sleep positions for mamas - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it ok to sleep on the stomach throughout the pregnancy, especially in the 1st trimester when you dont have the bump? I dont me getting any kind of sleep until i hear I can fall alseep on the tummy..... for the past 22 years, thats the only way. DH told me I cant sleep for 9 months then....... 5weeks preggers today...... and intend on sleeping on the belly for the night!!!!! but if anyone has any insight, i would appreciate it...... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 12:28 AM

I too am a stomach sleeper. When I was pg with ds I found it incredibly difficult to not sleep on my stomach. As a general rule...I continue to sleep on my stomach until it becomes uncomfortable to do so. Believe me...there will definitely come a time when it will be VERY clear that sleeping on your stomach is the last thing you'll physically want to do!
#3 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah ditto here. Definitely the only thing that feels soothing and comfy at night is to sleep on my stomach, expect when the belly starts feeling uncomfortable. I say do it as long as it feels comfy.

Once my belly started to GROW, I used a long body pillow and slept on my side or sort of 3/4 with a knee slung over. It gave me the hug/comfort/tactile feeling I like. I missed it when we put it away to co-sleep though. Sigh...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Me +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dh =
Dd1(9.5 yrs) +
Dd2(7 yrs) and
Ds(4.5 yrs)

#4 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM

I'm a tummy sleeper too, and have had to stop already, I'm 6 weeks today and I've been getting woken up with terrible heartburn, but the nights I've used the body pillow or laying on my back I've been able to not get it. So sadly I've got to quit the tummy sleeping already I'm sure going to miss it! Side laying just doesn't cut it for me!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#5 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm a stomach sleeper too, and usually stay that way until the 8th month or so. Then my big belly forces me onto my side, but I'm still usually rolled forward slightly.

Emily
#6 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Last pregnancy the dr. said I could sleep however I wanted until it became uncomfortable. After I couldn't sleep on my tummy I slept on my side with a pillow between my knees.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#7 of 13 Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM

I have to say, this is the one thing I'm dreading, huge belly and trying to sleep!

Never worked out for me.

I am going to get one of these for my very pg sister and now I think for me too:

http://www.onestopbaby.com/Pregnancypillowcolors.html

But, does anyone know of a product that lets you sleep on your stomach? Or is that wishful thinking?

Kimber
#8 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 03:23 AM

Yep, ditto to Emily. I must be on my stomach or side at all times! I think it's perfectly fine to sleep on your stomach as long as it's comfortable. I know I will be.
#9 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM

One thing I remember from the last pregnancy was towards the end I liked having a pillow behind my back and right under my belly. I'd lay on my side tilted my belly into the pillow and hiked my leg up. Hehe sounds more complicated than it was, but it got me through.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#10 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Until it's no longer comfortable, absolutely! ANY position you can sleep in is fine. The myth over back sleeping has no merit - you will adjust yourself, even asleep, before any harm comes to you or baby.

ANY way you can get sleep, do it!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#11 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Irony of the sleeping on your back thing is they put you flat on your back for L/D *sigh*

#12 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
Irony of the sleeping on your back thing is they put you flat on your back for L/D *sigh*
LMAO!

....well, they TRY...

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#13 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bja View Post
LMAO!

....well, they TRY...
They aren't gettin me this time thats for sure! I'm homebirthing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page