postpartum vegan holiday baking - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm only 2ish weeks postpartum and still not even spending much time downstairs...let alone cooking. BUT, I certainly don't want to go shopping and can't afford to anyway.

I guess I was feeling pretty scroogish at the end of my pregnancy, because I only bought gifts for my dds and my dh. I just got a couple of little cloth toys for ds last week.

I'd like to bake some other gifts for neighbors, etc...and I want to make things that we can all taste-test!

Any yummy, easy recipes to share? I'll share a cool baking ingredient that we just discovered: Organic Spectrum Palm Oil Spread!!!! Soy-free and you use it just like butter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Jessica, bless your heart for even WANTING to bake!

Do you have Cathe Olson's book? I'm a big fan. There are some molasses cookies with sunflower ans sesame seeds that are heathy and sooooo yummy...and freeze really well. Also, some no-bake nut butter balls (I think she calls them Energy something-or-other) that my DD and DH scarfed an entire plate of in one evening.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#3 of 6 Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM

normally i LOVE baking, and i would have been baking for at least 2 months by now for chistmas. i will bake and freeze things that can be frozen.

but speaking in "postpartum" terms......YEA RIGHT! i baked gingerbread cookies a couple weeks ago, and that was it! we ate them all already. i'm hoping to bake when we go to my parents this weekend while i have lots of help

#4 of 6 Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM

The Everything Cookies from Cathe's book are amazing--and can be vegan if you replace the butter with coconut oil or your palm oil spread.

She also has some scone recpes that sound yummy.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#5 of 6 Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Here are two recipes, currently in testing for my cookbook. I know it's a bit late for pumpkin, but I really love these scones:

Pumpkin Scones
8 scones

For the scones:
1/3 cup almond, rice, or soy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider or other vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
½ cup canned pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
pinch salt

For the glaze:
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly oil a baking sheet, and set aside.

Make the scones: In a medium bowl or 2-cup measure, whisk together the almond milk, vinegar, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla. Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.

Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, and pour in the liquid mixture. Using a flexible spatula, make a scraping-scooping-pressing sort of motion to gently combine the two. When you have only a few streaks of flour left in the dough, remove it to a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough evenly into a circle 6” in diameter and about 1 ½” high. Using a sharp knife, cut the mound into eight wedges; it should be fairly sticky and a bit misshapen; that’s okay. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.

Bake until firm and just baked through (insert a knife; if it comes out clean, they’re done), 12-15 minutes.

Make the glaze: Whisk all glaze ingredients together. When poured into itself, ribbons of glaze should just disappear on the surface.

Transfer scones to a cooling rack, and drizzle with glaze while slightly warm. Alternately, for uniformly-glazed tops, prepare glaze in a shallow dish. Dip the top of each still-warm scone into the glaze, nuzzling it in to reach any nooks. Turn upright, and return to rack.

While best fresh-baked, the scones will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days (although the glaze will cause them to soften slightly). For faux-fresh scones, leave unglazed and crisp in a 350º F oven for 3-5 minutes. Glaze as directed.

and a very easy, lower-fat gingerbread. I serve it layered with a silken tofu lemon cream and pears for a Gingered Pear Trifle:

Gingerbread
This gingerbread is at once richly spicy and gossamer-light. Use as part of the Gingered Pear Trifle, or simply dust with powdered sugar and serve.

½ cup canola oil
½ cup sugar
½ cup molasses
¼ cup applesauce
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350º F. Oil and flour a 9”x 9” square or 9” round baking pan, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, molasses, and applesauce.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry mixture and boiling water alternately in several batches, beginning and ending with the dry. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.

Bake 35-40 minutes, until the top springs back when pressed, or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely in the pan.

The gingerbread will keep well in an airtight container, at room temperature or refrigerated, for several days.
#6 of 6 Old 12-29-2014, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can find the best stand mixer for baking here http://homestandmixerreviews.com/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page