Increased heart rate? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I happened to get my BP checked today at the drugstore with one of those self-testing machines. My BP was normal both times I checked, but my heart rate was pretty high! Usually, my heart rate is around 70-75, now its 93! No wonder I feel like my heart is racing sometimes! Any one notice this or remember this from previous pregnancies? (I never found out my heart rate for my first pregnancy)

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Did you make sure that you sat down and relaxed for a few moments before doing the test? You can monitor your heartrate pretty easy by watching a second hand while counting your pulse; count for 6 seconds, then take your number and add a zero. In my water aerobics class the teacher says a pregnant heartrate should not exceed 150 (working out, obviously) regardless of your resting heartrate. hope that helps!
#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 06:23 PM

I think it's totally normal. We have so much more blood to deal with now, and I have read that increased resting heart rate is completely normal for pregnancy. Plus, I would imagine that the drugstore isn't the most relaxing of all places (just a guess).

I notice my heart rate more after climbing a flight of stairs where I wouldn't pre-pregnancy.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

#4 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a bit of an update:
I ended up going to the ER on Sunday. My heartrate was all over the place. It was speeding up, slowing down, skipping beats, very worrisome. Of course, by time I got to the ER, it went back to normal. The intern there did suspect that she heard a PVC? premature ventricular contraction? So they want to put a halter monitor on me for 24 hours to see if they can get anymore information.
I wish I could say I was overdoing it at the time this happened, but all I was doing was dusting shelves at work ...while sitting on the floor what can I say, we were veeeeeery quiet that day.

#5 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. If it makes you feel any better, I had a cardiac workup last spring (at my request, the dr thought I was nuts). I have always felt "skipped" beats and struggled with anxiety and sometimes racing heartrate. Some PVCs did show up on my monitor (actually, PSVCs, premature supra ventricular contractions). They are considered benign and just annoying. I go through spurts where they are more/less frequent and I have had them during this pregnancy, probably a dozen or so a day. My heartrate always speeds up right after because of my anxiety about them and if I get really hot or anxious they are more likely to happen. That being said, there are those random ones that happen while I am relaxing or laying in bed.

It did make me feel better to know that they were real, that I wasn't crazy, and most of all that it wasn't a health concern. Avoiding caffeine and MSG really has helped me overall.

I hope your monitor results come back soon and you begin to feel reassured!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#6 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 AM

I've had a irregular heart beat for a week now. 2 days straight. then on and off. the studdering , skipping, racing feeling. It's worse when i lay down and relax, go figure, i read that it happens to 50 % of pregnant women. My acupuncturist said it was fine and normal. still it is very worrysome. Hope you are well. Let me know how you are doing.
#7 of 9 Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 AM

I have not had the racing but I have had the feeling that it is skipping beats or quivering...kind of hard to describe. Anyone have those? I get them sometimes lots an hour and then none at all for hours and hours...

Since getting into a very bad car accident about a year and a half ago I have suffered with anxiety. Plus I have a thyroid disorder. So between those two things and just being pregnant I am reading that its totally normal. I still want to mention to my midwife because I am paranoid like that. :

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#8 of 9 Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 AM

I just had to share with you ladies a discussion I had today with a co-worker who is 23wks along with her first. She does not know I'm pregnant now, but was sharing to see my experience from last pregnancy. She said she had been to the cardiologist because since before she even knew she was pregnant she had racing, pounding, sometimes skipping heart beat. Her OB was not at all concerned, but she went anyway and had a EKG and Echo and is totally fine. The cardiologist explained the extra demand on the heart, the fact that this happens for a reason and it's totally harmless. She said she went through this whole thing about how she thought being pregnant would feel wonderful and the dr said "No, not for everyone, you are doing a lot of hard work all the time and every organ has to be on over-drive". It was very comforting for me to hear (not that she's having the issue, but that many people are and it is totally normal).

That being said, I think I have figured out a way to minimize my issues. If I avoid eating too much and just have really frequent, small snacks I do much better. I'm not sure if it's tied into a blood sugar thing or just feeling stuffed. Also, it is so tied into anxiety for me so that's always something to try and minimize

Hope everyone is feeling well.

To the OP, did you get the results from your 24-hr halter monitor yet?

#9 of 9 Old 07-22-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Hi!
Nice to know I'm not alone.
I haven't got my results back yet. It takes about a week, so I'll know more next Thurs-Fri. My dh thinks it might have to do with my thyroid, which is just possible since my family has a history of thyroid problems.
I actually find that if I am exercising or walking, I have no problems with my heart, just when I'm relaxed. I think I freaked my doctor out a little though, apparently my heart was skipping beats at my appointment when he was checking my heart Kept asking if I felt it, which I didn't.
I'll let you all know how it turns out, thanks for your concern :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page