-age, and there's only an occasional "token" article about older children.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#21 of 42 Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM

I loved the articles on cloth diapering and ban the bags...as a mom who was offered a bag and refused, I have alot of interst in removing formula bags, and perhaps putting in REALLY breastfeeding friendly bags!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#22 of 42 Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM

I really enjoyed the cloth diaper article. I am due with my first early June and knew I wanted to CD. But I was so confused as where to start--this really opened my eyes to all the options out there. SO thank you! Especially since another magazine did a CD article and made it sound very negative, it is nice to read something that was well researched and not written to please the advertisers.
#23 of 42 Old 03-28-2008, 04:59 AM

The cloth diapering articles were very timely for me as I had just made the decision to switch to cloth, but was still feeling overwhelmed by all the options. The articles really helped clear things up for me.
#24 of 42 Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM

What can I say, this was such a timely issue for me! I read Mothering primarily to get ideas on how to live better. These articles were especially helpful in my daily life:

Dumping Disposable Diapers
The ABCs of Going Cloth
On Being a Parenting Original

And "Fall of the Fairies" made me smile.

Amanda - Wife to Will,Mom to Kevin (2), and his brother or sister, due in May 2010
#25 of 42 Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM

I like the Ban the Bag article. I took home a hospital bag , just thinking, "cool- something free!" I don't even know why... I gave away the formula and have never used the bag. But next time around, I know the harms and will definitely refuse it!!

I also like the cloth diaper article. I just wish it came out a few months earlier when we were learning about cloth diapers for our new DD. I had no idea there were so many out there!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#26 of 42 Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 AM

I'm all about cloth diapers, wtg! I wish more moms knew the benefits and cuteness factors of cloth!!

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#27 of 42 Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Has anyone heard of a "pro-breastfeeding" bag? I work in a hospital where we distribute the "bags" if moms want them, but I'd love to have an alternative that is truly "pro-breastfeeding". The bags we have (Good Start) are marked Breastfeeding or Bottle-feeding but I'm not sure the difference as they both have a container of dry formula.

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
#28 of 42 Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM

I love Mothering Magazine. The March/April issue is a perfect example of why I love mothering magazine. I wish I would have known about it with my first child. I keep all of the issues in my client lending library.

As far as this issue specifically I enjoyed "A quiet place" because as a Doula I think it is so important for the issue of unnecessary cesareans to be talked about.

If I didn't already know so much about cloth diapering I think this issue would have been amazingly helpful in motivating me to give it a try, so I was glad to see this article since it may help people who are wanting to make the switch. The information given about cloth diapering was very thorough.

The Ban the Bags article was great!

My favorite articles were "Living Treasure" and "Evading the Evidence".
#29 of 42 Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 PM

I hope it's okay to say this here (I'm a newcomer) but "ban the bags" reminds me that I was given free samples of formula and someone suggested that the formula could be put to good use by having the mother drink it. I did try it and it wasn't too bad. I certainly didn't want my baby taking it any other way.
#30 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

I would rather see the CD articles maybe be in a special pull out or a special (additional) issue. I can see the value in publishing it. You can pass it along to a pregnant friend but you are preaching to the choir IMO.

I always love reading Peggy's articles and it's the first place I go to every time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page