Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   January 2008 (https://www.mothering.com/forum/407-january-2008/)
-   -   all drastically different birth places? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/407-january-2008/711982-all-drastically-different-birth-places.html)

AngelaB 07-14-2007 07:22 PM

So far I have had all three of my children in different towns and will have this babe in a different state!!
My first was a c-section in Salina ks
2nd was vbac a hospital in Manhattan ks one hour away
3rd was vbac at a birth center in Topeka ks 2 hours away
4th will be at home in Des moines Iowa

Its a natural and inevitable course for me to take but I feel quite proud and valuable to have had so many different experiences to share! I am a bit nervous about a home birth but it does really seem right and I am not nervous in the way that I would change my mind or even really second guess this decision since its my only option for me to have a vaginal birth.

Anyone else have different birth experiences with your babes?
Angela

impromptukiss 07-14-2007 09:21 PM

neat!

not as drastic:
#1 - military hospital in pensacola, fl
#2 - homebirth in virginia beach, va
#3 - homebirth in chesapeake, va

leewd 07-16-2007 01:04 PM

While mine have not been all that different (1 natural hospital, 1 homebirth, another homebirth planned), I was curious about something you said:

Quote:
since its my only option for me to have a vaginal birth
Why is that? You've had 2 vaginal births since your c/s. You should no longer be disqualified for a VBAC anywhere (hospital, birth center, etc.)

????

AngelaB 07-16-2007 03:45 PM

The doctors that do vbacs here have to be with you the whole labor and they still try to coerse you into needless intervention. The anestesiologist has to be there too. The vbac climate isnt so great here, from what I can tell so far. There are ways to get around it but even the mws who practice with doc support dont do them.

I am considered still high risk even though I have proven to be fine twice before. Once a scar always a scar I guess.
The birth center here does vbac however its way too expensive and since Im not working there is just no way and I didnt click with her either.

It was the same way in ks only no mw in my area that would travel that far and thats why we went to the bc.
I think its mainly the hospitals policies. One hospital here still allows vbacs but with strict limitations that I just dont want to fight on my own since dp will be traveling from ks for the birth if all goes well but there is still the possibility that it will just be me and my doula (whom I have yet to find!). i remember not being able to advocate for myself with my hospital vbac and thank the gods for dp or I would have probably had a traumatic birth.

So when I said "its my only way to have a vbac" I included all the other factors in there too.

My mw was telling me about a mom who had 1 section and 6 vbacs in equador and then came home and was still considered high risk. Crazy unfair huh!
Angela

leewd 07-20-2007 03:12 PM

Angela -

Well, Thank God for Home Birth Midwives! At least you have an option.

It absolutely amazes me how freaky DRs and hospitals are about VBAC when all the hard science points to it being safer than c/s!

--LEE

AngelaB 07-20-2007 06:49 PM

It is getting scary and whats really scary is that it seems to be getting worse. Maybe I cant see it clearly from my point of view or all childbirth is being managed more agressively by the medical community or what but it makes me feel the beginings of the fight or flight response when I think about it. yuky feeling to have when refering to a blessed event.

oh well I have managed to find a way so far and my births just keep getting better!
Angela

ollineeba 07-20-2007 11:25 PM

Mine have been different each time:
#1 c/s- terrible experience, although I got a gorgeous baby out of it
#2 VBAC in hospital with awesome midwife- 10 days past due date, 8lbs15oz baby
#3 is looking like it will be a homebirth (if things work out with the midwife we're supposed to be meeting with soon)

AngelaB 07-21-2007 07:17 PM

Congrats on the VBAC mama2babybeans! It sounds like we are on the same path! Its been weird for me to travel so far to birth my babes and then to end up at home! I just hope it all works out.
Angela

ollineeba 07-21-2007 10:58 PM

Thanks, Angela! You, too
I didn't travel quite as far as you did, but we had to drive a little over an hour to see our midwife and to get to the hospital to have dd. I thought I would hate the drive, but it was so peaceful and quiet since it was the middle of the night. I wish I could have stayed in the car We had taken the back seat out of the van and I sat on my little bean bag chair, it was great.
I think it will be so nice this time not to have to pack anything, just to stay home and hide out.
Are your older children excited?