When did you lose your milk? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS will be turning 2 in June and still nurses a lot. I'm worried about losing my milk - I've heard some keep it until 20 weeks, but a friend of mine said she lost her milk right away! DS is going to freak out if it just disappears! I am worried that when/if my supply drops, he is going to be asking to nurse 8,000 times a day because he's not getting satisfied and wants more.. eek! 8 months is going to be a looooong time to dry nurse until there's something there again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM

When I got pg with DD#2, my milk dried up almost instantly... however, DD#1 was feeding on a schedule and didn't have a great latch. I'm sure that was part of the problem. DD#2 just went through a growth spurt, and I'm now leaking milk again, in spite of being 6 wks pg.

One of my best friends said her milk dried up about month 5, but her 2 1/2 year old DD continued to dry nurse until she got colostrum at month 7. Her DD is not ready to wean yet and will most likely be tandem nursing with her sibling in the next two months.

I also know another woman who claims she never lost her milk and because her toddler was nursing so frequently, she never got engorged when her baby was born.

I'm really hoping to be able to tandem nurse. I'm just encouraging DD#2 to nurse as frequently and as long as she wants to help keep my supply up. Of course, I might feel differently if it was painful to nurse, but thankfully I haven't had any discomfort.

Emily
#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 PM

I think my milk was gone at about 22 wks. We were doing a very gentle weaning anyway - he continued to dry nurse at bedtime only until a week ago (26 wks pregnant, ds 26 mo)

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!

#4 of 7 Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM

OMG!! I could have written your post Bughead!!! DS will be 2 in June also and I am so worried about nursing for him. He loves it!!

Thanks for posting this - I am also worried about nipple and breast pain.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#5 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 AM

my midwife told me last time I was pregnant that even if the milk doesn't dry up the taste changes and some children are turned off by it. she said her sons were all really avid nursers and night nursers until about the fifth month of her next pregnancy and they would just suddenly self ween. I would also like to tandem nurse if possible, but some other people I have talked to have also said that their children suddenly didn't like it anymore.
#6 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Seems like I was about 15 weeks when I lost my milk when pg with #2.

35 yo mom to ds1 (8), ds2 (6), dd (3), and oops big surprise #4 edd 12/19/11

#7 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

by the time i was about 3 months pregnant with my daughter i felt like my milk was pretty much gone. i never had a super substantial supply but nursing him got so painful. we gently weened and i planned to nurse him after but he decided that he was too big once the baby was born. they are 3 years apart minus a month im still nursing her a ton, so lets hope that if i am pregnant my milk will stick around. i wouldn't ween this time, even if my milk does dissapear ..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page