What articles and features of Mothering issue 148 did you enjoy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 41 Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mothering would like your opinion on the articles you enjoyed most in the May/June 2008 issue 148 of Mothering Magazine. Please vote here for the articles you enjoyed in issue 148. Feel free to post your input about the articles as well as other things you might like to share about issue 148.

These are the articles and features in issue 148 that you may rate:
  • A Quiet Place: Where's Joseph? (Peggy O'Mara's Editorial)
  • Your Letters
  • Bulletins
  • Mommy Rituals
  • Stories, Songs, and Snacks
  • Real Girl vs. Real World
  • Righteous Babe y Mama - Interview with Ani DiFranco
  • Pumping Nine to Five
  • The Never-at-Home Homeschoolers
  • Getcha Grub On
  • Joy to the World - Media Review
  • Strokes of Genius - Product Review
  • Living Treasure - Allan Shedlin

Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts and opinions.

Please keep in mind the forum guidelines when posting

Quote:
**IMPORTANT PLEASE READ**
Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Mothering Magazine would like your opinion. We've created this forum so you can comment further on the current issue.

Peggy will be reading these comments, so this is a great opportunity for everyone to give their thoughts and opinions on the current issue of the magazine. We will create a poll for each issue of the Magazine and post a link to it.

Please note
  • This forum is ONLY for polls on the current issue of Mothering Magazine.
  • Only one post per member, per poll.
  • Please do not attempt to start threads in this forum as it is moderated and they will be deleted without notice.
  • Please keep your posts on topic with the poll; this is not a place to air your grievances or chitchat.
  • Please do not quote or comment on another members post. We are interested in your personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would have to say I enjoyed the homeschooling piece. It just made me excited, and confirmed my belief that homeschooling was for me, I was home schooled, and I loved it. I plan on homeschooling my children someday.
There is right way to home school and a not so right way. As long as the child is getting socialization in other ways besides a classroom, then it's a wonderful thing. I feel that instead of my child becoming friends with people because they are forced to be shoved in a classroom together, I would rather my children make friends with people who share their common interests because that is where they would meet their friends. Playing sports, at the library, at the museum, etc.
#3 of 41 Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM

the ani piece, definitely!

#4 of 41 Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM

I loved the entire issue, but the Ani piece was my favorite!
#5 of 41 Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM

I'm sending copies of Real Girl vs. Real World to my sisters who have daughters. I thought it was an excellent summation of the research which has been done regarding the social/cultural situation facing girls today.

Also - in re: the "Finding Joseph" article - two men I would suggest for the upcoming interviews would be:

Noah Wyle (I am assuming they are an NP type family since they are so involved with the "Happiest Baby" books)

Alton Brown - a Food Network personality who I suspect may be APish. He definitely is very strong regarding locally grown/organic, and a few of his episodes have commented on human milk/cow's milk in a glancing way. You'd probably need to research to ensure he's a good fit, but I hope he is.

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 41 Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM

I loved the never at home homeschoolers. We're starting to lean more toward unschooling, or natural learning, and God lead us to this article at the right time! It gave me such a piece of mind and helped me let go a little. I feel the article has the ability to speak to a variety of homeschoolers, no matter what the method! It was really inspiring.
#7 of 41 Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM

I love Peggy's editorial "Where's Joseph?" a single dad friend said how much he loved mothering mag. but feels slighted by the name. It's fine with me but I can appriciate his feeling left out.
I also wanted to know why you publish some of the replies in "Your Letters". I don't think that this magizine is for everyone and it has a responsibility to the faithful readers to support and discuss alternative parenting life situations and ideals. If you want something gentler go read Parenting or some other main stream mag. If we do not talk about no circ, homebirth, no/selected vacs, local/ organic foods, carsenogens in personal products, etc. WHO ELSE WILL?
Eileen
Downingtown, PA

wife and teacher, WOHM to A whistling.gif'02, Cdust.gif'05, and W  Sheepish.gif'07
#8 of 41 Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM

If I could add another suggestion of a possible Dad to profile - Mark Thomas, husband of Brenda Frese, the women's basketball coach at Maryland. She gave birth to twins vaginally this spring, and he is a stay-at-home-dad for their twins. I again have no idea what their family parenting philosophy is, or will evolve to become, but he might be interesting to research a bit.

Not all who wander are lost.
#9 of 41 Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM

I really liked the interview with Ani. It was very inspiring.

Jessie
(single mommy to Angela, 3 years:and Emma, our angel in heaven)
::::

We are a pro-nursing family!:::
#10 of 41 Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM

...was my favorite.

:
#11 of 41 Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 AM

Ani Difranco...It was great to see an artist I was a huge fan of when I was a teen talking about being a mom. For some reason I thought she'd talk about being ready to be a mom vs not (she has a song about her abortion at 17) but I guess that's a little dark and not the stuff for a parenting mag.

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#12 of 41 Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 PM

I was so, so, so incredibly excited to see Miss Ani D. on the cover of Mothering. Two of my favorite things all smushed together. And to hear Ani's homebirth story was just the icing on the cake. I called my best friend right away (meaning the second I left the mailbox) to let her know Ani was in Mothering. She doesn't have a subscription, but I'm sure that has changed now!
#13 of 41 Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM

My favourite article was the Ani Difranco interview. I'm a huge fan of hers and was thrilled to see her on the cover.

Next was the pumping 9-to-5 article. Excellent advice and a great resource. I will be referring back to it in the future for certain (well, hopefully).

As always, I devoured the whole issue cover-to-cover within a few days now I'm patiently : waiting for my next one. I wish Mothering came every month....

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#14 of 41 Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 PM

I love the pumping 9-5 article and the real girl vs real world article.

I was NOT pleased to see the ad for Milkin Mamas "milk-bank," which is a for-profit milk bank that sells donated milk to a company that manufactures fortifier.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#15 of 41 Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM

Still reading it. I loved Mommy Rituals.
#16 of 41 Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

I loved the real girls article and the homeschooling article.

It really bothered me to see the ad for the for profit milk bank.
#17 of 41 Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM

I so miss getting my own issues and was so thrilled to see Ani and her family on the cover of my MIL's copy. She saw my face and asked, "Wanna borrow it?!" with a big grin. I think she could tell I was coveting her copy a bit (as was DH, who has a small thing for miss DiFranco....).

I loved the interview with Ani. Always great to "hear" her wise words. Her wisdom and wit are so spot on with where I am in my life (seems they always have been, too).

I really appreciated the article about girls growing up in such a contradictory world. This was very much how things were for me 30 years ago. Being an athlete whom often competed against boys, it was always a challenge to still be considered a girl among them. I see my DD (now 3) as a great balance of both genders thus far. She can quickly switch between nasty pirate or conquering Knight and graceful ballerina or charming fairy. At this moment, she is seated on the couch reading a story to her friend H (a young boy), and they are both enjoying her version of a fairytale. Oh wait, now it's a book about baseball (at which she is becoming quite good).

Thanks, Mothering! I will continue to steal--er, borrow--MIL's copies with pleasure!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#18 of 41 Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM

I just wanted to say that this is the best issue in a long time. I loved that there were articles for post baby mamas like myself. The mommy ritual article was my favorite, and I did like the homeschooling article a lot because it was fresh. Thanks again for some interesting reads that really nourish my soul.
#19 of 41 Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 PM

I loved "Where's Joseph?"
#20 of 41 Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Mommy Rituals was my favorite piece from this issue. I definately needed to read it at the time.
#21 of 41 Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 AM

Real Girl vs. Real World was my fav. I thought this issue was the best one in quite a while.
#22 of 41 Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 PM

This is a great issue that the whole family enjoyed. We, of course, loved Ani (& her partner on the cover) but also appreciated Where's Joseph, Real Girl vs Real World, and getcha grub on. I, personally, appreciated the mommy rituals article.
#23 of 41 Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 PM

The Ani article. Especially where she describes her freedom with homebirth (the stairs!). That cracked me up.

And the pumping article. Will come in handy as I start planning for my new arrival this fall (and back to work in Jan).
#24 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ela* View Post
I loved "Where's Joseph?"
Me too!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#25 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 07:59 PM

I really liked these:
  • Real Girl vs. Real World
  • Righteous Babe y Mama - Interview with Ani DiFranco
  • Pumping Nine to Five
  • Where's Joseph (my DH loved this)

--lots of love from one busy momma of 4 & loving wife of 1--
#26 of 41 Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 AM

I really liked the homeschool article and the Real Girl v. Real world.

In fact, it would be interesting to read a similar article examining the effects of media, expectations and the "world" on boys, as well. I think the pressures are different, but there... as a mama of boys and girls, I'd like to have this kind of article to think through issues with my boys, as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~~~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#27 of 41 Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM

The homeschool article was super encouraging to me! Thanks so much! It came at a time when I really needed to hear it.

Yay Homeschooling!
#28 of 41 Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM

Really loved it TOO!!!!
#29 of 41 Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM

We don't have a subscription yet, but I purchased the magazine at the news stand because Ani was on the cover. I really enjoyed the editorial "Where's Joseph, and DH appreciated it as well. I love involved daddies :-)
#30 of 41 Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM

loved real girl vs. real world. as an elementary school teacher i thought it was right on! i also loved the homeschooling artcle. it was inspiring.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page