What articles and features of Mothering issue 151 did you enjoy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What articles and features of Mothering issue 151 did you enjoy?
A Quiet Place: Keeping it Simple 16 100.00%
Your Letters 21 100.00%
Bulletins 3 23.08%
Art of Mothering: Mom I'm Gay 36 100.00%
Out of the Closet--Now What? 24 100.00%
A Child's World: Surburban Walkabout 23 100.00%
Ways of Learning: Forest for a Classroom 59 100.00%
Peggy's Kitchen: Cupcake Heaven 9 69.23%
Cool Stuff: In My Book of Dreams 7 53.85%
Living Treasure: Audrey Naylor 6 46.15%
The Long Goodbye to Toxic Toys 39 100.00%
Real Boys Play With Dolls 68 100.00%
Born of the Storm 35 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was fascinated by Ways of Learning: Forest for a Classroom. Do you think there's any way we could get the authour to have a webchat? I started a thread about it in the Toddlers forum and there seem to be a few of us who are very interested adapting the idea to our own children but would like concrete input and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM

I liked the Real boys Play with Dolls article and I love hearing the fathering perspective. I also really liked the "Mom, I'm Gay" article and it's companion.

I do want to echo what some of the others have said about the toy info in this issue. I really disliked that there were tons of pictures but no real info. It did seem like a big ad section. I'd like to learn more about how to choose non-toxic toys such as what bad things to watch out for, and what good things are worth spending more money on. What was the criteria for choosing the toys in the article? How can we find toys like this locally without adding to our carbon footprint by shipping them from all over? It just seemed like a poorly designed project.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien
#33 of 40 Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 AM

In the last few issues I've found myself growing away from Mothering mag, it just hasn't been interesting to me. However, this issue I've almost read cover to cover! I really enjoyed it! My fav article was the Forest for a Classroom, I can't seem to quit talking about it with everyone. I'd love to start something like that with my children and a few of their peers.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#34 of 40 Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 AM

the forest classroom inspired me soooo much. i make a point to go out in any weather all bundled up this fall. the girls are happier at it than i am honestly. as much as i love being outside, i just get cold!

but we are having fun raking leaves, building nest for dd to be a bird and playing.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#35 of 40 Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I really enjoyed Peggy's quiet place. I usually enjoy this, but this particular issue really stands out for me. :
Hey my quote made it into the mag for Jan!! :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#36 of 40 Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM

My faves this issue were Forest for a Classroom and the Toys one. Now that my dd is 3 I love to find articles relating to not just infant issues - tho those are def an important foundation of who Mothering is in my opinion. But it's nice to have stuff for those of us who are beyond birth, nursing and diapers.

More well cited scientific info on the preschool age would be great. How does attachment change at this age, making school choices (homeschooling for us - but still would be great to see how other people come to their choices or statistics of outcomes of various schooling methods), family bed past infancy/toddler hood, that sort of thing

I'd espec like to see articles on gentle discipline for preschool and toddler ages - espec after seeing a lot of both AP and mainstream moms lately who think it's perfectly fine for their 3 to 5 yr olds to hit, kick, talk mean to other kids "because they are just babies and will outgrow it on their own".

I also see lot of moms struggling with breastfeeding manners in their 1+ yr olds. Some articles on easing from that infant stage where everything the baby does is ok to giving gentle boundaries would be great!
#37 of 40 Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Some articles on easing from that infant stage where everything the baby does is ok to giving gentle boundaries would be great!
:

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#38 of 40 Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM

While I really liked and agreed with Forest for a Classroom, I really disliked when the author made such generalizations about Americans and the way our kids are raised. While I agree that there is way too much media saturation in our society and that keeping kids away from television is a good thing, I am so tired of the judgmental tone of some articles and parents. I think the author could have made her point without putting down families that do things a different way. After attending regular public school for 3 years, my daughter now goes to a school that sounds very much like the schools described in the article. While I am very happy that i am able to send her to this new school, I can honestly say that the children at her new school are not any more imaginative or creative than the children at her old school. I would love mothering to feature articles that talk about the positive of raising children in certain ways (such as co-sleeping and getting rid of toys that do not nurture our children) without putting down people who make different choices for their children.
#39 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasandhadleysmom View Post
While I really liked and agreed with Forest for a Classroom, I really disliked when the author made such generalizations about Americans and the way our kids are raised. While I agree that there is way too much media saturation in our society and that keeping kids away from television is a good thing, I am so tired of the judgmental tone of some articles and parents. I think the author could have made her point without putting down families that do things a different way.
I didn't get the impression that the article was putting down other families or other ways of doing things, to me it more seemed to be pointing it out, and from the author's perspective.
And to be honest, I quite agreed. I see more and more children who are lacking in 'imaginative' play and the ability to do things in a new way. It seems to be getting worse with each new generation (I noticed it a lot growing up and playing in the '90s as a child, and now as a parent I am even more attuned to it as I feel like I can't think up new and different things to do with DD)
That article in particular I really enjoyed in the Nov-Dec issue.
The other is tied in with it, at least to me, and that is the natural toys article. I am wanting very much to buy DD something non-toxic and safe for her birthday, and also something that inspires creativity. I realized as I was looking at a typical fisher-price kitchen set... That really each thing only does so much over and over, and doesn't seem like it would inspire creative play. Let alone what it is made of... DH seems to keep sliding into that 'but it's wood... it doesn't make noise or do anything. Isn't it going to be boring??' state of mind, even after reading the article
As some mothers have already posted, I do wish the article had taken costs into account! I understand you get what you pay for, but even then, for one toy to cost an excessive amount is a bit of a damper on my plans.
#40 of 40 Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 AM

Hi,
I appreciate the author's work. He has done a great work.

joe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page