totally freaking out: lead paint - Mothering Forums

#1 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, we're basically huge idiots. :

there's an extension on our house that leads to our yard. it's a sunroom of sorts -- a really beautiful room of all windows but because it's not insulated or heated, we could only use it a few months out of the year. when we got pregnant, we decided we would renovate it to change our apt from a 2-bedroom (we are using one bedroom as a study) to a 3-bedroom (so we could keep the study, since we both work primarily from home).

well, it never occurred to us that the room was completely painted in lead-based paint! so andy and his dad took down all the windows and doors, and knocked down a pillar, all without even having the thought process to take precautions against lead dust. the room was cut off from the rest of the house, and i haven't been in it, but when i realized the potential of lead paint and did some research, i realized they've been doing everything wrong, like not wetting things down before taking them apart, vaccuuming constantly instead of damp-mopping, and walking through the house afterwards without taking off their clothes or shoes. ugh! luckily i've been out of the house a lot, but still...it's clear that i've definitely been exposed. i went NUTS yesterday and cleaned everything with an appropriate cleaner (which was annoying because i use all-natural cleansers) and we washed the cats (who had been running through that room at night, duh) and andy now knows how to take more precautions, but...i'm really freaked out.

the silver lining is that in the next week or so, the sunroom will be completely renovated and we won't ever have to worry about lead paint again (the rest of the house was completely gutted before we moved in). plus all of the demo work is done -- now it's just installing the ceilings and finishing putting up the sheetrock, etc. plus our diet is really good - high in iron and calcium -- so i'm hoping i didn't absorb too much of it. and the research we've done does point to the fact that this would be a lot more serious if i was in the first tri. but i'm really scared we harmed our little baby. : i just feel like such an ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
omg! i'm so glad you found out it is lead paint, though...and glad to hear you are changing it...maybe you would benefit by getting your blood all tested for lead poisoning, just to ease your mind???

hugs.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#3 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, dear.

i have an appointment with my midwife on the 24th so we will ask her what she thinks we should do. from what i understand my levels will probably be on the higher side now but should go down once the work is done, so i don't know if i should get tested now (it will either put my mind at ease or TOTALLY bug me out) or next month to see what the lasting effects have been. i also don't want to have to deal with the health dept if my levels are high and i don't know what the protocols are for that -- it's a huge pain in the ass (my aunt had to deal with it at some point) and since we know the paint will be gone in the next week or two i really don't want to get anybody else involved at this stage in the game.

#4 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Yikes. :
I'd see what your mw thinks, and if she wants you to get tested, you should wait a week or two. Its hard to wait but it will be more appropriate to see if you have it staying in your system. Since you have a good diet, I think that's just as important.
Did you do a test on the paint to be sure its lead based or are you figuring by dates, etc. that it is? As long as you get it out of your house soon, which you are doing, it wouldn't be too bad anyway. Lead has to build up in your system over time so the relatively short term that you've been around it (limited) might not be too bad anyway.

Proud mommy to DDs (12/04) and (11/07)
#5 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM

I can totally understand your freaking out and your not wanting to run right out and call attention to it. What a pain and worry! My understanding is that the real damage would be in the 1st tri plus repeated, high exposure for any tri. Sounds like this is all coming and going fast and hopefully will be just fine. Ugh!!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for your support. i really need reassurance right now.

we did do a home test, which is not totally reliable, but it came up positive for lead. we weren't surprised since the addition was constructed by the original owner in the 50s or so...

i was thinking the same thing re: testing in a few weeks. luckily, i've only been exposed for about 1.5wks now, and most of the real worrisome stuff is over. i mean, we'll probably kick up a bit more dust now but a much more limited amount and we know better how to deal with it. things will be all done in the next coupla weeks.

i mean, i am slightly worried about long-term exposure since i've lived here for six years...but i never spent a particularly huge amount of time in that room, we never did anything that would really create a whole lot of dust, AND it's not like i was eating the paint off the walls. it just never occurred to us to worry about it, as i moved in when i was 21 and lead paint was the last thing on my mind!
#7 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
I can totally understand your freaking out and your not wanting to run right out and call attention to it. What a pain and worry! My understanding is that the real damage would be in the 1st tri plus repeated, high exposure for any tri. Sounds like this is all coming and going fast and hopefully will be just fine. Ugh!!
thanks, gina!

i am trying not to freak too too much. i've read A LOT of studies and info over the past 48 hours and my brain is totally reeling! some of it was totally horrifying and some was really reassuring, esp. since i'm in the 2nd tri and it's not like i was doing the renovations myself. in fact, i rarely if ever even entered the workspace...of course dh's boots tromping all over the house was really, really dumb. :

i ordered some floradix for us both to take. i keep fretting about andy and the effects on him...i'm like "don't wreck your sperm, we need siblings for this baby!" the nice news is that at the end of my first tri -- after not taking any prenatals for about 2 months because of bad m/s (i just took b-supplements w/ folic, plus c and calcium) AND when my diet wasn't as good as it usually is, for the same reason -- my iron levels were great! so that's relieving since my diet's 100% back to normal for the past 10 weeks or so (and any "exposure" has been in the last 1.5 weeks) and i imagine that can only help. we eat a really good, organic, very varied and very fresh diet -- thank goodness for me being a scary-robot-disciplined cook!

i'm just super glad this will all be gone before our sprite arrives.
#8 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 PM

I think the baby is just snug as a bug in a safe mama shell and all will be okay. Good luck!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#9 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Robina! How very scary indeed. I'm with Gina, I'm sure everything is just fine.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#10 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lindsey* View Post
Robina! How very scary indeed. I'm with Gina, I'm sure everything is just fine.

thank you! i sure hope so. it's just so hard to know what to think, how worried to be, etc.
#11 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 PM

I've been in your shoes, believe it or not...

We've gutted a house in the past, and I know there was lead. We did the ENTIRE house...we were young, and cheap :

I remember freaking out as well, but only after the "damage" was done...we both got tested, and we were completely fine. I really think its more of a constant, repeated exposure that can do the most harm.

Your doing the right things now...watch your diet, etc. If it makes you feel any better, just think about when we were kids, and they took no precautions at all...and we turned out ok. Think of all the lead in toys we played with, in stuff we ate off of, etc.

s!
#12 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
I've been in your shoes, believe it or not...

We've gutted a house in the past, and I know there was lead. We did the ENTIRE house...we were young, and cheap :

I remember freaking out as well, but only after the "damage" was done...we both got tested, and we were completely fine. I really think its more of a constant, repeated exposure that can do the most harm.

Your doing the right things now...watch your diet, etc. If it makes you feel any better, just think about when we were kids, and they took no precautions at all...and we turned out ok. Think of all the lead in toys we played with, in stuff we ate off of, etc.

s!
kelli,

i was hoping you'd show up on this thread -- i saw your name on one of the ollllld humungo lead threads on the "health and healing" forum. i am so glad to know that you are fine. what kind of renovations did you do?

we are not sooo young (27 and 28!) but definitely cheap -- as phd students there was no way we'd ever be able to hire professionals who would really know how to handle this.

as soon as this is done, we are going to SCOUR the house top to bottom and try to get it ridiculously dust-free. i'm going to recruit my mom because she's totally ocd. luckily we are rearranging almost the whole house (and putting in new wood floors in 3/5 rooms) so we will have empty spaces to clean. but that's the only way i can see this being a prolonged exposure (residual dust that would've had to make it into the main part of the house) -- otherwise, as i've said, the renovations are pretty short-term.

thank you so, so much for your reassurance.
#13 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Eek! I'd be scared too but I'm sure you're okay. I'd mention it to the midwife and see if she wants you to be tested for lead poisoning but I really do think you're okay unless you were chewing on paint chips.
#14 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
s mama. I'm sure everything will be alright, it must be nerve wracking to think of the possibilities, though. Take a good warm bath and relax and calm your nerves. As others have mentioned, I really think it's the long term exposure you have to worry about, and since you haven't had that, I think everything will work out. In the mean time, just keep doing what you're doing. Keep healthy, eat well, and keep growing your munchkin.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#15 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 12:09 AM

Yikes! I'm so sorry Robina! I wouldn't freak out too much--its not like this was your bedroom or kitchen--you exposure was probably very limited. Hang in there and keep us posted!!
#16 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

thank you lexi, jenn, and googy for the support! you gals are definitely making me feel better. it's just such a bummer this wonderful nesting opportunity has gone so awry and become a source of stress.

#17 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

robina,

I've been worrying about this a little too. They tore out all of our windows this past year - 2 of them sometime during my 1st trimester. I didn't even think about it until much later, but I'm sure there was lead in there. I'm glad to hear people talk about repeated, long-term exposure being the problem. It's impossible to get rid of all of the dust!! It's so scary, but I'm just trying to believe that it'll be fine. I wasn't there when they were doing the actual work, and the guys who did the windows when I was pg were much cleaner than the guys who did the windows earlier - what a mess!

Sounds like your home is going to be great!!!

(I'm going to see Joan on the 24th too. Seems like we're on the same schedule!)
#18 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Robina,
I haven't read the entire thread since my internet connection is totally unreliable and I may only be able to be on here for a minute or two (or it could be 30 minutes- who knows?) but I worried about this a lot when I was pg with ds. We had gutted our house (ca. 1923) and were putting it back together and I was living in it the whole time. Very nerve wracking! My son, however, is perfect! : I was never tested, but ate very well which can mitigate the effects of lead in your system.

Also, my nephew just got tested and had lead levels hovering around 10-12 (15 is considered "poisoned", I believe) I did a TON of research on this and his mom implemented some of the things I researched and his levels have come down to 5 in a matter of two months.

Here are a few things I learned:
Use a HEPA filter vac. and change/clean the filter as recommended by the manufacturer. Vacuum FREQUENTLY!

Dust FREQUENTLY (1-2X/wk) with moist PAPER TOWELS. Apparently the lead will persist in your washer and get on your clothes if you use cloth rags etc. Not very environmental, but better to use paper in this case.

Use cast iron for cooking. Your body will preferentially bind the iron (not the lead) since iron is a metal also and one your body *needs*.

Eat TONS of dark green leafy veggies. Sneak them into whatever sauce or salad you can!

Drink tons of water!

Hopefully your MW will order a blood test and that will put your mind at ease, but since lead is SO persistent, you'll probably end up having to do a lot of this after the baby is born and until they're out of the danger zone age.

I'm sorry you have to stress about this. It really sucks!
#19 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM

I know how worried you must feel! Like an idiot, I sanded some old paint in the kitchen in my old house (built in 1951) bc it was uneven. The project took a few days and created tons of dust, a bunch of which I'm sure I inhaled and a bit of which I'm sure we were never able to completely remove from the floors and cracks and crevices. I didn't even think about lead paint at the time. When I got PG I requested a blood test for lead and it was within normal limits. I think for it to be damaging to your health, you have to have long-term exposure or be very young and susceptible. Your little baby falls into that category, but I like to think that your body helps to protect him or her!

I would get the test to reassure myself if I were you. I would bet that everything is just fine! Congratulations on your beautiful new room, BTW!
#20 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy View Post
robina,

I've been worrying about this a little too. They tore out all of our windows this past year - 2 of them sometime during my 1st trimester. I didn't even think about it until much later, but I'm sure there was lead in there. I'm glad to hear people talk about repeated, long-term exposure being the problem. It's impossible to get rid of all of the dust!! It's so scary, but I'm just trying to believe that it'll be fine. I wasn't there when they were doing the actual work, and the guys who did the windows when I was pg were much cleaner than the guys who did the windows earlier - what a mess!

Sounds like your home is going to be great!!!

(I'm going to see Joan on the 24th too. Seems like we're on the same schedule!)
ugh, i'm sorry you have to worry about this, too. did you talk to joan about it?

how funny we're on the same schedule! are you going in the am or pm?
#21 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
Robina,
I haven't read the entire thread since my internet connection is totally unreliable and I may only be able to be on here for a minute or two (or it could be 30 minutes- who knows?) but I worried about this a lot when I was pg with ds. We had gutted our house (ca. 1923) and were putting it back together and I was living in it the whole time. Very nerve wracking! My son, however, is perfect! : I was never tested, but ate very well which can mitigate the effects of lead in your system.

Also, my nephew just got tested and had lead levels hovering around 10-12 (15 is considered "poisoned", I believe) I did a TON of research on this and his mom implemented some of the things I researched and his levels have come down to 5 in a matter of two months.

Here are a few things I learned:
Use a HEPA filter vac. and change/clean the filter as recommended by the manufacturer. Vacuum FREQUENTLY!

Dust FREQUENTLY (1-2X/wk) with moist PAPER TOWELS. Apparently the lead will persist in your washer and get on your clothes if you use cloth rags etc. Not very environmental, but better to use paper in this case.

Use cast iron for cooking. Your body will preferentially bind the iron (not the lead) since iron is a metal also and one your body *needs*.

Eat TONS of dark green leafy veggies. Sneak them into whatever sauce or salad you can!

Drink tons of water!

Hopefully your MW will order a blood test and that will put your mind at ease, but since lead is SO persistent, you'll probably end up having to do a lot of this after the baby is born and until they're out of the danger zone age.

I'm sorry you have to stress about this. It really sucks!
laura, thank you so much for the advice! i really, really hope this isn't a problem still when owlie is here, but we shall see! luckily we do have a hepa vac, but i had heard that the average ones wouldn't actually do much and we don't really have $500 to spend on the really heavy duty one. i guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it -- luckily, as i said above, we are rearranging all the rooms so this gives me a great chance to clean the heck out of everything pre-baby. and that one room is pretty detatched from the rest of the house...
#22 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissakc View Post
I know how worried you must feel! Like an idiot, I sanded some old paint in the kitchen in my old house (built in 1951) bc it was uneven. The project took a few days and created tons of dust, a bunch of which I'm sure I inhaled and a bit of which I'm sure we were never able to completely remove from the floors and cracks and crevices. I didn't even think about lead paint at the time. When I got PG I requested a blood test for lead and it was within normal limits. I think for it to be damaging to your health, you have to have long-term exposure or be very young and susceptible. Your little baby falls into that category, but I like to think that your body helps to protect him or her!

I would get the test to reassure myself if I were you. I would bet that everything is just fine! Congratulations on your beautiful new room, BTW!
oh, that's so reassuring. thanks for sharing! one of my friends' mom told her that when she was pregnant with my friend, she sanded off lead paint and put up new lead paint in the nursery! : this was in the mid-seventies. my friend is fine, however.
#23 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
ugh, i'm sorry you have to worry about this, too. did you talk to joan about it?

how funny we're on the same schedule! are you going in the am or pm?
I haven't talked to Joan about it. I'm kind of in denial that it's a problem. It was a much smaller renovation than you're talking about, but I have to admit I didn't get right on cleaning it up. I'll definitely be interested in what she says to you. Maybe I'll mention it to her this week too.

I'm going in at 8:30am. That's when I usually go because I work a normal job right now - highly unusual for me, and kind of hard to get used to! When's your appointment?
#24 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Jumping in a bit late to this thread. We live in an old home (1929), too, and prior to buying it, we were hyper concerned about the possibility of lead paint. We had a complete lead inspection prior to moving in. It's scary, thinking about the permanent damage lead poisoning can do! But you've discovered the hazards early. But here's some reassurance: with lots of education and preventative maintenance, our kids have remained lead-free throughout our home's renovations.

I won't inundate you with advice, but here are my top four tips for lead safety:

1.) Learn, learn, learn! You're doing this, and that's great. Don't take a well-meaning friend's anecdotal advice or thoughts as good enough--know the facts yourself. This is the only way to feel truly sure that you're dealing with it properly. Also, it keeps you from freaking out about things that may not even be true.

2.) Wet clean everything. Often. More so when your baby starts to be mobile. But especially when your renovations are done. Sounds like you're already on top of this, too. It's not the paint chips that are the biggest hazard--honestly, kids rarely eat them. It's the dust that you breathe.

3.) Have a full lead-based paint inspection in your house. In my area, $750 is average for a complete inspection. Though we are in a lower income bracket, we saved money just for this. I can't tell you how helpful it is, knowing where the hazards in my home were/are so that I can either safely abate them or keep my kids away from them.

4.) Do not allow shoes to be worn in your house. If you're not already culturally used to this idea, it could be a pain. But it will keep so much dust out of your house that it's worth the effort.

Best wishes! Your child will be blessed to have a mom who is so aware of lead-based paint hazards.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#25 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM

, Robina.

Sorry you're having to deal with this stress right now.
#26 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
not even be true.

4.) Do not allow shoes to be worn in your house. If you're not already culturally used to this idea, it could be a pain. But it will keep so much dust out of your house that it's worth the effort.

Best wishes! Your child will be blessed to have a mom who is so aware of lead-based paint hazards.

:

I don't know how I overlooked that one! I read somewhere that this alone will reduce lead dust in your house by 80% (I think this figure assumes that you have already eliminated internal sources...but that's A LOT!!) We take our shoes off inside for that reason too!

Also, washing your child's hands frequently as soon as they get tummy time or time on the floor and washing all toys that go into the child's mouth can cut down a lot on lead exposure.
#27 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa
washing your child's hands frequently as soon as they get tummy time or time on the floor and washing all toys that go into the child's mouth can cut down a lot on lead exposure.
Washing hands is crucial! But I said I didn't want to inundate her, so I kept it to four. But we wash our kids hands, thoroughly with soap, before every meal, after every playtime outside or at other people's houses, and before bed. It's the best way to keep lead dust out of their bodies.

If you're on the go, a great thing to have along is disposable baby wipes. This is the only disposable product I use regularly--we even use cloth wipes for bums, but disposables for hands! It keeps you from looking totally neurotic when at a friend's house for playtime. ("Come on, Junior, let's wash all of the nasty lead dust of your hands now, before you play anymore....") I wipe hands every hour or so, or after a particularly floor-y play time.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page